PDA

View Full Version : Aspects of Expression: Exploring the Art and Craft of Creative Monochrome Photography

CarlRadford
6th December 2008, 12:19 PM
Has anyone had a chance to get this? Interested in any comments before adding it to my Santa List :)

Peter Hogan
8th December 2008, 08:16 AM
Yes, I've got the book - complimentary from Paul Gallagher, the author. It's just out. Lots about his emotional input into B&W photography - why he takes it etc. Plenty of 'how I did it' info as well. He shoots 4x5, then scans and prints digitally!!! Nice book to have, though; some good landscapes.

Dave miller
8th December 2008, 08:28 AM
Yes, I've got the book - complimentary from Paul Gallagher, the author. It's just out. Lots about his emotional input into B&W photography - why he takes it etc. Plenty of 'how I did it' info as well. He shoots 4x5, then scans and prints digitally!!! Nice book to have, though; some good landscapes.

Some people are past redemption. :(

CarlRadford
8th December 2008, 08:40 AM
some good landscapes.

I think I'll wait till I can see a copy next time I am through at Beyond Words.

Dave miller
8th December 2008, 08:48 AM
I think I'll wait till I can see a copy next time I am through at Beyond Words.

I think that's wise, at least with the more expensive, pictorial books. Increasingly they are being poorly printed, I guess to keep the price down, but it does distract from the appreciation of any photographic content.

wiesmier
8th December 2008, 10:16 AM
Some people are past redemption. :(
I notice that digi printing is the norm over at LF forum

Dave miller
8th December 2008, 11:53 AM
I notice that digi printing is the norm over at LF forum

That's why we are here and not there. Someone's got to do it right. :)

CarlRadford
8th December 2008, 04:53 PM

I appreciate that for some it is a Commercial decision and we should be careful not to slate them for that. After all - all that we see here is digital. Lets keeps the silver side alive without giving the digital side too much of a doing. As long as people are making good images I like to appreciate them for what they are - good images.

I do agree about poor print quality and am happy to pay more to get the quality!

Argentum
8th December 2008, 05:13 PM
The curious thing is that most people goto 4x5 for the increased negative size with improved resolution. Why then do they throw that away by scanning using consumer grade scanners which are only capable of producing quality prints upto 20x16 or so from a 4x5 neg. It would make more sense to use a digital camera for 20x16 prints than to scan 4x5 with a cheap scanner. In my dealings over there I concluded that people were really interested in perceived quality rather than the real image being reproduced. This is despite the fact that a large quantity of posts have been about extracting the last ounce of detail with the scan. The fact that the scan is the weakest link in the chain and could easily be removed, is conveniently forgotten for the sake of instant gratification.
Take the scanner out of the equasion and print directly from film to paper and the quality obtainable goes up. So IMO you either go digi camera or stay with film to paper. Its a personal choice but don't introduce a quality reduction device into the system unless you really have to.

Dave miller
8th December 2008, 05:22 PM
I appreciate that for some it is a Commercial decision and we should be careful not to slate them for that. After all - all that we see here is digital. Lets keeps the silver side alive without giving the digital side too much of a doing. As long as people are making good images I like to appreciate them for what they are - good images.

I do agree about poor print quality and am happy to pay more to get the quality!

Don't get me wrong Carl, I accept that all magazine, books, and as you say, what we view here is a digital reproduction. My point was the actual printing quality is declining with many publications. American book quality has always been dire, and now some of the European output is heading the same way, I believe with the use of photocopier type reproduction as opposed to the old fashioned, and expensive way.
I've just got my copy of "The Darkroom Cookbook" and the picture reproduction in that illustrates "dire" very well. Fortunately I didn't buy it for it's pictures.

Ag-Bromide
14th December 2008, 07:03 PM
The curious thing is that most people goto 4x5 for the increased negative size with improved resolution. Why then do they throw that away by scanning using consumer grade scanners which are only capable of producing quality prints upto 20x16 or so from a 4x5 neg?
Take the scanner out of the equasion and print directly from film to paper and the quality obtainable goes up. So IMO you either go digi camera or stay with film to paper. Its a personal choice but don't introduce a quality reduction device into the system unless you really have to.
Sadly, the craftsmanship of producing photographic prints the traditional way is declining. This is one of the reasons why I joined this forum so That I can correspond with those who are still interested in using the traditional darkroom.

Ag-Bromide
14th December 2008, 07:07 PM
Well said Dave. The next thing is that someone will want a hybrid section on the forum.:eek:

Dave miller
14th December 2008, 07:12 PM
Well said Dave. The next thing is that someone will want a hybrid section on the forum.:eek:

Don't waste any effort on asking.:wag: