PDA

View Full Version : Scratched lens - is it repairable?

Rob Archer
28th January 2011, 08:51 PM
I've recently come by a Zuiko 28-48 f1:4 zoom lens. (for Olympus OM system) It's in excellent condition except that the front lens element is scratched. It's not deep, but the coating is damaged. What I want to know is: 1) is it repairable?, 2) Where can I get it done? and, 3) Is it financially viable? I got the lens free, incidentally!

I've heard good things about this lens, but my tests show low contrast a lot of flare, presumably caused by the scratches. Any ideas?

Rob

Mike O'Pray
28th January 2011, 09:06 PM
Rob hopefully someone will have the necessary knowledge to say what the cost might be but I'd be amazed if it can be fully repaired at less than the cost of a secondhand OK lens.

I hope I am wrong.

Mike

Bill
28th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Sorry Rob, can't help with cost but the old trick that was always worth trying is to fill the scratch with matt black paint as long as it is not too big. I have done this on a 28 mm Zuicko and it seems to work.

Bill

Nabhar
28th January 2011, 09:23 PM
Your post reminds me of when I was once told that a front lens flaw was not as critical as a rear lens flaw. I don't know if it's true or not, and I'm sorry to say that I can't offer any help with lens repairs but, I hope you get something out of it.

jp

Phil
29th January 2011, 05:29 AM
Rob - Is it a massive scratch? Maybe the low-contrast is being caused by something else inside the lens??
I can say that the old black touch-up trick works. You obviously have to be careful though.
A water-based marker (not spirit-based . . you'll never get it off if you make a mistake) should do the trick. Staedtler make a good water-based Lumocolor with a wedge tip, that is perfect (it's the non-permanent, Broad 312).
I did it on a Pentax lens when I had the 67, and it was fine.
To be honest front elements seem almost impervious to stuff like this, and as said by Nabhar, the rear element is more critical.
I've read that aerial camera lenses that received shrapnel damage during WWII were regularly touched-up with black paint, to no detriment :D
Oh and you might struggle to find the pen (Rymans and Smiths don't stock them), so I can recommend these guys
http://www.cultpens.com/
Phil

Richard Gould
29th January 2011, 07:31 AM
I have used lenses with scratches and marks on the front element without detriment,I have several, a couple attached to cameras, and to me it doesn't make any difference, so could the low contrast and flare be caused by internal problems?, You possibly could get the lens repaired and recoated, but it could prove expensive, and you could probably buy a good S/H one for the price, but why not use it, a low contrast,slightly soft lens can produce some lovely photographs,I have a camera with a lens that produces very sharp but slightly soft images and they can be quite beautiful,Try it,Richard

Rob Archer
29th January 2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks folks. I've heard of the trick with a pen before, but never tried it. It's not one big scratch, but a lot of small abrasions. I suspect soemone has tried to clean it with a rough cloth at some time. I've looked again at the test negatives and it appears that flare is the problem. Contrast is pretty normal whan the light source is behind the camera. I guess the trick will be to avoid backlit shots!

As I said, the lens cost me nothing, so I'm not too bothered. I'm not a great fan of zoom lenses anyway, but this is such a neat lens It would be handy if I want to travel light.

Rob

Michael
29th January 2011, 08:41 PM
Oh dear. I was going to suggest asking Balham Optical - but look at this (http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6120).

Dave miller
30th January 2011, 07:11 AM
Oh dear. I was going to suggest asking Balham Optical - but look at this (http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6120).

Their demise was reported here last October, the unsubstantiated report you refer to is rather sad if it proves to be correct.