PDA

View Full Version : Kodachrome

Gary Spicer
7th December 2010, 01:48 PM
Just in case anyone needs to know see below re. Kodachrome processing, this is an email I have just received from Kodak today.

Hello
Last, very last date is 23.12.10 - 07.00 AM here by us in Switzerland.
After this date/time is too late.
But attention on the postal problems, Christmas delays/strikes and also.....
Regards

StanW
7th December 2010, 11:32 PM
Processing is still available from Dwaynes Photo in the States until Dec 30. I can recommend them

Dave miller
23rd December 2010, 11:45 AM
R.I.P. Kodachrome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog/2010/12/end_of_the_line_for_kodachrome.html

Mark-NY
23rd December 2010, 01:25 PM
As mentioned by Stan: Anyone with processing still to be done, film needs to be at Dwayne's lab by noon Dec 30 !!!

I have an express mailing envelope ready to send off after the last roll is shot over the weekend.

StanW
23rd December 2010, 07:49 PM
R I P indeed. I'm waiting on my last film now.

cliveh
23rd December 2010, 08:17 PM
If I ever win the lottery, my first task will be to restart Kodachrome.

cliveh
23rd December 2010, 08:35 PM
Actually, a combination of Autochrome and Kodachrome may be a better project.

MartyNL
23rd December 2010, 09:59 PM
If I ever win the lottery, my first task will be to restart Kodachrome.

And I'll be the first to place an order!:D

Dave miller
30th December 2010, 08:03 AM
I picked up this link from the Pure-Silver site and thought it of interest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPvF1MOU2kE

Richard Gould
30th December 2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the Link,Dave, enjoyed looking, it is a sad day, When I shot a lot of colour Kodachrome was always my film of choice, there was just a huge differance between kodachrome and any other colour film,R.I.P. Kodachrome,Richard

marty
30th December 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm not a Kodachrome user, but, as a film devote, a fan definitely yes. And not the only one looks like. Have a look at this: http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674
someone who looks committed to try restarting k-14. Hat off and best of luck to the initiative.

Cheers, M.

Richard Gould
30th December 2010, 01:24 PM
Best of luck to them, but it will be a massive project to revive kodachrome, then again, nobody thought that poloriod could come back from the dead, so who knows,? if the interest is there,Richard

cliveh
30th December 2010, 11:34 PM
http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2010/12/30/Paul-Simons-Kodachrome-lament-comes-true/UPI-19811293739362/

Dave miller
31st December 2010, 07:55 AM
I'm not a Kodachrome user, but, as a film devote, a fan definitely yes. And not the only one looks like. Have a look at this: http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674
someone who looks committed to try restarting k-14. Hat off and best of luck to the initiative.

Cheers, M.

I wonder how many undeveloped rolls of Kodachrome remain, enough to make this viable?

marty
31st December 2010, 10:00 AM
I've no idea, Dave. Lurking around forums looks like more than a couple of enthusiasts stashed the film and were stating than time was running out before the film itself. Then some pro might still have some forgotten in the freezer. Some unsold stock... How much all this can sum up again I don't know. It makes me sad that it's going to become just memorabilia, sold for silly prices on the "bay". Time will tell us...

Cheers, M.

DaveP
31st December 2010, 10:03 AM
I doubt its viable really. However the passion that people seem to show for an elderly and relatively (these days) unpopular product like kodachrome makes me feel pretty comfortable about the future of E6 film for the future.

marty
1st January 2011, 06:00 PM
For the sake of curiosity I followed the thread at KC-project, and lo and behold popped out info on KC film and chems composition from somewhat reputable source. Now I won't hold my breath, but I see real interest and won't be surprised if someone would start cuddling the idea of coating a comparable version of KC. Then of course is to be seen what happens if the news hits the Big Yellow ears.

Cheers, M.

Mark-NY
1st February 2011, 11:48 AM
I have just received my K64 back from Dwayne's. Apparently there were quite a few rolls delivered to them at year's end which created a huge backlog to process. Anyway, the processing on my film was perfect.

This was the first [and last :(] roll of Kodachrome I have shot since sometime in the 1970s and all I can say is it is just sublime. It is funny how I never thought much about it or how special it was years ago... now that I have seen it again in the "modern era" I must say that it makes me want to give up film [hyperbole] as there will never be anything this good again :mad:.

Now I just hope the same does not happen to E6 films and processing. I will definitely be shooting a higher percentage of transparency films in the future -- I think I will even start taking family snapshots with 35mm slide film in addition to the rolls of 120 I shoot. I encourage everyone else to do the same as there is really nothing to match the qualities in color slides !!!

Jack Lusted
1st February 2011, 12:36 PM
Just so, Mark.
I've started using colour-slide film again for family snaps. Really is great fun and the kids just love the whole screen and projector stuff.

Am currently most impressed with Ektachrome E100g.

DavidH
1st February 2011, 02:59 PM
I still have some Kodachrome standard 8 cine film and wondered about using one and trying to develop it in B&W. Has anyone tried this?
I ask because I recently rediscovered a kit I bought about 20 years ago for reverse developing films such as FP4. It's in powder form, so it's just possible it might still be usable. Splitting the film afterwards is something I need to give a little thought to.

topoxforddoc
1st February 2011, 11:49 PM
The KLab project on the kodachromeproject forum will only process 35mm and not cine. All the information has been released by Kodak when the patent was opened up many years ago.
I got my last rolls of kodachrome back from Dwayne's last week. I still have about 15 rolls, which I didn't manage to shoot. It's a really stable emulsion, so there's plenty of time for the guys to see if they can work it out.
The real thing about kodachrome was its unique colour palette and its archival qualities as it is really a silver emulsion with colour added later.

Oh, by the way, can we post scans of kodachrome slides in the Gallery or is that verboten?

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk

Dave miller
2nd February 2011, 08:01 AM
SNIP!

Oh, by the way, can we post scans of kodachrome slides in the Gallery or is that verboten?

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk (http://www.charlie-chan.co.uk)

Of course. :)

Rob Archer
2nd February 2011, 07:36 PM
Our local boots still has a couple of rolls! I asked if I could have them free as it's no longer possible to get them processed, just for a keepsake of good memories, but they said I'd have to buy them - at £12.99 each! One girl told me the shop's in-hose processor could do them!!! I wish

Rob

Rob

cliveh
2nd February 2011, 08:03 PM
Our local boots still has a couple of rolls! I asked if I could have them free as it's no longer possible to get them processed, just for a keepsake of good memories, but they said I'd have to buy them - at £12.99 each! One girl told me the shop's in-hose processor could do them!!! I wish

Rob

Rob

I happened to visit a major Boots store about a couple of months before the processing deadline and noticed they had 2 kodachrome films they were selling off at something like £2.99, reduced as end of stock. I bought both, but was on my hands and knees to see if any others had dropped behind the stand.