PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Photos.

Ag-Bromide
9th November 2008, 06:31 PM
I have looked at some of the photos on this site and was wandering if they are made from film or print scanners. I don`t own any scanners yet, so how do you upload your images?

Argentum
9th November 2008, 07:05 PM
IMO scans from prints result in better web images. But that depends on the paper you print on. Glossy FB or Glossy RC scan very well and because you get nice big files, you can down size them which tends to lose many of the small scan imperfections(dust).
Direct from film is handy for illustrating something quickly, but invariably you have to mess with it more to make it look the way you think it will print which proves nothing one way or another. Scan curves don't equal film and paper curve combinations so they usually look different than actual print. Scanning from print gives you an exact reference so that you can make your on screen image look almost identical to print much more easily IMO.
Any old flatbad scanner is good enough for scanning prints for web. I have been using an old (and very expensive when new) HP Scanjet 4C which is only 600dpi. (Don't look at my images on web site to judge because those have been upsizesd,downsized and hacked to death whilst playing with web development layouts)

p.s. waiting to get my knuckles rapped for talking dirty:D

Dave miller
9th November 2008, 07:18 PM
Some thing have to be discussed and resolved, no matter how unsavoury. It's on a similar level to having to keep the toilet bowl clean, so I hope this post will not expand into the area of general maintenance of the sewage disposal system
I agree with Rob that it is best to scan a print on a flatbed rather than mess with negative scanning, although some prefer that method. Most flatbeds come with software that will allow the production of files sufficient for posting to a web site. I use a Canon 2400 which is 5 or 6 years old, and I can see no reason to change it. I suspect the problem will become one of matching ageing software to current standards.

Ag-Bromide
9th November 2008, 07:43 PM
What would be a good `new cheapy` one to buy for scanning B&W RC Glossy Prints? I`m not into D.I so don`t know the techie stuff on hardware/software.

Dave miller
9th November 2008, 07:47 PM
What would be a good `new cheapy` one to buy for scanning B&W RC Glossy Prints? I`m not into D.I so don`t know the techie stuff on hardware/software.
Personally I've no idea, I cannot remember what criteria I applied when I brought mine. For our needs any A4 scanner from the major manufacturers should do the trick.

Bob
9th November 2008, 07:52 PM
I scan a print on a flatbed scanner. Another option is to photograph it with a digicam but be careful with uneven lighting and key-stoning if the camera is not parallel with the print.

Argentum
9th November 2008, 07:59 PM

It really doesn't matter. If its not going to be used for film, then any HP or Epson flatbed scanner will do. They are only 20 or 30 quid last time I looked which was a long time ago. Main thing is that it has some software for resising and sharpening for the web.

If you want to use it for scanning film, then a flat bed scanner is very poor for 35mm film but OK(ish) for medium format film for web and/or medium sized prints. In that case you are looking at £400 for a decent epson. But for ultimate film scanning then, you need a dedicated film scanner and for medium format film scanning you are looking at a lot of money, maybe £1000 plus and that is still nowhere near as good as a drum scanner.

Ag-Bromide
9th November 2008, 08:09 PM
A cheap A4 Flatbed should be OK then. Where to buy?

Dave miller
9th November 2008, 08:15 PM
A cheap A4 Flatbed should be OK then. Where to buy?

Your nearest flatbed scanner shop I should think;;) you could try a google search.

Argentum
9th November 2008, 08:27 PM
here's three companies not in any particular order:

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/Peripherals/Scanners/Scanners?sort=price&start=1&size=15

http://www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&NavigationKey=11114&NavigationKey=4294960107&NavigationKey=47740000&CategorySelectedId=11114&PageMode=1&PageOffset=0&RecordOffset=0#Paging

http://uk.insight.com/apps/nbs/results.php?C=106&S=1037&lang=en-gb&K=&M=&SB=plh&200258v=1&200054v=1

Dave miller
9th November 2008, 08:33 PM
I recommend sub-letting the task to next doors kids, as long as they are less than 10 years old.

Argentum
9th November 2008, 08:34 PM
That'll be me then :shock:

Trevor Crone
9th November 2008, 11:03 PM
I scan (life sucks sometimes) from 8x10 prints, mostly on Ilford WT, RC, pearl. I use a 'cheap-oh' HP all-in-one printer, scanner, copier, the C4180.

Bob
9th November 2008, 11:51 PM
Practically any scanner will do; just smake sure it is a well-known manufacturer: Epson, Canon etc.

You can get all-in-one Epson inkjet printers in Tesco that include a scanner as well as printer. Amazon.co.uk is another option and often the cheapest tho I have bought from all those Rob mentions in the past.

Argentum
10th November 2008, 12:06 AM
I would add that for not much more than the cheapest cost, you can get one which will also scan 35 and possibly even 120 film for under £100. For colour work, that may be worth considering. For B+W only, I would scan prints.

Mark Burley
6th December 2008, 12:29 AM
As a designer I regularly scan both film and prints. The average 3-5,000 DPI scanner will do the trick happily. I generally scan the prints as I get a much better result.

I do have a Nikon scanner for 35mm film and its fine. However, all film above that size gets scanned on a pro system - usually Hasselblad Flextight etc.

Bearing in mind that some of my scans do go to produce 48 sheet poster sites and similar I am happy with the results I get. I have to be! if you see what I mean...

Peter Hogan
8th December 2008, 08:23 AM
I just re-newed my flatbed and got an Epson V500, and I find it excellent. I will be scanning my negs on it for my site and for here. Costs about £150, but you can probably get it cheaper if you shop araound.