PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Enlarger

Derek Lincoln
12th May 2010, 07:21 PM
I gave up my darkroom a couple of years ago - bad move. I have now been offered a Gamer Super Colour Enlarger with colour head for variable contrast papers, together with 50mm & 75mm lens and associated condensers for £10. Can you give me any advice regards Gamer enlargers? I still use film but miss the smell of chemicals!

ChrisN
12th May 2010, 11:16 PM
Derek - welcome to the forum!

I am similarly the beneficiary of a good enlarger at a giveaway price. I don't know the Gamer, but I'm sure someone else here will know about it. Cheers!

Dave miller
13th May 2010, 06:14 AM
I recognise the name, a British make long out of production, but as it’s got a colour head it must be one of their last models. For £10 you can't go too far wrong.

Welcome to the forum.

Richard Gould
13th May 2010, 07:06 AM
Hi Derek and welcome to the forum,Gamer was a well respected English make and very well made, if it has a color head it must be one of their last models.It was very rugged, and for $10 for a kit that gives you a 35mm and mf enlarger you can't go wrong so I would grab it and get that darkroom going again,Have fun,Richard

B&W Neil
13th May 2010, 07:41 AM
Hello Derek and welcome to FADU. The new enlarger sounds good -
here is a bit from a Gamer user which may help:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimsimon/Equipmentandtechniques.html#Enlarger

Made in Somerset by all account and in a proper engineering shop :)

Neil.

Mike O'Pray
13th May 2010, 06:06 PM
Interesting site Neil. He is almost there. Seems to have a hankering to try darkroom printing work again. I wonder what stops him?

Mike

Richard Gould
13th May 2010, 06:22 PM
Very Interesting site,Neil,Thanks,Maybe if he found this forum he coulld be bought back to the dark side,Richard

B&W Neil
13th May 2010, 09:05 PM
I only read about the Gamer and missed out on his personal habits ;)

Neil.

Ben H
14th May 2010, 06:46 PM
I've got an old Gamer enlarger, which my dad brought new many moons ago! If it is as well built as this one it can be bad!

B&W Neil
14th May 2010, 07:25 PM
I've got an old Gamer enlarger, which my dad brought new many moons ago! If it is as well built as this one it can be bad!

They certainly look built to last and a nice piece of kit. It is such a shame that the British enlarger manufactures (such as De Vere and Gamer etc) are no longer with us :-(

Neil.

Richard Gould
14th May 2010, 07:33 PM
Talking about British enlargers, anyone remember Gnome, the first enlarger I ever had,I was around 15 and it served me well for many years untill I got a MF camera and needed a bigger enlarger and got hold of an old MPP enlarger, another great british firm no longer with us,Ah nostalgia Richard

Ben H
14th May 2010, 08:36 PM
Thats the only reason I've had to get another enlarger is to do 645, Still have both set up though.

JimW
15th May 2010, 10:02 AM
Aaah nostalgia-still, even nostalgia's not what it used to be......

Roger Hicks
17th May 2010, 10:39 PM
Gamers were superb. Unless I am conflating them with another enlarger, they were for people who found Leitz enlargers to be cheap and flimsy.

Cheers,

R

Mike O'Pray
17th May 2010, 11:00 PM
Roger I don't think you've got it wrong. The picture that was offered of the Gamer make it look to have the engineering and strength of the Forth Rail Bridge

Mike