PDA

View Full Version : Cwmorthin in October 2010

B&W Neil
7th June 2010, 02:09 PM
Cwmorthin weekend: October 15th /16th/17th, 2010

Richard Ross and I are visiting Cwmorthin in October over the weekend of the 15th/16th /17th. Our aim is to concentrate on Cwmorthin but if the weather conditions are too bad for Cwmorthin alternative locations will be visited.

Weather permitting we shall be spending the 16th and 17th at Cwmorthin, photographing the remains of the Welsh slate quarrying industry that lies around Llyn Cwmorthin, we may also visit some of the lesser – visited abandoned workings at the higher levels if the conditions are favourable.

This in an informal weekend and we are just revisiting one of our favourite locations for a relaxing weekend of walking and photography. If any friend would like to join us for the weekend, or to come along for one of the days, we would be very pleased to have their company.

We shall be staying at the Queens Hotel in Porthmadog:

Queens Hotel, Stryd Fawr, Porthmadog, LL49 9HT

Tel: 01766 512583

We have used the Queens before and have found it friendly and good value for money. Being a pub that provides B&B there are not many rooms so book early if you want to stay there. If you do contact the Queens Hotel quote Neil Souch and FADU as the owner has assured me he will look after you. We are each booked in for the nights of the 15th & 16th.

A few items about Cwmorthin

Should you want to go direct to the start of the walk and meet us there the OS for the Cwmorthin car park is: SH 684 453. Check with me by PM for start times etc.

From the car park there is rather a steep walk up a broad rough track. Expect a maximum gradient 1:4, for 0.6 miles, which will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes going normally, but doing it in your own time is fine.

Once at Lyn Cwmorthin the going is much easier, to reach the upper levels another steep ascent is required, but any further mountain climbing will be optional ;)

At Llyn Cwmorthin there is a lot to photograph by exploring the mainly level tracks that run alongside the Llyn. If you have not been here before you will be very busy :)

Equipment

As is the case in mountainous areas the weather conditions can change unexpectedly so good walking boots and outdoor wet weather clothing is recommended. Even if it is sunny when we start off it should still be carried with you.

If the light remains good on the mountain we could be there for four to five hours so bring along a drink and some energy snacks to keep you going.

Other

If you would like to find out more please make a post here or send me a PM. Mid October should be a good time to be there – come and catch the light!

Neil.

Dave miller
7th June 2010, 02:26 PM
Ok, I've booked my room. Ģ35 per night B&B. Now all I have to do is arrange to borrow Barry's all-terrain flip-flops and I'll be ready to go.
By the way the post code is LL49 9HT

B&W Neil
7th June 2010, 03:13 PM
Good to have you with us Dave. Hob- nailed flippers are quite popular - we shall try to arrange some good weather for you, but no promises :D

Thanks for the post code correction - done!

Neil.

Rob Archer
7th June 2010, 05:12 PM
Sorely tempted - but I'll have to see what I'm doing nearer the time.

Rob

B&W Neil
7th June 2010, 05:15 PM
I hope you can make it Rob. Accommodation is not a problem in that area in October if the Queens gets booked up. They do a nice pint of real ale as well :-)

Neil.

Neil Smith
7th June 2010, 05:59 PM
I hope I can make it, I am usually quieter in October and my wife and I have friends we often visit in Llanberis so it could be very handy for the two of us.

Can I just point out It's Llyn not Lyn, welsh for Lake, sorry to be a pedant. It's the difficult double L to pronounce in welsh.

Neil

du a gwyn
7th June 2010, 07:23 PM
if it my weekend off(work) count me in boys,and i can help with the Welsh as well.I can even help with the guide!!my best friend O.Tudur Owen lives close by and knows all the history of Cwmorthin.Most of you know him from his days with Best of Friends,I know Richard know's him.
hwyl am y tro.

Paul.
7th June 2010, 07:43 PM
Do not know if I can make the whole weekend but as it is only 2.5 hours from me am seriously considering traveling up for at least one of the days.
Would hope for a damp day or two as the light on those damp tailings is spectacular, take lots and lots of film.

Paul.

B&W Neil
7th June 2010, 09:14 PM
I hope I can make it, I am usually quieter in October and my wife and I have friends we often visit in Llanberis so it could be very handy for the two of us.

