PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jobo ATL1000 processor

cesare
13th November 2010, 10:58 PM
Hi, i've just picked up a second hand ATL1000 processor to replace a Jobo CPE-2 for home film processing. I do plenty of B&W, and switch between C41 and E6.

E6 looks to be going to work well (i've only done a simulated test run) but i've got a problem with the B&W processing - the heater for the water bath has run the bath up to 38C, as for colour work - my expectation was that it either would move the bath to 20C, or would leave it at room temp.

Anyone any ideas about whether i've just not understood, or what could possibly be wrong?

Mike O'Pray
14th November 2010, 12:26 AM
Hi and welconme to FADU. I don't have one but the literature suggests that it can be programmed for E6, C41, RA4 and B&W films and prints. In pictures I have seen there seems to be a knob which controls temp.

Does this knob not work?

There may be others here who have an ATL-1000 and who know exactly what needs to be done but it may help us to help you if you say what controls there are and how water temp is controlled.

It would seem you are saying that the same electricity that provides the power also automatically pushes the water temp up to 38C where it stays. So the thermostat is working otherwise the temp couldn't be maintained.

Just seems strange that everything works except the means to control water temp.

Mike

Trond
14th November 2010, 07:56 AM
Hello,

I have an ATL-1000, but use it mostly for E-6 and some C-41. For B&W it should heat the water bath to 24C. Something is wrong if it goes up to 38C when running one of the B&W programs.

Have you tried all the B&W programs?

Trond

Trond
14th November 2010, 08:53 AM
Btw, I have the ATL-1500 manual if you are interested. The difference is that the ATL-1500 is user programmable. Just PM me with your e-mail address.

Trond

Bill
14th November 2010, 10:35 AM
There is a copy of the manual for the 1000 and 1500 on the Jobo site.

See http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/instructions/instructions_manual_atl-1500_00.htm

Bill

cesare
14th November 2010, 09:32 PM
Hello,

I have an ATL-1000, but use it mostly for E-6 and some C-41. For B&W it should heat the water bath to 24C. Something is wrong if it goes up to 38C when running one of the B&W programs.

Have you tried all the B&W programs?

Trond

Ah, good to know the ATL-1000 should also head to 24C but no further. I'd be interested to know if you get a delay on your processor from switch on.

With my one, with the E6 process, on switch on with a cold bath and cold chemicals the loaded tank spins whilst the bath and chemicals come up to temp, and the processor starts some time interval later (15 mins or so). The processing runs as described in the manual and the results are really good.

With B&W, same starting conditions (cold bath, cold chemicals, loaded film) the pre-wash starts when the processor is started, and the bath and chemicals start rising in temp. After 5 mins the pre-wash ends, and the first chem is fed in at a rather higher temp. The bath temp ramps up to 38C as for the E6 process, but there is no delay waiting for a given chemical temp to be achieved (they were initially around 15C).

So, I think something is up with the machine, and it's probably an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing, but i'm just not sure what it is! Alternatively i'm making some really stupid mistake and using it wrong ;-(

Cesare

cesare
14th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Btw, I have the ATL-1500 manual if you are interested. The difference is that the ATL-1500 is user programmable. Just PM me with your e-mail address.

Trond

Thanks - i've got a copy of the ATL-1000 manual so I believe i'm following the instructions correctly. I'm procecssing with a travel heater/pump which I don't believe changes the processors behavior.

Cesare

Mike O'Pray
14th November 2010, 10:17 PM
You have said it is secondhand but haven't say where you got it from. If it is a secondhand dealer like Secondhand Darkroom Supplies then if there is a fault in the machine you should get a favourable resolution such as money back.

If it's e-bay then contact the seller and at least warn him of a potential problem and a possible dispute scenario. If it was a response to an advert or what is strictly a private sale then your chances of a refund might be more problematical.

In any of the above cases speed is of the essence. I don't want to appear to be cynical but if a seller sells something that he knows to have a fault or even suspects that it may have a fault he is more receptive to your "discovery" if you make the discovery quickly.

I hope that it is something simple that you have simply overlooked but you appear to have done everything correctly and that's a bit worrying.

Mike

cesare
15th November 2010, 05:19 AM
Mike,

Yes, i'm aware of this and have contacted the seller who is happy to have the machine returned. I'm just trying to make sure there is not something trivial i've done wrong, or something trivial to fix to resolve the issue. If I can't resolve this i'll be returning the unit.

Cesare

Trond
15th November 2010, 06:59 AM
You could try to contact Jobo (in Germany), perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Regarding the delay, the processor starts the processing sequence when the developer (tank 1) reaches 38C (E-6) or 24C (B/W).

If I remember correctly, my processor doesn't start with the prewash immediately. I can't check that now unfortunately, because my new darkroom isn't ready yet.

Trond

cesare
3rd January 2011, 08:02 PM
Just to let you know I returned the processor to the vendor and he replaced it with an alternative ATL1000 that was working correctly. This is now up and running although i've not yet got the plumbing completely installed (so it's running from a pumped supply of wash water).

Dave miller
4th January 2011, 07:08 AM
Just to let you know I returned the processor to the vendor and he replaced it with an alternative ATL1000 that was working correctly. This is now up and running although i've not yet got the plumbing completely installed (so it's running from a pumped supply of wash water).

Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased that you got sorted.