PDA

View Full Version : A "Legacy" of Problems

Mike O'Pray
10th October 2010, 11:19 PM
Well I managed to load my bulk LP400 into my Watson loader with 12 frames and exposed and processed the negs tonight with what may be various problems.

I'd appreciate help in isolating these:

The whole film looks fogged with the exception of maybe one neg. Let me explain. The sprocket holes along the full length are nearly as dark as the neg so it is difficult to determine where the sprocket holes end and the frame begins. There isn't that clear rectangular frame that characterises 35mm film.Most negs look very uniform grey and under a loup the negs look grainy. There appears to be no contrast with the exception of what appears to be the one good neg with another next to it being maybe OK. Even the good neg has some dark grey around the sprocket holes but it isn't a uniform darkness like the rest

Most negs look underexposed but this may be the fogging effect as I don't think they are underexposed. A camera's metering system doesn't usually go wrong then right itself for one neg and then go wrong again.

It suggests to me that the cassette I used isn't light tight and the one good neg being in the middle of the film strip was rotected by the rest of the film. It may be the one neg that even with the cassette's exposure to light, both on loading into the camera and unloading would have been protected.

Is my reasoning holding up here?

I feel I can rule out any dev problems as the numbers along the edges look about right and anyway the dev was used with Neopan 400 only about 2 weeks ago with no problems.

Can I take it from users of LP 400 that as it is the same film as Neopan400 then dev times will be the same?

Certainly the exposed part of the film has gone black which again suggests that the dev did its job.

It may be my loader that is leaking light but I can see no cracks and as the film was cranked from the loader into the cassette you'd expect light streaks as each frame went past the crack. Certainly everything on the loader appears to be working as it should. It clicks in the closed position as Watsons' should.

My plan would be to test for any cracks in the loader by reeling out a length in the dark and loading it straight into a tank reel and processing. If the film is totally blank then I think that rules out leaks in the loader.

Hoefully we can rule out a film age problem. It is short dated but only requires processing by end Jan 2011.

I am sure any users here of LP400 would have said if they had noticed any kind of film problem.

So my initial plan of action is to: Do as I said 3 papargraphs above. If no problems then load another short length and expose and process again but this time NOT use the same re-useable cassettes.

To sum up: my gut feel is that either the cassettes are leaking or in messing about with the bulk roll and a new loader( The Watson as opposed to the Telesar where the spool won't fit) I somehow managed to fog the film very slightly.

It is early days to set any hares running and it may only have been me who bought a pack of metal cassettes from the same company as the OP mentioned in a thread about re-useable casettes here but just in case the cassettes may be prone to leakage possibly because the ends require pressing on where it is easy to make a mistake in so doing, then that person who posted about such cassettes might care to be very careful with them if he bought any.

He should have enough knowledge to know what I am referring to.

So two things: Can those who use LP400 confirm that the exact same development times apply as they used for Neopan 400?

Would anyone who has thoughts on my plan of diagnostic action to solve the problem comment. It will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

cliveh
11th October 2010, 06:48 AM
my gut feel is that either the cassettes are leaking or in messing about with the bulk roll and a new loader

Mike, I have no experience of using LP400, but I would suggest your gut feel is correct. Many years ago I occasionally used bulk loaders and re-usable cassettes, but abandoned them for the same reason I wouldn’t use a squeegee with film, such as dust, grit and the problems you have unfortunately encountered. With film straight out the box you usually know what you’re getting and its sods law that an accident from a reloadable cassette or bulk loader will happen to that frame you can’t repeat.

mono
11th October 2010, 07:12 AM
Mike,
that´s the reason why I never tried that in fear of those problems!
Well, no helpful answer at all, I know...

wiesmier
11th October 2010, 07:55 AM
I have used bulk lp400 and find it a fine film. For cassettes I re-use empty ilford/agfa/kodak/Adox spools and tape the ends together. When using these type of spools I never crack them open but just cut off the film when it has been loaded on the developing spool.
I develop the stuff in Rodinal 1:50 for 10 minsafter shooting at 250asa making sure the chems are all with 5c since, if you don't, the film reticulates.

Neil Smith
11th October 2010, 09:39 AM
I would have suggested what you have already said yourself, processing a strip of film from the bulk loader to check if there is any fogging issues in the bulk loader. If this is fine then it's your cassettes that seem to be at fault, unless the film somehow got fogged whilst the tank was loaded before being processed.

Neil

Mike O'Pray
11th October 2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks all so far. I have some Rodinal so I'll try it to develop some blank film extracted from the loader and loaded into a reel, both actions in the total dark.

The cassette I had used relies on the crimped end being taken off and re-fitted properly to the cassette. It is a push fit system( might explain why there were a bargain buy) It is just possible that on re-fitting it didn't fit properly all round or it opened up a little when being taken off and is no longer a light tight fit all round.