Can I just point out It's Llyn not Lyn, welsh for Lake, sorry to be a pedant. It's the difficult double L to pronounce in welsh.

Neil

It would be good to see you there Neil. Thanks for the correction of the Welsh Llyn :-)

Neil.

mono
7th June 2010, 09:16 PM
Wish I could be there again and meet you,
itīs a very interesting place!

B&W Neil
7th June 2010, 09:17 PM
if it my weekend off(work) count me in boys,and i can help with the Welsh as well.I can even help with the guide!!my best friend O.Tudur Owen lives close by and knows all the history of Cwmorthin.Most of you know him from his days with Best of Friends,I know Richard know's him.
hwyl am y tro.

Great news - and thanks for you offers. Local help and knowledge is always welcome.

Neil.

B&W Neil
7th June 2010, 09:20 PM
Do not know if I can make the whole weekend but as it is only 2.5 hours from me am seriously considering traveling up for at least one of the days.
Would hope for a damp day or two as the light on those damp tailings is spectacular, take lots and lots of film.

Paul.

Paul,

We aim to lay on a nice damp with some soft light so do get along if you are only 2.5 hours away. Hope to see you there on one of the days.

Neil.

B&W Neil
8th June 2010, 09:03 AM
Folker, pity you can't make it this time.

Neil.

B&W Neil
8th June 2010, 09:10 AM
This is a 'who will be there and who might be there list.' It will be updated from time to time so come back from time to time to check on who's going. If you spot any errors please let me know.

Don't forget it is OK to just come along for an hour or so if you live locally or if you are otherwise committed try to do a day. It up to you to decide what is best for you.

RH Designs (Richard Ross)
B&W Neil (Neil)
Dave
du a gwn + Tudur Owen
Paul ( one day to be advised)
Xpres (Saturday morning)
Keith Tapscott (staying three nights)
DuncanC
Neil Smith
Paul G

Rob Archer (possible)
Barry (possible)

Neil.

Xpres
10th June 2010, 09:20 AM
I have a place about twenty minutes away from Porthmadog so may well join you during the day - need to check the diary.

B&W Neil
10th June 2010, 11:19 AM
I have a place about twenty minutes away from Porthmadog so may well join you during the day - need to check the diary.

Hopefully you be free :) I'll put you down as a possible , do come along if you can to put some names to faces and have natter.

Neil.

Neil Smith
12th June 2010, 09:06 AM
If I can make it, which I hope to I would be staying with friends in Llanberis with my better half.

Neil

RH Designs
12th June 2010, 03:06 PM
Just back from a week's holiday - nice to see there's some interest! As Neil says it's an informal meeting and I suppose we have to say in these litigious times it's "entirely at your own risk".

For those feeling fitter the Rhosydd Quarry further up the mountain is if anything even more interesting and I'll probably spend some time up there on at least one of the days, weather permitting. Being a mountainous area the weather can change rapidly so wet weather gear is definitely a must (Neil and I got absolutely soaked on our first visit) and make sure you have waterproof bags for your photographic kit as well. A good pair of stout boots is a must too.

I do know Tudur Owen but it's some time since I've spoken to him, he's not into computers else it would be nice to have him on this forum.

The Queen's proved to be a comfortable place to stay. Don't be put off that it's next to the railway station because it's well soundproofed and the line is not busy by any means. My room overlooked the railway but I wasn't disturbed at all.

There's a website (http://www.cwmorthin.co.uk/) with information about the quarries, and Google finds loads more.

See you then :)

du a gwyn
12th June 2010, 03:49 PM
Richard,I'm affraid that Tudur has wondered over to thr 'D' ,he was at my house the over day and said that he still get to the darkroom every now and then.I haven't told him yet that he's 'the' guide yet,but i know he'll enjoy the day with us.We are suppose to go and do some photography together this week..
hwyl am y tro.

RH Designs
12th June 2010, 04:38 PM
I must admit I had Tudur down as a diehard darkroom man, just shows how long it is since we spoke! Please give him my best wishes when you see him.

