PDA

View Full Version : Monopods

Andrew Bartram
25th May 2010, 03:00 PM
There have been a couple of threads on lightweight tripods/monopods but I can't find any specific recommendations for a monopod that will take MF SLR with longish (200mm) lens max.
Fairly open minded regarding make/price etc - presumably ball and socket head to keep weight down?

Suggestions keenly anticpated.

Larry
25th May 2010, 03:50 PM
Hi and good afternoon Andrew

Your message prompted me to offer an update on a similar post I made, well I did purchase a Manfroto 681B with a 234RC head that has a removeable base plate for quick & easy use.

So far it shown to be very good and wouldn't hesitate to recommend as it sturdy and firm yet, very stable and less than 1Kg overall. It certainly beats my lugging my 6Kg studio tripod in the field.

Got mine from Amazon uk as two seperate items.

I've tried it with my Nikon F5+180mm fixed lens total 2.15Kg and a Bronica ERTSi + 150mm lens with speedgrip about 2.6Kg.

I'm sure others with offer some suggestions but so far it's been a good investment resulting in sharper images. Best of luck.

Larry

Richard Gould
25th May 2010, 04:50 PM
I have a velbon monopod with a Jessops ball and socket head and I have used it with a bronica etrs with a 200mm lens down to 15 without any problems, I have had it for a while, I think it cost around $21 to $22, it is very light and easy to carry,I still use today with all of my cameras in low light, with 35mm down to 1/2 sec without problems,try it, easier and lighter than a tripod,Richard

Andrew Bartram
25th May 2010, 05:33 PM
Gents

I had read both your earlier threads so it was really useful to hear the updates.

I have some Amazon vouchers so good news all round

Thanks

Andrew

Phil
27th May 2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Andrew - Walters Photo and Video in Wales have the Gitzo G1560 in stock for £80. It'll last a lifetime and support loads of up to 13kg!
That's quite cheap for a new Gitzo btw!
Phil

Phil
27th May 2010, 09:52 AM
Sorry - it's capacity is 8kg . . . still enough though . . .