PDA

View Full Version : Fomatone paper base weight

Miha
3rd June 2010, 06:00 PM
Can anyone tell me if the whole Fomatone (131/132, 532II, and 542II) family share the same base weight/thickness?

Thanks,
Miha

Miha
4th June 2010, 06:46 PM
Ok, it might help if I revert the question a bit: Is Fomatone classic 131/132 a premium weight paper (heavier than Ilford!) that dries almost completely flat?

Miha

Neil Smith
4th June 2010, 07:02 PM
I have just had a look at a couple of prints, one on Fomatone Classic and one on Ilford Multigrade and I would say there is not much between them, but without being able to measure precisely my guess would be the Ilford is very slightly heavier. I am presuming Ilford haven't changed the paper weight of Multigrade, because the Ilford print is printed on old paper.
In my experience no FB paper dries what I would call almost flat, but dried back to back its pretty flat.

Neil

Jon Butler
4th June 2010, 07:03 PM
No it's lighter than Ilford, Or should I say thiner. It's the only thing I don't like about these papers, I much prefer heavy weight paper stock.
All the papers I have ever used dry flat.
JON.

Miha
4th June 2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you Neil and Jon. My only experience is with the original Fomatone chamois 542 (not II) which is heavier/thicker (felt by hand) than Ilford and dries flat indeed. I still have some left and despite being around 8 years old it's still not affected in any way. I love it but would also like to try something with gloss finish so 131 came to my mind. The only reference so far is from Tim Rudman, where he stated that it's coated on 235g base: http://www.alternativephotography.com/pdf/lith_materials_update5_2Sep_2008.pdf

Miha