RH Designs
13th June 2010, 08:51 AM
For those concerned about the "steep climb" up to the first level of the quarry, it's 0.6 miles from the car park to the edge of the lake. The total ascent is 315 feet at a maximum gradient of about 1 in 4 (25%). The climb covers about half the distance, after that it levels out. It's an "unmade road" rather than a path so the going is not difficult. Just steep :D.

From there it's about another level(ish) 0.6 miles to another interesting group of buildings, and then a climb of 500 feet or so and another 0.6 miles to Rhosydd Quarry.

Dave Sallery's websites (http://www.penmorfa.com/Rhosydd/) offer a good introduction to the area.

Xpres
13th June 2010, 09:11 AM
Looks like I can be there from Saturday morning. :)

mono
13th June 2010, 03:03 PM
Thank you for the link, Richard.
I thought I knew Cmn Orthin, now I know I didnīt ;-)
Very informative.
I have to revisit that area!

Dave miller
13th June 2010, 07:34 PM
Snip.

I have to revisit that area!
And a good time to do so would be next October. ;)

mono
14th June 2010, 07:13 AM
Dave, I know, I know,
but we canīt leave our two old and sick doggies alone.
Believe me, I would have been the first to sign in!
Perhaps, if they...
NO, I even might not think of that!

Paul.
14th June 2010, 03:47 PM
For those concerned about the "steep climb" up to the first level of the quarry, it's 0.6 miles from the car park to the edge of the lake. The total ascent is 315 feet at a maximum gradient of about 1 in 4 (25%). The climb covers about half the distance, after that it levels out. It's an "unmade road" rather than a path so the going is not difficult. Just steep :D.

From there it's about another level(ish) 0.6 miles to another interesting group of buildings, and then a climb of 500 feet or so and another 0.6 miles to Rhosydd Quarry.

Dave Sallery's websites (http://www.penmorfa.com/Rhosydd/) offer a good introduction to the area.

Richard when you say unmade road is it a byway or private road do you know please? I have a landrover and use the byway system of unmade roads/ green lanes to gain access to remoter parts since the arthritus started to bite.

Regards Paul.

Paul.
14th June 2010, 03:59 PM
OK then had I taken the time to read Richards link I would of answerd my own question, its private property and no point upsetting land owners so it's slow but sure shank's pony.
Paul.

Keith Tapscott.
24th June 2010, 04:00 PM
This is a 'who will be there and who might be there list.' It will be updated from time to time.

Don't forget it is OK to just come along for an hour or so if you live locally or if you are otherwise committed try to do a day. It up to you to decide what is best for you.

B&W Neil (Neil)
Dave
du a gwn + Tudur Owen
Paul ( one day)
Rob Archer (possible)
Neil Smith (possible)
Xpres (possible)
Barry (possible)
Neil Smith (possible)

Neil.Put me down as a 'may be'. :cool:

B&W Neil
24th June 2010, 04:09 PM
OK then had I taken the time to read Richards link I would of answerd my own question, its private property and no point upsetting land owners so it's slow but sure shank's pony.
Paul.

Is that a 'yes' Paul ?

Neil.

B&W Neil
24th June 2010, 04:10 PM
Put me down as a 'may be'. :cool:

Keith - done !

Neil.

Paul.
25th June 2010, 09:37 PM
Is that a 'yes' Paul ?

Neil.

Its a yes barring unforseen circumstances Neil. Not sure which day, probably the saterday but will confirm nearer the time.
Paul.

B&W Neil
25th June 2010, 10:16 PM
Its a yes barring unforseen circumstances Neil. Not sure which day, probably the saterday but will confirm nearer the time.
Paul.

Paul. it would be good to see you if you could get along for the Saturday - I will put you down as a possible :-) Get back to me nearer the event and we can sort out the details etc :-)

Neil.

du a gwyn
29th June 2010, 08:26 PM
Neil,I've been in touch with Tudur Owen regarding the Cwm Orthin day and he's more than willing to be 'the guide' for the weekend,he's looking forward to meeting everybody.
Hwly am tro!

RH Designs
30th June 2010, 08:01 AM
I've been in touch with Tudur Owen regarding the Cwm Orthin day and he's more than willing to be 'the guide' for the weekend

Sounds good to me, I've spoken to Tudur in the past about the old tramways and quarries in the area so it would be good to have him along.

