PDA

View Full Version : DiXactol...

raulpc
28th September 2010, 04:15 PM
...again from Barry Thornton!
That I was able to find from Monochrome Photography (thank you very much, Peter!), and it arrived just today, and want to try as soon as I can...

Have some of you experienced it?...

Got very excited about this two bath developer possibility... I will let you know how it goes...

;)

B&W Neil
28th September 2010, 04:21 PM
Raul,

Yes it is an excellent developer and I am sure you will be pleased with the results. I used it for a while and it never let me down. We would welcome any feedback you can give on your initial testing etc.

Neil.

Adrian Twiss
28th September 2010, 04:29 PM
I used it shortly after it came out. Like some previous posters observed I found it did react badly to contamination from other processing chemicals on the spiral. I bought a new spiral to use exclusively with Dixactol plus two small graduates for measuring out each solution.

I have used it both as a two bath and as a single bath with "partial stand" agitation. I adopted single bath partial stand as my normal processing regime from that point on as it involved fewer steps.

The biggest thing for me was the level of compensation that this developer gave me. Skies became much easier to print and burning in was greatly reduced. I downrated my films by a small amount because I like full shadows so I rated HP5 at 320, FP4 at 100 and Pan F at 32.

Having now tried Prescysol and Prescysol EF I find both these developers as easy to use and have had no contamination issues with them. I mix them with distilled water. In terms of results I think that Prescysol EF has the edge for smooth grain.

If you like Dixactol you will also enjoy Prescysol and (possibly) find it a little more convenient to use.

Good luck

Adrian

raulpc
1st October 2010, 08:41 AM
If you like Dixactol you will also enjoy Prescysol and (possibly) find it a little more convenient to use.

Good luck

Adrian

Thank you, Adrian, I will try that one next, for sure... right now I just tried Dixactol on my first roll and I am thrilled with the results... the stain is really there... I printed one frame from the negative, and I am absolutely impressed with it... full tones, and catching sharpness... amazing!... As you say, I will keep a spiral and tank just for that...

And will try to scan a print from it to show you here!

:D