PDA

View Full Version : Glass Marbles & chemistry

Steve_F
23rd September 2010, 02:04 PM
Hi all,
I've heard that some folks use glass marbles to keep their chemistry bottles topped up so prolonging shelf-life. Anybody here do the same or heard of it?
Obviously there will come a point when the dribble will no longer be affected.

Steve.

Dave miller
23rd September 2010, 02:07 PM
Certainly have heard of it and even tried it many years ago. There are many much easier method. I use an inert gas, and some use old wine bags. It's only the developer that needs the air excluded to prolong it's life.

Neil Smith
23rd September 2010, 02:23 PM
Did this some 30 years ago, sterilsed the marbles first, but same as Dave I use this stuff from AG now

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/tetenal-protectan-spray-1247-p.asp

Neil

Miha
23rd September 2010, 02:46 PM
TT Protectan works great. The can also lasts a long time.

DaveP
23rd September 2010, 04:02 PM
I use those pumpable vacuum wine corks.

B&W Neil
23rd September 2010, 04:58 PM
A squirt of inert gas over the top of the developers for me too. I have heard of the marbles trick but never fancied doing it.

Neil.

Bob
23rd September 2010, 05:35 PM
Likewise, I used to do this and now use an inert gas instead. You would be amazed how many marbles it takes! Also, once you get below about halfway the ratio of marbles to liquid becomes a bit silly so I'd say bite the bullet and get a can of Protectan or similar.

Steve_F
25th September 2010, 04:47 AM
Well the consensus (from experience) is inert gas so that's what it'll be.

Thanks,

Steve.

Mike O'Pray
26th September 2010, 10:41 PM
I have tried both and as is often the case, administrator Bob sums up very succinctly my findings as well.

I am now a confirmed Protectan user as well if I have stuff in bottles or other containers that air can get into. Mind you if you squeeze a wine bag until the liquid gets to the top and then fit the dispenser without allowing the dev to drop back down the bag's throat, no air can get back in.

Mike