B&W Neil
30th June 2010, 09:12 AM
Neil,I've been in touch with Tudur Owen regarding the Cwm Orthin day and he's more than willing to be 'the guide' for the weekend,he's looking forward to meeting everybody.
Hwly am tro!

Great news - I am glad Tudur can make it. We shall all look forward to meeting him and his knowledge of the area will be most appreciated.
Many thanks for asking Tudur to come along.

Neil.

B&W Neil
6th July 2010, 07:01 PM
Keith confirms he has booked in for three nights - welcome aboard Keith :-) I have updated the list accordingly.

Neil.

Keith Tapscott.
6th July 2010, 07:51 PM
Keith confirms he has booked in for three nights - welcome aboard Keith :-) I have updated the list accordingly.

Neil.Thanks Neil.
For some reason, I cant find a website for the Queens Hotel in Porthmadog, as I wanted to send them an email.

Barry
6th July 2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks Neil.
For some reason, I cant find a website for the Queens Hotel in Porthmadog, as I wanted to send them an email.

Is this (http://hotelporthmadog.com/) the place Keith?

Keith Tapscott.
6th July 2010, 08:48 PM
Is this (http://hotelporthmadog.com/) the place Keith?That's it, thanks Barry.

Keith Tapscott.
6th July 2010, 09:01 PM
The email address in that link didn't work.

B&W Neil
6th July 2010, 09:16 PM
Best to give them a call I think. They only took over a short while ago and their web site my still be in the process of being sorted out.

Neil.

du a gwyn
6th July 2010, 11:09 PM
if i can be of any help ,i've got a six berth static caravan that i am willing to let for a reasnable price,caravan is set in it's own private land and has all mod cons that you might need,
hwyl am y tro.

B&W Neil
7th July 2010, 07:12 AM
if i can be of any help ,i've got a six berth static caravan that i am willing to let for a reasnable price,caravan is set in it's own private land and has all mod cons that you might need,
hwyl am y tro.

Sounds good a good and thanks for posting.

A few of us are already committed to a billet in Porthmadog but I am sure this offer will be of interest to others who may be thinking of coming along.

Neil.

Keith Tapscott.
7th July 2010, 07:08 PM
hwyl am y tro.
I have already booked accommodation now, so too late. Never mind, worth knowing in case I want to go there again some time. :)

B&W Neil
18th July 2010, 09:00 AM
Good news - DuncanC has confirmed he is coming.

We have quite a few now committed but there is still time for many more of you to put your names down!

Neil.

Neil Smith
4th September 2010, 08:26 AM
Looks like I can confirm I will be coming to this weekend baring any last minute hitch. And I have just joined the gym in the hope I will be fit enough to get the 5x4 up the gradient:D

Now I,m tempted by Dartmoor after having just returned with the kids and wife;)

Neil

B&W Neil
4th September 2010, 05:48 PM
That's excellent news Neil an we look forward to seeing you there (the list has been adjusted !). We shall be posting meet up details nearer the time and giving out mobile numbers via PMs. Watch this thread.

Dartmoor will provide some useful training and hopefully some rain so you can get used to getting wet ;) A much more interesting way to get fit for the 1 in 4 gradient than going to the gym :D

If you can make Dartmoor as well you won't be disappointed.

Neil.

B&W Neil
6th September 2010, 03:59 PM
Good news Paul G will be joining us so the list of attendees has now risen to ten with two possibles yet to confirm.

I have brought the list forward to this post to save keep diving back through the thread.

B&W Neil (Neil)
Dave
du a gwn + Tudur Owen
Paul ( one day to be advised)
Xpres (Saturday all day)
Keith Tapscott (staying three nights)
DuncanC
Neil Smith
Paul G

Rob Archer (possible)
Barry (possible)

If you spot any errors in the list please let me know.

Don't forget it is OK to just come along for an hour or so if you live locally or if you are otherwise committed try to do a day. It up to you to decide what is best for you. This is shaping up to be a good event so do come along and join in the merriment and meet a few friends :)

Neil.

Dave miller
7th September 2010, 07:08 AM
I'm looking forward to this, must get out and buy a pac-a-mac soon.

Jon Butler
7th September 2010, 07:33 AM
Dave,
You will also need to take an ample supply of crisps, you know what I mean.
JON.

