PDA

View Full Version : How much!

MPerson
16th October 2010, 02:21 PM
Some people will pay over the odds for anything. I couldn't believe what a bottle of Photo Flo went for (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KODAK-PHOTO-FLO-WETTING-AGENT-500ml-/140463795111?pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item20b44b6ba7).

JimW
16th October 2010, 04:21 PM
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance....

Tony Marlow
16th October 2010, 06:35 PM
Not so long ago it cost around £10 for a 50ml bottle from retailers.

Tony

Mike O'Pray
16th October 2010, 07:18 PM
I am highly suspicious of this. Admittedly I cannot figure out what would be achieved by some sort of e-bay scam where the price is bid up by an "insider" group but it seems incredible that anyone who knows enough about darkroom processing to bid for it hasn't checked out the retail price such as that charged by Matt at Ag and ceased bidding once the price went even slightly about retailers' price.

I appreciate there is the phenomenon of "bid fever" but on a plain and simple proprietary item???

There are some strange happenings on e-bay which may be due to sheer ignorance on the part of bidders but I remain suspicious.

Mike

Richard Gould
16th October 2010, 08:38 PM
some people can,t know what Photo flo is,or someone has bid mania, and will bid on anything,There are people out there who will bid on anything which for any reason they think is Vintage, and perhaps the same people think anything connected with analoge photography is ''Vintage'', Richard

vanannan
16th October 2010, 09:15 PM
Some people will pay over the odds for anything. I couldn't believe what a bottle of Photo Flo went for (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KODAK-PHOTO-FLO-WETTING-AGENT-500ml-/140463795111?pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item20b44b6ba7).

Many years ago I decided to stock up on photo flo as it was so cheap to purchase in large quantities so I bought 2x5 litres, I am not yet half way through the first one so anyone who would like to purchase an unopened 5 litre container of Photo flo 600 it's yours for £120 post paid, a bargain:D

Ps when I started darkroom work in about 1965 I read in one of the photo mags (probably AP) that Stergene could be used as a wetting agent so being cheap a started using that, worked very well, before I became enlightened I used to glaze glossy paper on a flatbed drier glazer purchased from Marston & Heard, Stergene also worked well as a glazing solution, quite fragrant as I recall, anyone know if it is still produced?

JimW
16th October 2010, 09:24 PM
Pm sent....:D:D

Mike O'Pray
16th October 2010, 10:59 PM
Don't be a mug Jim - its a scam. Now if this was in a small container say 250ml with the details saying: "last of these bijou chemicals when photography took place in dark, dank smelly rooms ...then the sky's the limit :D:

Mike

vanannan
17th October 2010, 08:24 AM
Don't be a mug Jim - its a scam. Now if this was in a small container say 250ml with the details saying: "last of these bijou chemicals when photography took place in dark, dank smelly rooms ...then the sky's the limit :D:

Mike

A scam:eek: how dare you:D:D:D

JimW
17th October 2010, 10:27 AM
Well, well, I live and learn.... then I die, and forget it all....:D:D

Bob
17th October 2010, 11:14 AM
You can still get Stergene but I doubt it has the same formula of old - modern safety regulations and changes in the cost of materials have caused most cleaning products to be reformulated over the years.

In general, it's not a good idea to use detergents in place of photo wetting agents - they may also contain whiteners, fragrances and other substances that may negatively effect the print or negatives. Given the cost (even on eb*y when two people each decide that THEY are going to get it!) and that they last so long you may as well get the real stuff.

Steve Smith
17th October 2010, 01:00 PM
So how much should this cost?

The listing states free postage and packing but obviously the buyer is going to pay for this - just added to the cost of the item.

Steve.

Bob
17th October 2010, 01:50 PM
So how much should this cost?

The listing states free postage and packing but obviously the buyer is going to pay for this - just added to the cost of the item.

Steve.
Well under 7 quid at FADU sponsoring stockists... You have to add postage, but most people will buy it as part of a larger order.

Martin Aislabie
17th October 2010, 05:22 PM

Think of it as a tax on the stupid :o

Martin

MPerson
18th October 2010, 05:44 AM
Think of it as a tax on the stupid :o

Martin

:D Perfect!