PDA

View Full Version : WTB B&W 35mm darkroom

kennethcooke
16th December 2008, 11:03 PM
having not done my own processing for 30 odd years I want to get my hands wet again. I am looking for any redundant equipment out there and I would be more than willing to make a small donation to the donors charity. I know Yorkshiremen are supposed to be canny with money but I am happy to part with some for the right complete darkroom including enlarger

Thanking you in anticipation

Mike O'Pray
16th December 2008, 11:16 PM
Kenneth. We've grown a lot here on FADU in a matter of only a few months but I suspect that most of us only have the equipment we need or think we do.

I think the real treasure chest is out there on e-bay from those converted to digital and a reasonable darkroom can be built up more cheaply than has been possible in the past. However I am sceptical about all these "free enlargers" and other equipment that seem to exist.

I have never seen any enlargers for free. All those on e-bay do sell albeit for very low prices. Only those whose reserves are unrealistic fail to get any bids.

It won't cost much by even recent standards but free for a small donation may be a little optimistic.

Best of luck however.

Mike

Martin Aislabie
18th December 2008, 06:54 PM
Kenneth, if you search EBay, the enlargers which are collect only and are not located in London/Home Counties seem to be better value for money.

Patience seems to be the key to getting a good deal

Martin

photomi7ch
5th January 2009, 07:54 PM
having not done my own processing for 30 odd years I want to get my hands wet again. I am looking for any redundant equipment out there and I would be more than willing to make a small donation to the donors charity. I know Yorkshiremen are supposed to be canny with money but I am happy to part with some for the right complete darkroom including enlarger

Thanking you in anticipation

Are you still looking. Ive just seen an add for a complete darkroom. hold on its a colour enlarger.

Mitch

Bob
5th January 2009, 08:02 PM
Are you still looking. Ive just seen an add for a complete darkroom. hold on its a colour enlarger.

MitchColour enlarger is good - saves you buying Multigrade filters - you use the colour-head to do the filtering.

photomi7ch
7th January 2009, 06:59 PM
The ad reads in short:

Kaiser colour up to 6x7, schneider 50mm f2.8, de vere sink, dishes,graduates, books etc, all mint condition. £390. tel Paul 020 8577 3967

Not sure if he still has it, but I know he has had trouble selling it.

kennethcooke
11th January 2009, 05:31 PM
The ad reads in short:

Kaiser colour up to 6x7, schneider 50mm f2.8, de vere sink, dishes,graduates, books etc, all mint condition. £390. tel Paul 020 8577 3967

Not sure if he still has it, but I know he has had trouble selling it.

Thank you, and yes, I am still interested in buying a s/hand enlarger and all the other ancillary bits and pieces. I did notice a SH Leitz Focomat V35 AF for sale which I am quite tempted by from Nova http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/651/SH_Leitz_Focomat_V35_AF.html I don't know what you think?

Trevor Crone
11th January 2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you, and yes, I am still interested in buying a s/hand enlarger and all the other ancillary bits and pieces. I did notice a SH Leitz Focomat V35 AF for sale which I am quite tempted by from Nova http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/651/SH_Leitz_Focomat_V35_AF.html I don't know what you think?

Kenneth, a friend of mine had this enlarger, he would use nothing else but Leica equipment and he produced stunning 16"x20" prints from his 35mm negatives.

Sadly he died a few years back and I often wonder what happened to all those wonderful prints. At least I have two of his photographs which he gave me.

Bob
11th January 2009, 07:04 PM
More or less complete darkroom setups sell on ebay.co.uk for under a hundred quid on a regular basis (though they rarely include a sink!). Of course, some idea of what you are buying helps to avoid buying a complete pup so if you see anything interesting, feel free ask here.

PMarkey
11th January 2009, 07:45 PM
I would have to agree with Bob ,
I sorted my darkroom out via Ebay for a total of less than £150 . There is a complete darkroom for sale on Ebay at the moment that includes everything plus a chinon C4 camera with power wind and gadget bag for £95 Buy It Now :eek: The only downside is the seller is in Staffordshire but thats not that far away from you .