B&W Neil
7th September 2010, 07:38 AM
I'm looking forward to this, must get out and buy a pac-a-mac soon.

Best make sure it is a Gore-Tex (Extreme) pac-a-mac. The rain can be quite persistent up there ;)

Neil.

Xpres
7th September 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm quite sure it will be lovely and sunny and warm...

Looks like I can spend the whole day there now. :)

B&W Neil
7th September 2010, 01:18 PM

Looks like I can spend the whole day there now. :)

Excellent - we look forward to meeting you.

Maybe we ought to run a sweep-stake on the weather outcome to make it interesting ;)

Neil.

RH Designs
7th September 2010, 05:04 PM

Yes, and then half an hour later it will be chucking it down with rain. That's my experience of the place thus far anyway! :D

B&W Neil
7th September 2010, 05:25 PM
Richard, very true - every time I've been up there it has rained. And as you may recall from our last trip we nearly got blown away as well :eek:

Neil.

mono
7th September 2010, 05:37 PM
When I was there the sun was shining ;-)

PaulG
4th October 2010, 07:26 PM
What sort of time do people intend to arrive on the Friday? I don't fancy slogging up the A470 on a Friday night after work, so may see if I can bag a half day and enjoy the journey.

Neil Smith
4th October 2010, 08:52 PM
As we intend staying with friends I will be heading up on Thursday.

Neil

Dave miller
4th October 2010, 08:56 PM
As we intend staying with friends I will be heading up on Thursday.

Neil

"We", are all of us invited? :)

Neil Smith
4th October 2010, 09:02 PM
The we I refer to are my wife and I, but if it were up to me I can't think of anything better than a house full of photographers

Neil

B&W Neil
6th October 2010, 09:22 PM
What sort of time do people intend to arrive on the Friday? I don't fancy slogging up the A470 on a Friday night after work, so may see if I can bag a half day and enjoy the journey.

Paul,

The ETA for Friday is a bit difficult to predict as we shall all be travelling great distances to get to the Queens Hotel, Stryd Fawr, Porthmadog, LL49 9HT , Tel: 01766 512583, which will the meeting point (watering hole) for Friday night for those in the area. Going from past experience I should be there by 4pm but others may be arriving at any time before or after that. We are hoping for a good gathering at the Queens (in the bar) say from 7pm when decisions will be made where to eat etc.

Nearer the event I will PM all those who have said they are attending with our mobile phone numbers so they can contact us if they are not staying at the Queens to get updated on our movements.

Watch this space for further updates etc soon .

Neil.

Dave miller
12th October 2010, 09:16 AM
Paul,

The ETA for Friday is a bit difficult to predict as we shall all be travelling great distances to get to the Queens Hotel, Stryd Fawr, Porthmadog, LL49 9HT , Tel: 01766 512583, which will the meeting point (watering hole) for Friday night for those in the area. Going from past experience I should be there by 4pm but others may be arriving at any time before or after that. We are hoping for a good gathering at the Queens (in the bar) say from 7pm when decisions will be made where to eat etc.

Nearer the event I will PM all those who have said they are attending with our mobile phone numbers so they can contact us if they are not staying at the Queens to get updated on our movements.

Watch this space for further updates etc soon .

Neil.

I intend being there by 4pm and am at present trying to decide what to bring, or more accurately what to leave behind. ;)

B&W Neil
12th October 2010, 09:26 AM
I intend being there by 4pm and am at present trying to decide what to bring, or more accurately what to leave behind. ;)

Dave,

I should be there by about 4 pm but the drive is long and windy so it may be later if I get stuck behind a herd of sheep :)

Neil.

B&W Neil
12th October 2010, 10:37 AM
Cwmorthin weekend: October 15th /16th/17th, 2010:

This update provides the contact details and meeting arrangements for the weekend.

Friday 15th October

Mid afternoon onwards:

The meeting point will be the Queens Hotel , Stryd Fawr, Porthmadog, LL49 9HT - Tel: 01766 512583. Friends staying there will be arriving from mid afternoon onwards. The plan is to make the Queens Hotel the gathering point for friends who wish to travel in and for friends who are staying in other accommodation nearby. So Friday mid afternoon to the evening will be a meet up for a social drink or food, at the Queens Hotel in the bar / restaurant. The food at the Queens is good value and of acceptable quality so it is anticipated that the party will be at the Queens Hotel for Friday night. Do drop in if you can and say hello and to find out more about our plans for the weekend. There is plenty of car parking at the Queens Hotel.

