PDA

View Full Version : City of London in September

paulc
26th July 2010, 08:40 PM
Anyone interested in a morning/late afternoon shoot round central London on the 4th September ?

I was thinking of heading down to Silverprint to pick up a copy of Tim Rudman's book, and maybe do some LF stuff while I'm in the area.

Jon Butler
27th July 2010, 11:37 AM
I hope you get away with using a tripod in The City but I very much doubt it. There has always been bylaws in place covering the use of tripods, it's about obstruction in the highway and footpaths.
I've seen many tourists getting away with it but not me and I live there.
Sorry but hope this information helps you to be aware.
JON.

Your trip clashes with FADU's exhibition opening.

Barry
27th July 2010, 12:35 PM

Your trip clashes with FADU's exhibition opening.

Indeed it does Paul. Some of us will be in Wellingborough during that weekend.

paulc
28th July 2010, 11:03 AM
Hadn't been following the FADU Exhibition news, so wasn't aware of any conflict.

Having fallen foul of a jobsworth[1] in Trafalgar Square in the past, I'm brushing up on local bylaws for London - byelaws.pdf (http://www.london.gov.uk/trafalgarsquare/docs/squares_byelaws.pdf) makes no mention of tripods, and the Royal Parks docs appear to encourage amateurs. That said, the point about causing an obstruction is worth bearing in mind at all times.

[1] Fobbed off the jobsworth with the line "Sorry mate, don't speak english."

photomi7ch
28th July 2010, 06:12 PM
There is a big thread on here about the law and jobsworths.

But in short:
There is no law in the United Kingdom preventing a photographer whether amateur or professional from taking photo's in a public place. Nor do individuals have the legal right to stop a photographer from photographing them.

Dave miller
28th July 2010, 06:51 PM
There is a big thread on here about the law and jobsworths.

But in short:
There is no law in the United Kingdom preventing a photographer whether amateur or professional from taking photo's in a public place. Nor do individuals have the legal right to stop a photographer from photographing them.

But there are general laws regarding obstruction that come into play. Which I think was the point being made with regard to the use of a tripod.

Neil Smith
28th July 2010, 07:52 PM
There is an article written by a freelancer in Professional Photographer, I think it is this months mag, explaining the legal rights and wrongs of street photography worth a read.
What is not discussed and seems more difficult to find info on, is the legal rights of publishing these images. And by publishing I mean exhibitions, web sites etc anywhere on public view, not necessarily for remuneration. This information would be very useful, as what is the use of knowing you have a right to take a photograph, if for example you can't add it to a website or send it to the FADU exhibition, without fear of someone suing you.

Neil

donut
29th July 2010, 07:14 AM
might be able to join you Paul ,,but wont know for sure till after the 23rd august .

Dave miller
29th July 2010, 07:19 AM
There is an article written by a freelancer in Professional Photographer, I think it is this months mag, explaining the legal rights and wrongs of street photography worth a read.
What is not discussed and seems more difficult to find info on, is the legal rights of publishing these images. And by publishing I mean exhibitions, web sites etc anywhere on public view, not necessarily for remuneration. This information would be very useful, as what is the use of knowing you have a right to take a photograph, if for example you can't add it to a website or send it to the FADU exhibition, without fear of someone suing you.

Neil

As far as I am aware you may photograph anything and anyone from a public highway and use it as you wish. Anyone else care to amplify that?

photomi7ch
29th July 2010, 09:39 AM
There is a very enlightning book called The Photographer and the Law (ISBN 0907297447) writen by Don Cassell chairman of the Law board for the National council for the training of Journalists.

It was a very easy read.

I would have thought it was common sence not to put up a tripod in a crowded place. This would also apply to standing still to take a foto.

Neil Smith
29th July 2010, 10:12 AM
There is a very enlightning book called The Photographer and the Law (ISBN 0907297447) writen by Don Cassell chairman of the Law board for the National council for the training of Journalists.

It was a very easy read.

I would have thought it was common sence not to put up a tripod in a crowded place. This would also apply to standing still to take a foto.

Thanks for that I just ordered a copy secondhand it was 1p +£2.75 P+P, though I note that it was published in 1997 and I can't find a revised copy since that date, but worth it I think.

Neil

Akki14
29th July 2010, 10:26 AM
I'll come meet up with you, Paul! :D Not sure if I'll tote along my 4x5 too... definitely not the MPP (too heavy) but maybe the Speedgraphic...

I thought I owed you a coffee and a meet anyway?

Dave miller
18th August 2010, 06:45 AM
Due to the cancellation of our FADU2010 exhibition I guess some of us are now free on the 4th September, and could get to London; so I thought perhaps we could support Tim’s book launch and take the opportunity for a social meeting over lunch or tea in a local watering hole. The Crown on Blackfriars Road (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/285/the-crown) has been recommended as a possible meeting point where we can check-out the progress made by its new owners. Anyone interested, meet about 11am(ish) for a portrait session before going on to Silverprint for 1pm?