Paul

Argentum
11th January 2009, 08:13 PM

If you get a good one which is in alignment then they are very good enlargers. But if you get one which is out of alignment, then they can be a real bugger to put straight.

I'm assuming that you only want to do 35mm film as that is all that enlarger will do. And if you are not printing on bigger than say 12x16 paper, then virtually any small enalrger will work for you. The durst M670 was their last enlarger and will print upto 6x7 negs if it has all its bits. The Durst Modular 70 is a slightly bigger enlarger allowing 20x24 prints on the baseboard. The modular 70 had various heads, a colour one, a vario head for B+W only but made dialling contrast grades very simple. And also a condensor head. Its a very good enlarger. The durst M805 is really for 6x9 negs but is a pro level enlarger. An l120 is for 4x5 and is a big heavy beast.
Also the level of automation you want is to be considered. For example an M805 had a head with a puck for measuring neg contrast and would set filters automatically.
There is also a the Heiland splitgrade head which automates things and will fit to most durst enlargers and a lot of others too.
So you really need to decide what type of enlarger you want, diffusion or condensor and the level of automation or not and what print technique you want to use (normal, fstop or splitgrade) before making a decision about which to buy.

kennethcooke
12th January 2009, 08:22 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I guess I am procrastinating really if the truth were known. I have a large dry cellar where I do a little cabinetmaking and furniture restoration which would double as a darkroom but I have not been down there since before Christmas. I sort of get these ideas that if I had this or that I might do something but I guess I am a little lazy. Then I read that H.Cartier- Bresson never processed his own pictures and I then have another excuse for not proceeding

kennethcooke
13th January 2009, 09:45 PM
Ok- I will proceed. I suggested a Leitz enlarger because I use Leica camera equipment. It only needs to be for 35mm B&W and obviously the lens is paramount. I take the point raised about Nova. I contacted Ian at Nova and he was very helpful.

Question One-Your comments on other enlargers are interesting and from the Nova site which would fit my needs and offer the best features and?

Question Two- Do I do my own developing or should I have negs and a contact sheet produced by a lab?

Sorry to appear so dumb but it is nearly 30 years since I had my hands wet and technology might have moved on since then. I may well be back with other questions, if you all do not mind, but I guess that is it for now- thank you in anticipation

Argentum
13th January 2009, 10:36 PM
From the Nova site then the Focomat is probably the best one. The Durst M370 is only good for smaller prints on max paper size 12x16 and with an easel, that means approx max image size of 12x8 but if that is big enough for you then its fine. The version they have is a condesor enlarger.
The focomat can do bigger and is better quality as the m370 is an entry level enlarger. The Durst800 is bigger than you need. The 707 is good and wil do upto 6x7 negs but is quite old.
I don't rate meopta enlargers. They work OK but are a bit agricultural by comparison with a good durst or the focomat. I don't rate LPL enlargers.
Don't know too much about DeVere but I think that is an old one.

So if you can get some guarantees about the focomat being straight (not bent) and everything on it working flawlessly, then its very good kit. Otherwise, the M370 is OK but limited max print size but that may not be a problem. But you can pick up M370 for half that price or less on ebay. Infact for that money you could easily get an M670 in tip top condition from ebay giving you the option of upto 6x7 if you ever need it. But not with autofocus like the V35.

Doing your own developing is simple and will give you better control and quality than you will get from most labs these days.

kennethcooke
14th January 2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you Rob- Very useful information. My gut feeling is to go with the Letiz as they show 4 s/hand ones in stock all with lenses and all £395.00. I copied and pasted the check list that they sent me which I guess could be trimmed

A base kit for processing b+w negatives would consist of the following:

Developing tank (Paterson tank comes with one developing reel)

Changing bag

Film cassette opener

Measuring cylinder (Sometimes more than one required)

Timer (Not always necessary)

Thermometer

Developer chemical

Stop chemical

Fixer chemical

Negative squeegee

Wash Aid chemical

Film clips

Approx of £150.

A printing kit would need the following

Enlarger

Timer

Paper

Safelight

Test strip printer

Developing trays

Same chemicals as above

Print tongs

Clock

Thermometer

Film washer

Dependant on which enlarger you purchased I would say this is approx of £700 (Based on an enlarger of approx £500)

You can use one of our slot processors if space is a major issue, combined with a print washer.

