PDA

View Full Version : Hypo Clear

Neil Smith
5th June 2010, 10:00 AM
I noticed on my Kodak HCA that it says stock solution can only be kept for 3 months. I was just wondering do people here stick to this or is this a conservative estimate. As it is so cheap it is not too much of a problem, but I can't see me using the whole packet in that time and I hate waste.

I am interested if people here stick to this.

Neil

vanannan
5th June 2010, 12:03 PM
I noticed on my Kodak HCA that it says stock solution can only be kept for 3 months. I was just wondering do people here stick to this or is this a conservative estimate. As it is so cheap it is not too much of a problem, but I can't see me using the whole packet in that time and I hate waste.

I am interested if people here stick to this

Neil

I mix my selenium toner with hypo clear so I am not very keen on throwing it away.

Richard Gould
5th June 2010, 04:45 PM
I don"t stick to this, I have been known to have stock solution of HC fr up to a year, seemingly with no ill effects, I just use the stock solution untill it is used up, then mix more,Richard

Stan160
22nd June 2010, 03:16 PM
You could also buy a tub of Sodium Sulphite and stir a tablespoonful per litre of water to make working strength hypo-clear solution whenever you need it. Cheap enough to pour away at the end of the session and not worry about storage.
Ian

Neil Smith
22nd June 2010, 05:10 PM
You could also buy a tub of Sodium Sulphite and stir a tablespoonful per litre of water to make working strength hypo-clear solution whenever you need it. Cheap enough to pour away at the end of the session and not worry about storage.
Ian

thanks for that suggestion, is this just as effective as hypo for archival standard processing?

Neil

Martin Aislabie
22nd June 2010, 07:59 PM
thanks for that suggestion, is this just as effective as hypo for archival standard processing?

Neil

Yes

If you want, buy a copy of the Darkroom Cookbook 3rd Ed - its in there

Silverprint sell it - unless you are using it everyday the 500g Tub lasts a long time

Martin

Neil Smith
23rd June 2010, 08:08 AM
Yes

If you want, buy a copy of the Darkroom Cookbook 3rd Ed - its in there

Silverprint sell it - unless you are using it everyday the 500g Tub lasts a long time

Martin

Thanks Martin I don't have much experience of raw chemicals so I have much to learn in this department.

Neil

Bob
23rd June 2010, 08:32 PM
I think that commercial hypo clear is mostly sodium sulphite with some added buffering, water softener and preservative - none of which additions are necessary if making up one batch and then dumping afterwards. I do find I need to mix the sulphite in hot water and let it cool or it does not dissolve completely. Perhaps a pinch of Calgon in hard water areas might be useful but I've not tried that.

Neil Smith
24th June 2010, 04:59 PM
I think that commercial hypo clear is mostly sodium sulphite with some added buffering, water softener and preservative - none of which additions are necessary if making up one batch and then dumping afterwards. I do find I need to mix the sulphite in hot water and let it cool or it does not dissolve completely. Perhaps a pinch of Calgon in hard water areas might be useful but I've not tried that.

Thanks Bob all info gratefully received.

Neil