PDA

View Full Version : Developing two different films at the same time

KevinC
24th July 2010, 05:29 PM
As the title says, I am thinking of developing a roll of Tri-X and a roll of Neopan 400 at the same time in a Paterson Universal (two reel) tank (both 35mm), they have both been rated at box speed.

I'll obviously be using twice the volume of liquids as I'd use for just one :D
The MDC gives 6 mins @20deg for both films with Kodak T-Max developer and I have previously got good results from both films using these times.

Being a bit of a newbie at this lark I'm asking if I need to change (increase?) the time because I'm developing more than one film? I'm assuming because I'm using the recommended volume for each film x2 that it will be ok.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I did a search and didn't really find anything.

Thanks

Mike O'Pray
24th July 2010, 05:43 PM
It wil be OK. No need to change times.

Mike

KevinC
24th July 2010, 05:45 PM
Many thanks for the quick response Mike :)

I though it would be ok but thought I'd better ask before screwing them both up tomorrow!

Richard Gould
24th July 2010, 06:45 PM
As long as the developer times are the same for the different films then simply increase the volume of dev/stop/fix to 600mm and dev for the normal time,Richard

KevinC
24th July 2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks Richard.

I tend to use 300ml for a single film (the maths are easer than the 290ml written on the tank!) so 600ml is just double.
I also have some nice car windscreen wash bottles with really good sealing caps that hold exactly 600ml filled just below the top so keep my fixer and stop in these.

I don't normally shoot two different films at the same time but already have the Tri-X in the camera and there is an old roll of Neopan 400 lying around and thought I'd use it up (I usually stick to Tri-X and T-Max emulsions). Luckily the dev times are the same.

I'm shooting some PJ style shots at an equestrian event tomorrow and thought they would suit it just fine.

Dave miller
25th July 2010, 07:19 AM
As a matter of interest it is only developer that is adversely effected by exposure to air, stop and fix are not in my experience.

Richard Gould
25th July 2010, 08:11 AM
Kevin, as a point of interest, it usually better to use a little bit more dev/stop/fix than is normal . I always use 400 mlo for 35mm and 600 for, 120, this alows for possible sliping of the spiral onthe center colum,or other slight problems, which might leave a thin strip of underdeveloped negative,so I woulse 700 instead of 600 for 2 films Richard

Tony Marlow
25th July 2010, 08:46 AM
Just as a point Peter Hogan's Prescysol developer has the same time for all types of film, 10 1/2 mins for the semi-stand method.

Tony

Paulographic
25th July 2010, 07:50 PM
I remember as a student in the 1970's doing nearly all B+W films in
D76 1:1 10 minutes @70F. FP4, HP4, Tri-X, Plus-X etc. Other films weren't generally available in all shops.

Stainless tanks which I still use to this day, 250ml for one 35mm, 400ml for 120 and 450ml for two 35mm in a 120 tank.

Don't use the same times for all now as the films have advanced in technology but do use the suggested times on the ID11 pack as a general guide.

Paul

KevinC
25th July 2010, 08:54 PM
As a matter of interest it is only developer that is adversely effected by exposure to air, stop and fix are not in my experience.

I appreciate that this is the case with stop & fix, but I still like to make sure they can't leak and if it keeps the air out as well, even better.

Kevin, as a point of interest, it usually better to use a little bit more dev/stop/fix than is normal . I always use 400 mlo for 35mm and 600 for, 120, this alows for possible sliping of the spiral onthe center colum,or other slight problems, which might leave a thin strip of underdeveloped negative,so I woulse 700 instead of 600 for 2 films Richard

I usually use a single 35mm film tank, and when the lid is on the spiral can't slip up (unlike the previous Paterson that had the little plastic clip). With the Paterson Universal 2 reel tank the same applies when 2 are fitted the 'funnel' lid stops them moving.

I didn't read your post until after I used 600ml, but there were no problems :) - Not sure 700ml would fit in... ??

Just as a point Peter Hogan's Prescysol developer has the same time for all types of film, 10 1/2 mins for the semi-stand method.

Tony

Interesting... I don't usually do two films at once, but luckily these two required the exact same time.

I remember as a student in the 1970's doing nearly all B+W films in
D76 1:1 10 minutes @70F. FP4, HP4, Tri-X, Plus-X etc. Other films weren't generally available in all shops.

Stainless tanks which I still use to this day, 250ml for one 35mm, 400ml for 120 and 450ml for two 35mm in a 120 tank.

Don't use the same times for all now as the films have advanced in technology but do use the suggested times on the ID11 pack as a general guide.

Paul

I can remember developing many films back in the 70's and 80's and just used my watch, sometimes forgetting exactly how many whole mins had passed and having to make a guess! I used the time on the inside of the film box and had the temp 'somewhere near' 20deg, - They all came out ok(ish) though :)

Many thanks to everyone here for your input and discussion - Both films have now been shot, developed, dried and sleeved.
They both look good to me and will probably scan them tomorrow.

Peter Hogan
27th July 2010, 07:54 AM
With prescysol (and Prescysol EF) you can use films of different makes, of different speeds, in the same tank for the same time....
Honest!

Steve Smith
27th July 2010, 08:03 AM
With prescysol (and Prescysol EF) you can use films of different makes, of different speeds, in the same tank for the same time....
Honest!

He's right. I do it quite often!!!

Steve.

Neil Smith
27th July 2010, 08:04 AM
Honest!

May I add with excellent results, these are excellent developers and I have been very happy with the results I have had with FP4, HP5, Pan F and Tri X