PDA

View Full Version : 35mm reloadable cassettes

PMarkey
9th July 2010, 09:15 PM
If any one is bulk loading 35mm , MrCad is listing new reloadable metal 35mm cassettes (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Metal-35mm-Reloadable-Cassettes-X5-/330449686470?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item4cf0560fc6) on the auction site for £2.00 for 5 plus free postage at the moment which seems pretty reasonable to me :)

Paul

Mike O'Pray
9th July 2010, 11:19 PM
Paul I use Jessops plastic re-loadable cassettes which are quite well made. As far as I can tell both plastic and metal bodies will last a long time. If there is a problem it will come with the velvet light trap. Eventually the velvet will wear and may allow some light piping into the frames at the beginning of the roll.

I suspect that it all depends on how much your camera uses to move the film roll onto the first frame. My Pentax auto wind actually uses quite a lot of the roll at the start so may be less susceptible to this problem of light piping than a manual wind camera where the user can wind on less film.

The other issue with re-useable cassettes is ensuring that no dust/grit particles get trapped in the velvet light trap. So on each re-use I'd run a "post-it" note along the velvet to pick up any stray grit.

The alternative which avoids this problem is to obtain used cassettes from your local mini-lab. There is usually a half inch piece of film left on the cassettes to which you can attach the bulk load roll with sellotape.

Factory cassettes such as these usually run very smoothly and can be thrown away after one use, avoiding the grit issue and wear issue. Most mini-labs can supply you with used cassettes at a greater rate than you are likely to use them and they are free:D:

For what is worth some users of re-useable cassettes say that more than 5 times re-use can lead to problems with wear on the velvet. I suspect that the velvet last longer than this but I cannot say as I haven't used my Jessops cassettes 5 times.

Mike

Xpres
10th July 2010, 09:06 AM
I have a mixture of plastic and metal cassettes. The metal ones must date back to about 1980, hama branded, and still work fine - not used everyday of course! They're identical to the old style ilford cassettes that FP4 came in which I used to use over and over again when I was at school - I thought I still had some but can't see any in the box now. Less fussy about scratches then I suppose.

Rolleikin
14th July 2010, 06:08 PM
Just to let you know I use Adox CHS 100 Art in 35mm and it comes in metal reusable cassettes just like they used with Ilford films in the 1980's.

I have a couple I've saved, but if you want i'll save them and send them to you (I use less 35mm so it may take some time to build up a stash)
Mark

Xpres
14th July 2010, 07:05 PM
Just to let you know I use Adox CHS 100 Art in 35mm and it comes in metal reusable cassettes just like they used with Ilford films in the 1980's.

I have a couple I've saved, but if you want i'll save them and send them to you (I use less 35mm so it may take some time to build up a stash)
Mark

A very kind offer Mark. :)
I have enough for now - I mostly shoot medium format anyway. But others may take up your offer.

Mike O'Pray
14th July 2010, 10:49 PM

Mark

Mark I think I'd like to take you up on the offer if I may. My plastic Jessops cassettes don't run as well as I'd like on occasions and it may be that the Adox metal ones which are factory made, as it were, are better for an auto-rewind camera which I have.

If you indicate that this is OK I'll PM you with details

Thanks very much

Mike

TomHayward
19th July 2010, 02:46 PM
I go to asda and just ask for a bag of old used cassettes... They always seem happy to hand them over.