PDA

View Full Version : olympus om

jonsparkes
23rd January 2011, 11:13 AM
Well, I wasn't planning on buying an olympus slr but! I've been given a T32 flash and a zuiko 28mm lens, would seem rude not to hunt ebay for an olympus now.

RH Designs
23rd January 2011, 11:31 AM
I'd go for an OM-1n or OM-2n, the classic OMs. Ffordes (http://www.ffordes.com/category/Cameras/35mm_Film_SLR/Olympus/OM_Cameras) have plenty if you want a guarantee as well. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Dave miller
23rd January 2011, 11:33 AM
Excellent cameras, the single digit models have the better build quality.

Richard Gould
23rd January 2011, 12:22 PM
Jon, if you go for the olympus then go for the om1 or om2, great cameras with great build quality,Richard

vanannan
23rd January 2011, 12:23 PM
Hi
I purchased an OM4 from Ffordes a few months ago as I needed a lightweight slr for a trip to Peru, cost me about £100 inc guarantee, could not find one on Ebay cheaper (without guarantee of course), I find it is always worth visiting Ffordes website before purchasing on Ebay as their prices are often better than Ebay prices and always include a guarantee and their service is excellent.

Adrian Twiss
23rd January 2011, 02:10 PM
I can recommend Ffordes. Excellent service and really accurate descriptions. They sold me a 240mm APO Ronar as "sold as seen" with an old Compur shutter. It was in really good condition. A bargain at £199. I also picked up a nifty Shen Hao 6x9/6x12 back for £99.

Paulie
23rd January 2011, 02:26 PM
Brilliant cameras, very compact and the lenses are also. I have an old OM2SP that I love. The OM2SP and OM4 are apparently not as reliable as the OM1 and OM2 but I always liked the spot metering function of the SP, it's so simple to use.

RH Designs
23rd January 2011, 05:07 PM
The 2SP and the 4 can suffer from high battery consumption; I have one of each and the 2SP eats batteries but the 4 is fine. Mind you compared to the auto-everything bricks neither is particularly hungry and the SR44 cells are cheap enough.

Some OM-4s have the later 4Ti circuit boards fitted to cure the problem, you can tell by the battery check mode. If the beep stops after 30 sec, it's a 4Ti board.

The rare OM-3, OM-4 and 4Ti have a marvellous multi-spot metering system - it inspired our original Analyser!

Ian Marsh
23rd January 2011, 05:14 PM
Buy the ON2 (or OM4) as opposed to the OM1 if you want to get the full use from the T32 as it has off the film metering and full synchronisation with this flash unit

Dave miller
23rd January 2011, 07:10 PM
Buy the ON2 (or OM4) as opposed to the OM1 if you want to get the full use from the T32 as it has off the film metering and full synchronisation with this flash unit

Does the T32 work with the OM2?
I think the flash unit I had with my OM2 was a 310 and that the T32 was introduced with the OM4. The T32 may well be backwards comparable though.

Richard Gould
23rd January 2011, 07:23 PM
I think that the T32 was introuduced with the OM2n, I had one of these soon after they were introduced and bought the T32 flash to go with the camera, and selling the camera was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, still have some slides that I took with it, beautiful, but at the time funds were tight,Richard

Dave miller
23rd January 2011, 07:39 PM
I think that the T32 was introuduced with the OM2n, I had one of these soon after they were introduced and bought the T32 flash to go with the camera, and selling the camera was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, still have some slides that I took with it, beautiful, but at the time funds were tight,Richard

You are right Richard, I had an OM2 and 310 flash gun. Some details here (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/flash/t32flash/t32b.htm) of the various OM flash guns that may be of interest. Incidentally my OM gear got sold for exactly the same reason - lack of money.

RH Designs
23rd January 2011, 07:45 PM
The T32 works with the OM-2n and later for full auto TTL flash.

Xpres
23rd January 2011, 08:12 PM
I have an OM2n for sale...£60 posted. I have several OMs that came with lenses I've hunted down over the last few years. I should put them all on ebay, but never get around to it. I'll check it over and change the light seals if you, or anyone else, is interested.

Rob Archer
23rd January 2011, 09:19 PM
I use OMs a lot. I have a T32 flash which works very well with the OM2n. The light to tell the flash is charged in the viewfinder is handy. The flash will also work with the OM1 but in manual mode only. The OM1 is my favourite camera. It's totally manual except for the meter, which requires the old mercury-type cells. (PX625) The modern replacements are a slightly different voltage and the meter won't be accurate. I've had one of mine modified to take 2 AG13 batteries. The OMs, particularly the 1 & 2 are superb cameras, very small and light, and once you get used to their quirks will serve you well. It took me a long time to get used to the shutter speed dial being round the lens mount, but I can't stand cameras with it on the top now!

Rob

Ian Marsh
24th January 2011, 10:15 AM
The rear control panel is reversible on T32. There is a small button on the bottom right. it releases the panel which when inseted the other way give auto, the panel says "full - automatic control by OM-2"

AlanJones
14th March 2011, 03:57 PM
The T32 flashgun actually came out for the OM2N and it is listed in the instruction book for auto mode and it does this very well. Same is true for the ring flash T10 also. I have both these models. When used in the manual mode T32 will work with the older OM2.

Alan Jones
Cambridge

MikeF
24th July 2011, 03:50 AM
Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon you position) Olympus OM's have not held their value as well as some others. I recently purchased a OM 50 1.4 lens for a proper amount and along with it came a very decent OM1 body which seemed free considering what I paid so yes get one.