PDA

View Full Version : Durst Laborator 1200

Neil Smith
18th November 2010, 10:48 AM
This looks like a good deal lots of extras, all Femoboxes and good range of neg carriers including anti newton, if it were closer to me I would be very tempted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Durst-Laborator-1200-Enlarger-CLS-501-Head-VGC-/300494307829?pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item45f6db41f5#ht_1568wt_1141

Neil

Adrian Twiss
18th November 2010, 02:29 PM
It certainly is a good deal. I paid £900 for mine. As I don't do much colour the CLS head is of no use to me. Also my darkroom is only 8ft high. I have to keep my current L1200 on low table and kneel to print.

MartyNL
18th November 2010, 02:42 PM
It was certainly a bargain, but I also prefer the VLS and Multigraph heads to the CLS. And these really are quite rare these days.

Trevor Crone
18th November 2010, 06:04 PM
Certainly seemed a bargain. I like Durst enlargers, well built and reliable. The 1200 was on my short list before eventually going with a DeVere504.

Mike O'Pray
18th November 2010, 06:41 PM
Just as a matter of interest, how much clearance is needed if 8ft isn't enough? Kind of rules it out for most modern houses with rooms converted as darkrooms. Standard ceilings tend to be about 7ft 6ins, don't they?

Mike

tlitody
18th November 2010, 07:00 PM
depends. If it is mounted on its baseboard then it will just stand on a standard desk height in an 8 foot high ceilinged room. But you can't put the head all the way up without it hitting ceiling. But a desk is lower than the ideal worktop height if standing when printing.
With a good height worktop you are better wall mounting with a cut out at the wall edge of work top so that column can fit from ceiling down below worktop height. You just use the top of the column. You lose some extreme magnification of 4x5 but you still have plenty for medium format and 35mm. If you can't wall mount and worktop is too high, then you are stuffed if you don't have high ceilings. But all 4x5 enlargers are quite tall I think. Measure carefully before committing to buying.

Oh, and if you wall mount you can design worktop with removeable piece for doing BIG enlargements on lower shelf or floor.

Trevor Crone
18th November 2010, 07:02 PM
Just as a matter of interest, how much clearance is needed if 8ft isn't enough? Kind of rules it out for most modern houses with rooms converted as darkrooms. Standard ceilings tend to be about 7ft 6ins, don't they?

Mike

Good question Mike - my darkroom ceiling is just over 8ft. My DeVere 504 enlarger sits on a bench 33.5" high. The enlarger at max extension is 59". Therefore total height = 7ft 6.5ins.

Bob
18th November 2010, 07:29 PM
My 1950's house has 8'4" ceilings and my AC1200 hits the ceiling with about 2-3 inches still to travel up the column (the AC200 head is a bit higher than the L1200's colour head so the L1200 may just make it under my ceiling). It sits on standard kitchen base-units.

The LPL 5x4 enlargers are a bit smaller than most LF enlargers and will fit under an 8' ceiling.

If all else fails, you can site the enlarger column so it is between ceiling joists and cut out a hole in the ceiling plasterboard...

Cheers, Bob.

Mike O'Pray
18th November 2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks all. It was just out of interest as in academic interest to extend my knowledge. My Durst 605 does up to 6x6 and if I were to go for a modern MF such as a Pentax or Mamiya,( I have an old 6x6 Agfa) I am sure I'd settle for 645.

Bob, are you at least a black belt at karate and can you live with me permanently? If I ever suggested a hole in the ceiling plasterboard, I'd need you to as protection against the wife :D:

Mike

Jon Butler
18th November 2010, 09:05 PM
I do have a recess in the ceiling lined with plasterboard, looks smart.
My wife is not even allowed to look in MY darkroom.

Adrian Twiss
19th November 2010, 07:32 AM
My coffee table is 20 inches high and with the head at the top of the column I have about 1.5 inches before the top of the head hits the ceiling. I have remeasured my ceiling height. It is 7ft not 8ft as I previously mentioned.