PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom kit available

Mark Burley
2nd December 2008, 11:52 PM
Hi All, I was passed a note from one of my camera club guys that is basically a list of darkroom gear if anyone is interested. The guy was going to skip it all but was persuaded to ask us first... PM me if you want to follow up any of it:

Durst M600 Enlarger and copying unit (Boxed as new)
EL Nikkor 2.8 50mm lens (Boxed as new)
LPL easel 10x12
Paterson auto print washer 12 prints up 10x12
Paterson 35mm Neg proof sheet printer
Paterson single spiral 35mm dev tank
Daylight Light box 18x15"
Various Fibre based paper (will try to get list)

Mike O'Pray
3rd December 2008, 12:32 AM
Not really a response to this, just a thought on darkroom equipment which it has sparked. I had seen a number of replies( on another site) saying that such equipment was being virtually dumped. I could never understand this as such equipment seemed to be still fetching reasonable prices on UK e-bay but tonight as if to give credence to "dumping" I saw a Durst Graduate (35mm B&W) enlarger go for £10.50 with a 50mm and 80mm Rodenstock lenses. Allegedly brand new in the sense of never used.

I said this on another site a few weeks ago but I think we haven't reached anything like the bottom yet in this recession. It's seemed to have passed darkroom equipment by almost until now. Is this the start of it really biting on analogue equipment?

I hope someone can use this. Fintan in Ireland seems to have a need for such equipment for his B&W workshops which deserve a lot of help. He and the Fizz do a lot of great work.

Pity about the distance and cost of getting it there.

Mike

Bob
3rd December 2008, 12:39 AM
Well, that's a good lens at least and it would be a shame to see that dumped! I already have one.

Mark Burley
3rd December 2008, 12:56 AM
I swear by my Nikon EL lenses - I prefer them above all the others... I think the guy would take just about any reasonable offer...

PaulG
3rd December 2008, 09:17 AM
Not really a response to this, just a thought on darkroom equipment which it has sparked. I had seen a number of replies( on another site) saying that such equipment was being virtually dumped. I could never understand this as such equipment seemed to be still fetching reasonable prices on UK e-bay but tonight as if to give credence to "dumping" I saw a Durst Graduate (35mm B&W) enlarger go for £10.50 with a 50mm and 80mm Rodenstock lenses. Allegedly brand new in the sense of never used.

I said this on another site a few weeks ago but I think we haven't reached anything like the bottom yet in this recession. It's seemed to have passed darkroom equipment by almost until now. Is this the start of it really biting on analogue equipment?

Pity about the distance and cost of getting it there.

Mike

I think you have summed up the issues very well here. I like to think of myself as a 'net acquirer' of photographic gear (camera and darkroom). It sounds much nicer than 'hoarder'. That said I clearly don't move in the right circles. I keep hearing of people picking up free kit that would otherwise be junked, but it hasn't happened to me yet. :(

I've noticed that gear I bought a year or so ago is changing hands in some cases for a lot less than I paid at the time. Big pieces of darkroom kit seem to vary hugely and I assume this has a lot to do with the location of the seller. Having to travel half way across the country to collect a piece of kit is likely to deter buyers or ensure that they offer a low price. In times of economic uncertainty, I guess people will start to be more careful about what they buy.

On a related note I put in a cheeky bid the other day on a Linhof monorail that ended up not reaching its reserve. Perhaps sellers will have to revise their thinking if they want to shift 'big ticket' items.

Fintan
3rd December 2008, 01:36 PM
Mark, I'd take this in a heartbeat except its 3 weeks to Christmas and theres a big pool of water between us. Don't let the guy skip it.

Mark Burley
4th December 2008, 12:56 AM
I certainly won't be letting him skip it... I guess (or I am hoping) he will let it go for virtually nothing especially if it will go to a good home...

Fintan
4th December 2008, 07:19 AM
Mark will you PM me this chaps email address. Thanks
Fintan

Mark Burley
4th December 2008, 10:55 PM
Will send you a PM tomorrow night - sorry, got my feet up after a shopping trip round Milton Keynes with my better half - the address is in my studio :o

Mark Burley
12th December 2008, 11:12 PM
Many moons later _ sorry Fintan, I have now checked out the rest of the kit. The bulk of it is pretty much worthless. I am waiting to see the state of the enlarger but if it is any thing like the trays and safe lights etc - Don't bother...

Will post or PM you if it is otherwise.