Meeting point and car parking for Saturday and Sunday for Cwmorthin:

Should you want to go direct to the start of the walk and meet us there the OS Grid Ref for the Cwmorthin car park is: SH 684 453 (Blaenau Ffestiniog ). We are playing to be at the car park by 10:30 hours each day.

I shall be sending a PM to all those who are attending, or have said they may attend, containing our contact mobile phone numbers. Do use these numbers if you need to contact us over the weekend but remember mobile phone reception can sometimes be a problem in mountainous areas.

If you have any queries / questions please raise them here before Friday as I shall be on the road early.

We look forward to seeing many of you there and we hope the light will be with us :)

Neil.

B&W Neil
12th October 2010, 04:31 PM
I should have mentioned that the meeting location arrangements are of course subject to weather conditions. If you are going direct to the location and the weather is iffy it would be wise to use one of the contact mobile numbers to check that we haven't changed the venue.

Neil.

Rob Archer
12th October 2010, 05:29 PM
I sadly won't be able to make this due to work and family commitments. Hoping you have a great weekend and I look forward to seeing the results.

Rob

B&W Neil
12th October 2010, 06:09 PM
Sorry you can't make it Rob. I expect we shall be doing this again sometime so maybe you can join us then.

Neil.

RH Designs
13th October 2010, 11:26 AM
The weather forecast is not looking too bad - keep an eye on it here (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/porthmadog_forecast_weather.html).

Dave miller
13th October 2010, 12:15 PM
The weather forecast is not looking too bad - keep an eye on it here (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/porthmadog_forecast_weather.html).

That's awful; no rain. :slap:

B&W Neil
13th October 2010, 12:56 PM
It will be the first for me if I'm up there in the sun :cool:

Neil.

Dave miller
13th October 2010, 02:02 PM
It will be the first for me if I'm up there in the sun :cool:

Neil.

I don't mind sun as long as it's raining. ;)

mono
13th October 2010, 05:41 PM
I wish good weather and lots of photos!
Have fun!
I am already looking forward to your images.
Again: I wish I could be with you!

B&W Neil
13th October 2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Folker, we wish you could join us too - maybe on another occasion? The weather is looking good so we might be in for some good shooting :)

Neil.

Keith Tapscott.
13th October 2010, 07:46 PM
That's awful; no rain. :slap:I am beginning to worry about you Dave. :shock:

Xpres
14th October 2010, 09:33 AM
I broke one of my toes this week... I 've been wondering whether a walk this weekend would be a good idea, but have decided it won't hurt too much. So I'll still be there on the Saturday, although I may make slow progress.
I will travel light though! No 5x4 this time... maybe one of my old folders.

B&W Neil
14th October 2010, 01:05 PM
I broke one of my toes this week... I 've been wondering whether a walk this weekend would be a good idea, but have decided it won't hurt too much. So I'll still be there on the Saturday, although I may make slow progress.
I will travel light though! No 5x4 this time... maybe one of my old folders.

Sorry to hear about the toe a I hope it heals without any problems. Good idea to go light and don't worry about taking your time - images can be made on the way up :)

Neil.

Neil Smith
14th October 2010, 06:56 PM
I am in Llanberis arrived in North Wales teatime very grey here but no rain and there were some brighter grey clouds which is counted as an Indian Summer up here, looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

Neil

B&W Neil
14th October 2010, 06:57 PM
The weather is looking good for the weekend with no severe weather warnings being issued for Wales. Just cloudy and sunny for Saturday and Sunday, which I am sure we can all handle :)

Have a safe trip to all those who are travelling and I look forward to seeing you there.

Neil.

du a gwyn
14th October 2010, 09:43 PM
hello everybody,i'm sorry but my cwmorthin trip is off!!This is due to personal reasons beyond my control.
i'm very ,very sorry about this and hope you all can have some nice time here in N.Wales.
It promising some very nice weather for the weekend on the local news tonight.
hwyl am y tro
Cleif(Clive).