I may have missed the odd item and you can always purchase extras but this is a concise list to get you started, I hope it is useful,

Argentum
14th January 2009, 06:28 PM
don't forget some sleeves to put your negatives in. The paper ones are better as negatives will stick to the see through ones and ruin the negative when you try and get it out.

You don't need test strip printer as a piece of card is quicker and just as good.
You don't need film washer as you wash in dev tank.
Don't get film squeegee as they scratch film.
Get a second reel for paterson tank.
I think they meant print washer and not film washer.

3 measuring graduates makes life easy. 50ml, 150ml and 300ml.

A 2 litre jug and stirring rod for mixing up powdered chemicals is a must.
Also some 1 litre storage bottles for holding stock developer mixed from powder chemicals unless you are using dev which is already liquid and bottled.

focus magnifier. Any is good including the cheap paterson ones.

Enlarging lens? Enlarger may or may not have one. 50mm is normal for 35mm film 40mm is wide angle for 35mm film and allows bigger prints or lower head height or both.

Argentum
14th January 2009, 06:46 PM
If you want contact prints, then a sheet of glass which covers the paper is required. Any glass will do but the at least 3mm will be less likely to break.

There are special contact printing frames but they are a pain to load and unload and waste time in the darkroom. Just placing film strips on paper and placing a sheet of glass over them is easier and quicker.

kennethcooke
14th January 2009, 06:56 PM
This information is so valuable and yes Rob, it does come with a 50mm Leitz lens.

Martin Aislabie
15th January 2009, 06:24 PM
This information is so valuable and yes Rob, it does come with a 50mm Leitz lens.

Kenneth, don't V35s come with a 45mm Lens as standard?

I know some people have re-lensed their enlargers but that was out of necessity

Martin

Argentum
15th January 2009, 06:34 PM
The one he's looking at the nova site says it's a 40mm lens. I think the lens has to be the correct focal length for the auto focus to work as its cammed for that particular lens.

The following link has some details:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

kennethcooke
15th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Rob

Having pondered the suggested purchase of an enlarger. I don't see the point in buying a colour enlarger as I will only ever want to produce 35mm B&W prints so I believe it would make more sense to wait until I unearth a spectacular 35mm B&W only enlarger and buy a really super high quality lens as really a B&W enlarger is just a box with a light and a means of focusing. What do you think?

kennethcooke
15th January 2009, 07:19 PM
Kenneth, don't V35s come with a 45mm Lens as standard?

I know some people have re-lensed their enlargers but that was out of necessity

Martin

Martin- My mistake it comes with a 40mm lens but please read my post above and tell me what you think

André.E.C.
15th January 2009, 07:23 PM
Just my 2 cents, Kenneth!:)

Developing tank (Paterson tank comes with one developing reel)

Changing bag (You really don't need this I think)

Film cassette opener

Measuring cylinder (Sometimes more than one required)

Timer (Not always necessary) (I think a timer is important)

Thermometer

Developer chemical

Stop chemical

Fixer chemical

Negative squeegee (don't hurt your precious negs;))

Wash Aid chemical (Helpfull, but not a must if you aren't toning or printing FB)

Film clips

Approx of £150.

A printing kit would need the following

Enlarger

Timer

Paper

Safelight

Test strip printer (A luxury, you can do without)

Developing trays

Same chemicals as above

Print tongs

Clock

Thermometer

Film washer (are you sure?)

photomi7ch
15th January 2009, 07:25 PM
Rob

Having pondered the suggested purchase of an enlarger. I don't see the point in buying a colour enlarger as I will only ever want to produce 35mm B&W prints so I believe it would make more sense to wait until I unearth a spectacular 35mm B&W only enlarger and buy a really super high quality lens as really a B&W enlarger is just a box with a light and a means of focusing. What do you think?

The colour enlarger will allow you to use multi grade papers with out having to put filters in to change the grades.

Trevor Crone
15th January 2009, 07:29 PM

A colour enlarger will be useful if you start printing on VC papers. I know you can buy under lens filters or filters to fit in the draw of b&w enlargers but I don't think you can beat the dial-in approach.

