PDA

View Full Version : Pentax 67 filters

Andy
9th November 2010, 10:59 AM
guru's

After fumbling about with my new toy for a couple of months, its time to bite the bullet and get some filters. I will only ever take Black and white so the range doesn't have to be too extensive. only problem i see is that the filter ring seems to vary across each lens in the Pentax range. So, With you guys being the font of most sensible film knowledge on the net (odd exceptions lol) Can you suggest which direction I should go. Lee is expensive and I will go that way if needed, but is there a cheaper alternative that won't compromise the quality of the lens and will fit the range required.

Ta

Andy

Neil Smith
9th November 2010, 11:04 AM
If considering Lee also have a look at Formatt also known as HiTech if you do a search on this forum, they were discussed quite recently and Teamwork stock them if memory serves.

Neil

Dave miller
9th November 2010, 11:35 AM
I standardised on 77mm screw-in glass filters which covers my medium and large format lens, and get around the differing lens sizes by buying step-up rings to convert them.

Richard Gould
9th November 2010, 01:07 PM
Try the cokin system,I believe they are available in 3 sizes,but the cokin P system should be fine,I filter holder ans a mounting ring for each size, plus lens hoods to mount on the holder,Richard

Trevor Crone
9th November 2010, 06:10 PM
Andy, what ever you do don't compromise on quality and therefore cost of filters, otherwise you could turn a fine lens into a poor one.

Personaly I've always gone for glass screw type from the likes of B+W, Heliopan, Hoya. Plus I always keep a UV or Skylight on the front of every lens as protection - cheaper to replace then a front element repair.

Martin Aislabie
9th November 2010, 07:22 PM
Andy, what ever you do don't compromise on quality and therefore cost of filters, otherwise you could turn a fine lens into a poor one.

Personaly I've always gone for glass screw type from the likes of B+W, Heliopan, Hoya. Plus I always keep a UV or Skylight on the front of every lens as protection - cheaper to replace then a front element repair.

I do exactly the same as Trevor

Daves' suggestion of buying the largest filter required and then buy step-up rings to allow them to fit the smaller lens sizes is probably the most economical.

To avoid seemingly endless changing of filters as you swap lenses, I own a couple of filters in each of my two most used colours.

Martin

Neil Smith
9th November 2010, 08:30 PM
I should have said earlier my preference is for glass filters also, I have mainly Hoya HMC or B/W but the Formatt / HiTech filters I would use instead of Lee would be the grey graduated type which in my opinion are a waste of time in circular glass as they are not adjustable.

Neil