Paul.
17th October 2010, 04:03 PM
My appologies to all for not being able to make it this weekend, afraid an unexpectidly high garage bill of Ģ1200 and haveing to tax the car this month ment fiscal restraints had to be inposed and jollies were unfortunatly the first to go.

I hope you all had a good time and the weather was kind to you, look forward to the fruits of your labours in the galleries.

Regards Paul.

RH Designs
18th October 2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry Paul and Cleif you weren't able to join us. The weather was very kind - sunny even, on Saturday - and a good time was had by all. I'll leave it to others to tell the stories (my trousers have washed OK!) but suffice it to say it was good to meet new faces, and hopefully we'll see some results in the galleries in due course. Following a reccy yesterday afternoon I think I've found another suitable location in the area for a possible future repeat visit.

Dave miller
18th October 2010, 01:09 PM
I’ve just got home and must thank Richard and Neil for arranging the trip and accommodation. I enjoyed the event immensely, especially being able to put faces to a few more Friends as well as renewing older friendships. I was of course terribly disappointed by the absence of rain, but gratified that I was able to drag myself to the upper levels and enjoy the view.

Keith Tapscott.
18th October 2010, 03:25 PM
I got home about 20 minutes ago and hope everyone else arrived home safely.
It will be next week before I can upload some images.

B&W Neil
18th October 2010, 04:44 PM
Arrived back in West Cornwall at approx 1630 hours which was a good run for me. What a great weekend and it was good to meet Tudor (Xpres), Neil Smith and Paul (Paul G) for the first time as well as catching up with Richard, Dave and Keith. We were all sorry that du a gwyn and Paul couldn't make it this time and we hope to see them on another occasion.

Watch this space for a mini report and some pics soon :)

Neil.

PaulG
19th October 2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks to Neil and Richard for the organisation - I had a great weekend. It was good to meet some FADUers (?) in person. I think I may even have one or two images that are worth doing something with. Only 6 more rolls of film to process... :)

Xpres
19th October 2010, 10:04 AM
I'd also like to add my thanks for a great day. It was good to meet you all and to explore a bit of North Wales new to me. What a wonderful place... I'll surely be back with the kids. I'm glad I managed to keep up with such a sprightly gang despite my minor injury. The day was woth it.
If my very old kit worked properly then I should have some results by next weekend.

A couple of pics from my digi - very useful as a 'notebook' to record detail of each shot made. (If out of place they can be removed..)

http://Xpres.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v15/p542792573-2.jpg

http://Xpres.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v11/p614738780-2.jpg

mono
19th October 2010, 10:15 AM
The second one is great! Though d.... ;-)
Is it the ruined chapel?

Neil Smith
19th October 2010, 10:25 AM
I got back last night after a few detours via the Ogwen Valley and the coastal road through Harlech and Tywyn further south.
I enjoyed meeting everyone and the couple of days we went out to Cwmorthin. It was good to put faces to the names on the forum, and to get to know such a nice bunch of people.
Thanks to Neil and Richard for organising the trip, and thanks again to Richard for the jump start, after the leaving the lights on fiasco of the first day:o
The only bit I didn't enjoy was the new friend I made on the Sunday, who became very attached to me. When I got back to Llanberis I found a tick had embedded itself in my leg, and was happily feeding off me, much fun was had at the house while it was persuaded to let go, with the help of a small cotton lasso, it did put up a valiant effort but was prised off after a 10 minute stand off.
I will look forward to seeing some results soon.

Neil

RH Designs
19th October 2010, 03:35 PM
I heard one way of getting rid of a tick is to smother it in Vaseline or similar, which suffocates it so it releases its grip. Nasty things.

Neil Smith
19th October 2010, 09:41 PM
I heard one way of getting rid of a tick is to smother it in Vaseline or similar, which suffocates it so it releases its grip. Nasty things.

I did some research before I got rid of the tick and most of the well known ways to remove it, burning, drowning, suffocating etc were not recommended by NHS and medical pros, they all said special tweezers that grab it close to the skin, they all say don't crush the body or cause the tick to secrete any saliva or break off the jaws in the skin.
Some ticks carry bacteria that cause Lyme Disease which is a very nasty infection.
Now I know why people tuck their trousers into their socks while hiking, or use gaiters.
Could have been worse, apparently they like dark warm areas, the armpit and crotch being most popular, so I lucked out with one attached to my calf:D

Neil

B&W Neil
19th October 2010, 09:47 PM
Neil,
You can also leave them on (wich happens if you don't spot them) and when they are full up with blood they fall off on their own accord. We have found them crawling around the cottage on occasions after falling off one of the dogs :)

Neil.