RSVP

Alfonso
18th August 2010, 11:50 AM
Shit!!, it will be two weeks early to me. I will be in London on the 17th, 18th and 19th morning. But a visit to Silverprint is compulsory anyway.

Cheers

Steve Smith
18th August 2010, 12:27 PM
And a couple of days late for me as I will probably be in London on the 1st and 2nd of September.

Steve.

paulc
18th August 2010, 01:21 PM
Anyone interested, meet about 11am(ish) for a portrait session before going on to Silverprint for 1pm?

I'd been wondering about suitable locations to gather... I had also posted a suggestion of a meeting over on another board (APUG) - Any objections to combining the two crowds ?

Dave miller
18th August 2010, 01:25 PM
I'd been wondering about suitable locations to gather... I had also posted a suggestion of a meeting over on another board (APUG) - Any objections to combining the two crowds ?

None from me.

Dave miller
24th August 2010, 09:40 AM
Due to the cancellation of our FADU2010 exhibition I guess some of us are now free on the 4th September, and could get to London; so I thought perhaps we could support Tim’s book launch and take the opportunity for a social meeting over lunch or tea in a local watering hole. The Crown on Blackfriars Road (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/285/the-crown) has been recommended as a possible meeting point where we can check-out the progress made by its new owners. Anyone interested, meet about 11am(ish) for a portrait session before going on to Silverprint for 1pm?

RSVP

Anyone else able to attend?

Jon Butler
24th August 2010, 11:41 AM
Yes Dave I'll be there for pint and chat, the southbank could be interesting on that day too, especially if the weather is fine.
JON.

Barry
24th August 2010, 12:56 PM
I hope to be there too Dave.

bill spears
24th August 2010, 06:02 PM
And a couple of days late for me as I will probably be in London on the 1st and 2nd of September.

Steve.

Same for me...... a pity really, because I'll be making a rare visit to London on the 2nd for an exhibition. Ther's a slim chance I could hang around til the 4th but it's unlikely

Bill

donut
25th August 2010, 03:54 PM
i will try and be there , with a non fadu member ,( nikon f90 )

Steve Smith
26th August 2010, 07:53 AM
Same for me...... a pity really, because I'll be making a rare visit to London on the 2nd for an exhibition.

Is this your exhibition or just one you are visiting?

Steve.

donut
26th August 2010, 01:50 PM
Anyone interested, meet about 11am(ish) for a portrait session before going on to Silverprint for 1pm?

RSVP

they close at 13.00 hrs on a saturday Dave

Dave miller
26th August 2010, 02:52 PM
they close at 13.00 hrs on a saturday Dave

Who? The pub or Silverprint? :confused: If the former, it's not a problem, and if the latter then I have the magic knock code for the side door. ;)

donut
26th August 2010, 05:05 PM
magic knock code may be needed then

photomi7ch
30th August 2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for that I just ordered a copy secondhand it was 1p +£2.75 P+P, though I note that it was published in 1997 and I can't find a revised copy since that date, but worth it I think.

Neil

Sorry Neil but missed your post. Mine is a 97 copy, it was the latest edition when I puchased It, had not relised I had own my copy for so long.

donut
4th September 2010, 10:03 AM
Well I am here but pub is shut... Who is turning up...

Neil Smith
4th September 2010, 10:23 AM

Wish I was there but I'm shooting a wedding today, I feel very envious of all who can manage to make it. I hope you enjoy, see if you can persuade Tim to run an advanced Lith course next year;)

Neil

ashfordpod
4th September 2010, 03:47 PM

I turned up on spec after visiting Silverprint....pub closed, being refurbed by the look of it!
I was hoping to buy Donut a pint to repay his hospitality when he gave a days primer on film processing and printing (I'm footman on TP!)

paulc
4th September 2010, 10:13 PM

Um.. Apologies for that. If I had known that the pub was sanding the floors, another venue would have been suggested. Coming all the way from the hills of Norfolk, I was a tad disappointed too.

Dave miller
5th September 2010, 07:40 AM
Um.. Apologies for that. If I had known that the pub was sanding the floors, another venue would have been suggested. Coming all the way from the hills of Norfolk, I was a tad disappointed too.

We were all caught out by that, four of us retired to the cafe opposite for breakfast before going to The Stage Door where a film production team entertained us for an hour.

Tim and Martin made us all very welcome at Silverprint where Tim presented an enthralling talk liberally illustrated with his many fine prints demonstrating the progression of his work over the years. Thanks Tim for a most interesting talk, I enjoyed it. Also thanks are due to Martin for the hospitality.

Tim's toning book is apparently selling well with over a third of the limited stock sold already, so, if you haven't already done so, get your order in quickly because these are the last copies, and could be a good investment as well as a very informative read. ;)