PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is allowed...

Brock
22nd May 2010, 09:22 PM
As well as doing prints from my 35mm negs when I get back into the darkroom, I've also got a very high quality film recorder. The idea is to make high res scans of medium format and 5x4 negs and composite files from around 10 Nikon D700 images. If I can get big enough files on the computer this way I can upload them to the film recorder and record them onto 10x8 black and white film for contact printing in the darkroom. I can start with a film neg and end by doing a silver gelatin print in the darkroom. It's the bit in between that might be the problem! Any pointers you can give would be welcomed.

JimW
22nd May 2010, 09:28 PM
Don't know about film recording, as I've not got one. But people have used ink-jet transparencies to achieve the same kind of result. Once you have the file saved as a master, you can tweak the image to ink-jet transparency. and contact the transparency.

Brock
22nd May 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Jim,

I'd thought about using that technique before I got the film recorder and might still give it a go. From what I've read, the film recorder route gives better quality but I've yet to see if that's the case. The reason I've decided to go down this route is because I didn't like the digital printer output I was getting but appreciated the creative possibilities of Photoshop. I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds: the look of film and fibre-based prints and Photoshop's ability to do all the stuff that can be very difficult under an enlarger.

Bob
22nd May 2010, 09:35 PM
Sorry but digital intermediate steps are outside the remit of the forum - we like to concentrate on the non-digital stuff. Due to that, I am closing this thread but will leave it visible in case someone wants to contact you privately about the subject via PM or email.