PDA

View Full Version : Off to Nepal

TheoP
30th June 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm off to Nepal tomorrow! How exciting indeed. I'm gonna add points of interest to this thread during and after the trip, maybe along with some uploads from my digi-cam until I get back into the darkroom in September.

Namaste,
Theo

Sandeha Lynch
30th June 2010, 10:59 AM
A fine place to visit. Have a good safe trip.

Daud
30th June 2010, 11:36 AM
I envy you – some friends of mine went a couple of years back and had a good time – hotel was an adventure but they did come back with some great photographs.
Have a safe and fun trip.

David.

http://davidalockwood.wordpress.com

Barry
30th June 2010, 01:40 PM
I spent some time there a long time ago. It will be an adventure you will never forget.

Mike O'Pray
30th June 2010, 01:56 PM
I look forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your experiences on the "roof of the world"

Mike

Richard Gould
30th June 2010, 02:16 PM
Theo, have a very enjoyable trip, and we will all,I'm sure, look forward to seeing the results of your trip upon your return,Richard

RH Designs
30th June 2010, 06:00 PM
Have a great trip Theo - it's a place I'd love to go to myself one day. Keep us updated from time to time :).

TheoP
16th July 2010, 01:37 PM
Well the digicam pics are definitely out of the equation as the internet is so slow here I'd have to pay about 1 pound a picture for internet time!

So far the trip is incredible, photographically challenging and hopefully once I get into the darkroom, rewarding.

I had a scare while trecking I had to use a log as a bridge over a raging waterfall, and dropped my camera (which was stupidly just slung on one shoulder) on a rock, and I heard something break - "luckily" it was just part of the lens mount... I say luckily - it would have cost the price of a new camera to repair back home, but here it cost me 300 rupies... which is about 3 pounds, or less.

I definitely recommend coming to nepal at some point in your lives if you haven't already. The culture and colour here is mind blowing, as soon as I got here I had to buy colour film (so cheap you don't want to know) just to try to capture at least some of the vibrancy here. Only downside is you can't buy B&W film here, and definitely no medium format film, though I'm still on the lookout.

The best moment so far was working in an orphanage. The kids saw I had a camera and wanted me to take a picture of them (they know how to pose to look hard done by already, because they know it makes tourists more likely to give them money). They were horribly confused as to why they couldn't see the picture afterwards, but I let them play with my camera all the same and they loved looking through the viewfinder and twiddling the focus, which they had never done before.

I have taken some rolls of film on XP2 film so I will be able to show scans of those in august, but the "real" pictures will appear in september/october when I'm back in the darkroom.

Cheers all
Theo

Richard Gould
16th July 2010, 01:58 PM
Sounds as if you are having a great time, thanks for letting us know how it's all going, and I am sure we will all be looking forward to seeing the results of your trip here, Enjoy yourself,Richard

Dave miller
16th July 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm completely jealous, but glad to hear that you are enjoying your trip all the same.

Mike O'Pray
16th July 2010, 04:22 PM
When the kids couldn't see any pictures on the back of the camera did they suggest that you take it to the same repairman as for the lens mount but solemnly warning that it might cost 500 rupees to fix :D:

I look forward to the scans on your return.

Mike

Neil Smith
16th July 2010, 05:40 PM
Sounds great hope you continue having a fantastic trip and will look forward to the photos when your home

Neil

Mark-NY
16th July 2010, 10:28 PM
Glad to hear of the great time you are having on your trip. I really am looking forward to seeing your photographs as the colors there are remarkable as you note. [My only trip there was back in 1998 and that is one of the things I remember the most]

TheoP
4th August 2010, 01:37 PM
Some photos shot on very old XP2 film, which apparently got a bit too hot...
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=281&pictureid=2338

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=281&pictureid=2340

SteveMorales
14th December 2011, 01:48 PM
I am really interested with visiting Nepal as well. I have heard a lot of feedback about it, and though most do not really include a great experience for traveling, there are a lot of opportunities for great subjects on shoots.

Interestingly though, a really good travel offer came up just yesterday and seems like my buddies and I are booked to visit the place early next year. I just hope that it does not lose its touch.