I have some Jessops cassettes where the ends screw on. Never a light tight problems with those. So why change? Well I was experiencing some resistance on wind back. They are plastic cassettes and I think there is too much friction between the spindle and the outer cassette. Occasionally I had to complete the windback in the darkroom OK if that was the last film of the day but not OK if I wanted to put another film in while still in the field.

Best of both worlds is probably wiesmier's suggestion about using used manufacturer's cassettes. Might give that a go

Mike

wiesmier
11th October 2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks all so far. I have some Rodinal so I'll try it to develop some blank film extracted from the loader and loaded into a reel, both actions in the total dark.

The cassette I had used relies on the crimped end being taken off and re-fitted properly to the cassette. It is a push fit system( might explain why there were a bargain buy) It is just possible that on re-fitting it didn't fit properly all round or it opened up a little when being taken off and is no longer a light tight fit all round.

I have some Jessops cassettes where the ends screw on. Never a light tight problems with those. So why change? Well I was experiencing some resistance on wind back. They are plastic cassettes and I think there is too much friction between the spindle and the outer cassette. Occasionally I had to complete the windback in the darkroom OK if that was the last film of the day but not OK if I wanted to put another film in while still in the field.

Best of both worlds is probably wiesmier's suggestion about using used manufacturer's cassettes. Might give that a go

Mike
Mike, if you bought the cassettes off Mr Cad recently, then they are rubbish. I did the same and soon had them in the bin!

Mike O'Pray
11th October 2010, 02:16 PM
wiesmier, that's exactly where I got them from. What you have said may be good news in one aspect as it points to the cassettes.

You live and learn

Thanks

Mike

Larry
11th October 2010, 04:19 PM
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I know it's a bit late but as a avid user of LegacyPro film I confirm I develop it exactly as the Fuji Acros 100 and Neopan 400 green boxed originals.

I use Fotospeed FD10 and have had no issues at all - lovely negs.

Like you my bulk cans are short dated 01/2011 but I've had mine in the fridge but I honestly think your fogging problem is probably with the cassettes you use.

As a suggestion why not pop into your local Boots or similar photo processor and ask for some empty branded film-cassettes. These are what I use and just sellotape my bulk film to the small leader sticking out of the empty cassette. Even if you just pick up 1 empty unit you can experiment if it is indeed your Mr CAD's rubbish products!

Anyway, keep trying as LegacyPro is a great film. I'm sure if they was any major faults with this film the web would have many such forum posts.

My sincere best wishes
Larry

JimW
11th October 2010, 04:56 PM
When looking for solutions to problems, change only one variable at a time. However, keep your dev time and temp consistent, but change the way you use the cassette. If you keep the same cassette, AND load it from the bulk loader into the camera in the dark AND unload it in the dark, you may find a different result. If I may suggest you try that first-if you get perfectly formed negs then it was the cassette leaking light as you load it from the loader to the camera. If thats no good, then changing the cassette for a different one is another avenue.
I'm worried now-I bought some of those metal cassettes...

Mike O'Pray
29th October 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm worried now-I bought some of those metal cassettes...

Jim, Have you used any of them and if so what was the result? I threw away the offending cassette and have used the suggestion of attaching the bulk film to a manufacturer's used cassette. Problem solved.

The other cassettes I had bought as the cheap job lot looked OK but I couldn't risk another ruined film from potential light leaks so binned them.

Mike

cliveh
29th October 2010, 08:27 PM
Mike, why not keep things simple. Get rid of those bulk loaders.

Mike O'Pray
29th October 2010, 10:18 PM
Clive it will simply turn into the same kind of thread as the benefits or otherwise of "slotty things" for print developing.

We'll just have to agree to differ and leave it in the setting of "To each his own"

Mike

JimW
30th October 2010, 10:43 AM
In response to Mike O'Pray-I binned them too. For me, it's not worth the risk. Once again, if you buy cheap, you buy twice.....

Mike O'Pray
11th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Time for a follow-up on this. I loaded into a manufacturer's used cassette and the problem of the light contamination disappeared. It was either the re-useable cassette which I had bought or to be scrupulously fair I had failed to get the end back on successfully.

Either way I would not use re-useable cassettes again which relied on pushing the crimped end back on to re-seal the cassette.

Jessops re-useable plastic cassettes have screw on ends and are light tight but plastic spindles in a plastic cassette don't seem to run as freely as used manufacturers' metal cassettes. I don't think this would be an issue if the camera had manual rewind but mine is auto rewind only and the motor struggles with the extra friction of plastic spindles in plastic cassettes on the rewind although no issues on forward motion.

Overall I think that using used cassettes is as good a way as any. Thanks for all responses

Mike