Mitch beat me to it;-)

Argentum
15th January 2009, 08:45 PM
Rob

Any enlarger is capable of producing quality B&W prints. The biggest limitations are the printer themselves followed by being able to get the enlarger aligned properly followed lastly by the lens. Using a super duper latest state of the art lens will make bugger all difference if you don't know what you are doing.

Focomat is a good enlarger. But then so is a Durst L1200. It's just a hell of a lot bigger. And if you want to print on VC paper then you need filters. So happens a colour head already has them in it. You just don't need the cyan filter and only use the Yellow and Magenta filters.

kennethcooke
15th January 2009, 10:20 PM
I noticed this on ebay I don't know what you think http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Durst-M605-Colour-B-W-Enlarger-Complete-Print-Kit_W0QQitemZ250357475354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pho tography_DarkroomSupplies_SM?hash=item250357475354&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C 240%3A1318

Argentum
15th January 2009, 11:48 PM
Looks OK. There is a slso an M670 or two and one of them has the B&W head.

You might find the following PDF useful which details the last of the Durst enlargers.

www.darkroom.ru/info/brochures/durst_enlargers/consumer_e.pdf

note that the M670 and Modular 70 and up were very modular. The M670 and Modular 70 were very similar but the Modular 70 could do bigger prints, upto 20x24. The M605 is an older version but similar to an M670.

Also if you are near to Leeds then you should know that the Durst UK service centre is at Farsley. Speak to Terry as he sells second hand Durst kit. I got my L1200 from him.
You could go and look before before you buy.

Northern Photo
38 Town Street
Farsley
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS28 5LD

Tel: 0113 255 9680

Bob
16th January 2009, 12:27 AM
I noticed this on ebay I don't know what you think http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Durst-M605-Colour-B-W-Enlarger-Complete-Print-Kit_W0QQitemZ250357475354QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pho tography_DarkroomSupplies_SM?hash=item250357475354&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C 240%3A1318 A useful starter kit (some extra bits needed but not too difficult to add them). More importantly the enlarger comes with all the bits such as 35mm negative carriers and a decent lens (at least, the Neonon has a good reputation - I've never had one myself). It is missing 6x6 negative carriers which may or may not be a problem for you depending if you intend using MF.

The BIN price seems a trifle high - a similar enlarger failed to attract any bids at £175 recently (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DURST-M605-ENLARGER-28yrs-old-BLACK-WHITE-COLOUR_W0QQitemZ140291569448QQihZ004QQcategoryZ299 87QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). You may be prepared to pay the extra to get started quickly, but that is your choice - I would not go above £150 and would hope a dearth of bids would keep the final price below that... Remember on ebay there are no warranties so you should expect to pay substantially less than you would if buying from a commercial outfit.

kennethcooke
16th January 2009, 07:22 PM
www.darkroom.ru/info/brochures/durst_enlargers/consumer_e.pdf[/url]

Also if you are near to Leeds then you should know that the Durst UK service centre is at Farsley. Speak to Terry as he sells second hand Durst kit. I got my L1200 from him.
You could go and look before before you buy.

Northern Photo
38 Town Street
Farsley
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS28 5LD

Tel: 0113 255 9680

Thats amasing Rob, I live in calverley which is about 3/4 mile from Farsley. I will indeed speak to Terry- Thank you

kennethcooke
17th January 2009, 10:51 PM
Rob- Thank you for your PM. I will post the outcome of my decision on here and thank you all once again for your guidance and support. Maybe the Moderator could use one or two of the posts on this thread as stickies, I am thinking in particular of the check lists that members have gone to the trouble of posting, I am sure they would be a valuable resource to anyone like myself who is wishing to explore setting up a darkroom

kennethcooke
27th January 2009, 07:28 PM
You'll go blind if you spend your time looking at those pics...:D

On a slightly different note I picked up my Durst M670 today complete with 50 mm Rodigon 2.8 lens, a transformer, timer and two safelights all mint condition £150. Terry is a really nice chap and very helpful. Thank you once again for connecting me with him. Does he have a link of our links side. If not he should have he was a real find