Neil Smith
19th October 2010, 09:52 PM
Neil,
You can also leave them on (wich happens if you don't spot them) and when they are full up with blood they fall off on their own accord. We have found them crawling around the cottage on occasions after falling off one of the dogs :)

Neil.

Only problem with that is one I don't like them:shock: and two you are apparently more likely to get infected the longer they are attached.

Neil

B&W Neil
20th October 2010, 07:41 AM
My wife's long fingernails are quite good at pulling them out :)

Neil.

PaulG
20th October 2010, 08:48 AM
If, like me, you left Cwmorthin wondering a little about the history of the place, there are a few websites that give a few glimpses. Here are a couple. Interesting to note in one that the quarry became known as the 'slaughterhouse' due to the high death rate among the workers.

http://www.cwmorthin.co.uk/

http://www.jgd.org.uk/rotwsi/cwmorthin01.htm

B&W Neil
20th October 2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for posting the links Paul.

The place has so much atmosphere and even now after several visits I feel myself wanting to go back there again soon.

It was a tough and hard life that's for sure with not much pay either.

Neil.

RH Designs
20th October 2010, 10:38 AM
There's a comprehensive web site covering the Welsh slate industry here:
http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/

The upper levels we visited were the Rhosydd quarry:
http://www.penmorfa.com/Rhosydd/

Barry
21st October 2010, 08:48 AM

I have removed ticks from our cat with this (http://www.misotrading.co.uk/) tool. It works very well and of course can be used on humans. Cheap and effective.

B&W Neil
21st October 2010, 01:07 PM
Weekend Round-Up with Images

Just to let you know I have posted a report on the weekend to our Articles section.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3218

Neil.

PaulG
26th October 2010, 08:43 PM
For those interested in seeing some of the results of the trip I've made a few prints from the film I shot and put them here (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=302)

Dave miller
27th October 2010, 06:52 AM
For those interested in seeing some of the results of the trip I've made a few prints from the film I shot and put them here (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=302)

They look good.:)

I really must get to work printing mine.:o

PaulG
27th October 2010, 07:47 AM
They look good.:)

Thanks Dave. Not surprisingly, the scans are pale imitations of the real things (but you'll have to take my word for it). :)

B&W Neil
27th October 2010, 08:31 AM

Good work Paul and thanks for posting. Congratulations on being the first to print :) I hoping to be in the darkroom within a few days !

Neil.

Barry
27th October 2010, 09:07 AM
Good work Paul, I look forward to seeing more from others.

mono
27th October 2010, 10:28 AM
Nice work, Paul!
Already very much looking forward to further images from other participants.

B&W Neil
30th October 2010, 09:56 AM
I have just created an album for my October Cwmorthin images which can be found here (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=303"[/URL]

[URL="http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=303)

These five images came from a cassette of TriX.

Hopefully I shall be back in the darkroom tomorrow to have a go at some more :)

Neil.

PaulG
30th October 2010, 12:12 PM
Some good stuff there Neil. Looking forward to seeing some more. I still have a pile of contact sheets to work my way through. :)

B&W Neil
30th October 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks Paul.

I am looking forward to having a play with the other two sets of negs as they were done on the Saturday when the light was better.

Neil.

B&W Neil
1st November 2010, 11:36 AM
I have now added some more images from the recent Cwmorthin meet here:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=303

Neil.

PaulG
1st November 2010, 11:42 AM
Great stuff, Neil. I particularly like the silhouette of the barracks and the lillies.

Dave miller
1st November 2010, 11:44 AM
I have now added some more images from the recent Cwmorthin meet here:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=303

Neil.

You are putting me to shame, I'm still trying to finish my first print.:o

B&W Neil
1st November 2010, 12:55 PM
Dave,
I was lucky and managed a few clear days with the printing going fairly well :) I have more or less finished now so the way is open for you ;)

Neil.