PDA

View Full Version : Durst L1200 Enlarger

Neil Smith
21st July 2010, 11:39 PM
I seen this whilst having a look at ebay thought it was worth pointing it out here as it has a reasonable buy it now price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DURST-L1200-35mm-4x5-enlarger-AC1201-Head-/150470338182?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item2308bb2686#ht_500wt_1154

This is worth a look as well

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ilford-Ilfospeed-Multigrade-500H-Englarger-/320562384432?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item4aa301ce30#ht_500wt_1154

Neil

Xpres
22nd July 2010, 09:39 AM
I have a 1200 but I'd really like to get hold of the long focus handle which mine doesn't have. So if anyone wants this I'd be prepared to pick it up for them and deliver (within reason and some petrol money), if I can have the arm.
Anyone?

Bob
22nd July 2010, 07:48 PM
Not just an L1200, but an AC1200 - I have one of those. Someone snapped it up quickly enough - £200 was an VERY good price.

If it was anyone here and it does not have a manual, I have a (badly) photocopied one that I can create a PDF from.

mpirie
30th July 2010, 09:33 AM
Not just an L1200, but an AC1200 - I have one of those. Someone snapped it up quickly enough - £200 was an VERY good price.

I know :D

Mike

Dave miller
30th July 2010, 09:50 AM

Mike

Thanks for removing the temptation so quickly. ;)

Bob
30th July 2010, 11:32 AM

MikeWell played sir!

Any questions, or if you want a copy of the manual (although it's only really of interest for using the colour analyser part) do ask.

I switch it to timer mode (button at top right corner) and set the timer manually for b&w (hold down Enter and use the up/down keys for Density (seconds) and Channel (1/10s)) to set the time.

mpirie
31st July 2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Bob,

I haven't seen it yet so i don't know if it has a manual with it (I suspect not) but at £200 i couldn't refuse.......i just need to find out what to do with my L1000......life can be hard sometimes :rolleyes:

I have a long drive to go collect it and won't get the chance to try it out for a few weeks.

I'll give you a shout if i need help since I've never seen an AC1201 before let alone used one!

Thanks,
Mike

mpirie
31st July 2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for removing the temptation so quickly. ;)
Dave,

It's a shame my wife didn't see me as saving fellow sufferers !

Mike

mpirie
16th August 2010, 09:58 PM

If it was anyone here and it does not have a manual, I have a (badly) photocopied one that I can create a PDF from.

Hi Bob,

Well I collected the beast on Saturday, and what fantastic piece of engineering it is!

As suspected, there was no manual with it so I would appreciate a copy of the manual if you still have it?

Thanks,
Mike

Bob
17th August 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Bob,

Well I collected the beast on Saturday, and what fantastic piece of engineering it is!

As suspected, there was no manual with it so I would appreciate a copy of the manual if you still have it?

Thanks,
Mike

Righty-ho Mike. I'll pop it on the scanner - probably be tomorrow. As I said, it's mainly to do with the colour analyser but it's worth having even if you only do b&w at the moment.

mpirie
17th August 2010, 07:49 PM
Righty-ho Mike. I'll pop it on the scanner - probably be tomorrow. As I said, it's mainly to do with the colour analyser but it's worth having even if you only do b&w at the moment.

Thanks Bob,

It'll make good reading whilst I recover from re-assembling the bugger!

Regards,
Mike

Bob
18th August 2010, 08:20 PM
AC1200 Operations Manual: The PDF is created from an old photocopied manual I got from Oldtimer Cameras so the quality is not great. I suspect that even as published the quality was never very good as it uses a horrible typeface that makes it look like it was originated on an old typewriter with a dodgy ribbon... It does look a bit better printed out than it does on the screen tho.

Hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me ;) ...

mpirie
21st August 2010, 06:48 AM
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much, I owe you one!

The seventy odd pages will make great "library" reading.

I like the opening comment "The L1200 is designed to use minimal space", clearly written by someone who hadn't see it at that time :p

Have you tried using the colour channels with multigraded papers? It looks like it should be possible.

Thanks again,
Mike

Bob
21st August 2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much, I owe you one!

The seventy odd pages will make great "library" reading.

I like the opening comment "The L1200 is designed to use minimal space", clearly written by someone who hadn't see it at that time :p

Have you tried using the colour channels with multigraded papers? It looks like it should be possible.

Thanks again,
MikeI only used the manual head part for multigrade, using the enlarger in Timer mode to start/stop the exposure. If you have not read the manual yet, and for others who have no idea what I am talking about (nothing new there then...), the head is essentially two sets of dichroic filters: one is the standard manually operated colour head that you see on most colour enlargers and below that is another set of filters moved in and out by electric solenoids. In colour work, the idea is that you set the initial colour settings for the paper on the manual head and the colour analyser uses the other filters to set the final exposure for each colour. This lower solenoid operated set is also used as a shutter as all three filters in = (almost) no light gets through.

I usually use split-grade printing so moved the magenta (hard) and yellow (soft) controls of the manual part of the head by hand to minimum or maximum as required and used the built-in Timer to control the exposure times.

Then I realised that the auto-exposure part of the head uses solenoids to move the filters in and out of the light path completely so I took the head apart and fitted a three-way switch so I can now switch from all magenta to all yellow using the switch (it also has a bypass position so the enlarger works as normal).

I suspect you may be able to use the analyser for multigrade printing but I could not get my head around that so I'll leave that to sharper minds to figure out!

Any questions, ask away, tho I have not even tried the analyser for colour printing 'cos the manual gave me a headache...

Have fun, Bob.

MicMac
12th July 2012, 06:36 AM
I recently purchased my Durst 1201, with the Durst Colour Analyser, Exposure Meter Probe/Timer, 2 sets of condensers and mirror boxes, 2 lenses, and a Saunders easel, for Au$600 + Au$250 shipping. The only thing I did not get was the pin registered 5x4 anti-newton glass carrier. I did get 3 other carriers and format inserts, so I cant complain. The pin registered carrier was a special order when they were new. Now all I need is an automatic batch processor. I don't use it enough for a continuous processor.