PDA

View Full Version : Powder fixers?

Miha
14th February 2011, 05:45 PM
I know they are useful for some processes, but I wonder is anyone using powder fixers on a regular basis and why?

Mike O'Pray
14th February 2011, 09:44 PM
Not me. For normal fixing I can stand the smell of the liquid rapid fixers.

Mike

Neil Smith
15th February 2011, 12:45 AM
The only powder fixer I have used is Peter Hogans Alkali Fix, which I used to complement the Prescysol developers he sells.

Neil

Dave miller
15th February 2011, 08:17 AM
I keep a few tubs of powdered fixer in stock just as I have a few packets of powdered developer as well for emergency supplies.
If postal costs are a consideration then they are much more economical than paying to ship water around the planet.

Miha
15th February 2011, 10:07 AM
If postal costs are a consideration then they are much more economical than paying to ship water around the planet.
They are sometimes and I've been playing with the idea of going fully powder for some time now.

There are excellent print developers available in powder form (Bromophen or Separol) but powder fixers have been greatly replaced by ammonium liquids in the last two decades so there is little data availble on them.

Dave miller
15th February 2011, 11:18 AM
They are sometimes and I've been playing with the idea of going fully powder for some time now.

There are excellent print developers available in powder form (Bromophen or Separol) but powder fixers have been greatly replaced by ammonium liquids in the last two decades so there is little data availble on them.

Silverprint list several. http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=522

Miha
15th February 2011, 11:58 AM
Silverprint list several. http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=522

Silverprint don't ship chemistry abroad, but that's not a problem since I can get TT Vario Fix locally.

The problem I see is that I have no knowledge of how long must I fix "modern" papers, like Ilford FB, using two baths.

kev curry
15th February 2011, 04:01 PM
TF 2 fixer

http://www.jackspcs.com/tf2.htm

Miha
15th February 2011, 08:55 PM
TF 2 fixer

http://www.jackspcs.com/tf2.htm

I'm aware of this (classic) formula, though it gives no times for paper. Can you perhaps share your user experience with it Kev?

Another one is TF-3 which must be very close to Peter Hogan's Alkaline fixer.

kev curry
15th February 2011, 09:52 PM
I dont have any experience with TF-2 but i'm just about to order up the chems. I'm interested in using it with pyro negs to see how it gets on with the stain. The Sodium Thioslfate in TF-2 is also much cheaper than the Ammonium Thiosulfate found in TF-3.

I also like the fact of the much shorter washing times.

Phil
16th February 2011, 09:05 AM
I mixed some TF-2 but didn't like it.
I prefer Lloyd Erlick's Plain Fix
http://www.heylloyd.com/technicl/plain.htm
which is cheap, very easy to mix and has a very good capacity for prints, though be warned it is a leisurely process :D
Steve Anchell casts doubt on Sodium Thiosulphate fixers' ability to fix modern photographic materials in the Film Developing Cookbook
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=lzAKYgLtTd4C&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=anchell+alkali+fixer+bromide&source=bl&ots=BhXarKkRyK&sig=HDDveOeQ1_trvSHLtBt_5v18Bio&hl=en&ei=_pFbTY3DKoHKhAfknISTDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
That being said I haven't had any staining etc (so far) on any of the prints I have fixed with Plain Fix. I have never used it for film though . . . life is rather too short :D
Phil

Miha
16th February 2011, 12:12 PM
I mixed some TF-2 but didn't like it.
I prefer Lloyd Erlick's Plain Fix
http://www.heylloyd.com/technicl/plain.htm
which is cheap, very easy to mix and has a very good capacity for prints, though be warned it is a leisurely process :DPhil

Phil, thanks for the link - just what I was looking for!:)

Phil
16th February 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Miha - hope it works for you - as I say, I like it, though it can take in inordinate amount of time to fix one print as I generally use it in 2 baths :eek: that being said you don't need to worry about hypoclear and washing is shorter, so it's swings and roundabouts.
The reason I didn't get on with TF-2 was because it just didn't seem to work as well for me, or have the same longevity.
Cheers
Phil

Miha
16th February 2011, 01:16 PM
Phil, I don't mind the time spent in the darkroom, and since I choose to print small (7x9.5 and smaller) I have space for several trays.:)

As for Anchell's doubts on Sodium in your previous post, I think it only refers to "modern" films and not to papers. Correct?

As I side not, did you ever test your prints for halides (unconverted silver) after the Plain fix?

Phil
16th February 2011, 02:33 PM
Phil, I don't mind the time spent in the darkroom, and since I choose to print small (7x9.5 and smaller) I have space for several trays.:)

As for Anchell's doubts on Sodium in your previous post, I think it only refers to "modern" films and not to papers. Correct?

As I side not, did you ever test your prints for halides (unconverted silver) after the Plain fix?

Hi Miha - yeah it is films he is commenting on.
As for testing, yes, I initially used Silverprint's Hypo testing kit (HT-2) on a couple of prints, and they were fine . . . so haven't done it since
Hope it works for you!
If you don't get on with it, you can always add some kodalk and make TF-2 :D
Phil

kev curry
16th February 2011, 02:40 PM
So Phil is Lloyd Erlick's Plain Fix an alkaline fix?

Phil
16th February 2011, 04:16 PM

Hi Kev - I'll use his terminology . . ."somewhat". The thinking is all in the article. It works very well.
Phil

kev curry
16th February 2011, 04:21 PM
OK Phil I guess I'll have to read rather than skim the article;-) Thanks for posting the formula.

Miha
16th February 2011, 04:21 PM
Hi Miha - yeah it is films he is commenting on.
As for testing, yes, I initially used Silverprint's Hypo testing kit (HT-2) on a couple of prints, and they were fine . . . so haven't done it since
Hope it works for you!
If you don't get on with it, you can always add some kodalk and make TF-2 :D
Phil

Thank you!:)

Phil
16th February 2011, 04:31 PM
No problem guys, and if you're having a look at Lloyd's site, check some of the other articles too - all very informative!
P

Stocky
17th February 2011, 11:33 PM

Probably close enough to neutral, maybe slightly alkaline.

It doesn't need to be strongly alkaline, just not acid.

(Actually I use a C-41 colour fixer that is just on the acid side of neutral, and only just, and it has the main advantage of alkaline fixers which for me is very low odour).

Bill Clark
13th March 2011, 07:58 PM
I like the powder fixers as I find that in powdered form they last, it seems like, forever. Correct me if I'm making an incorrect statement, I find the greatest advantage of liquid chemicals is that the solutions are already mixed, usually to "stock" dilution, ready to go.

However, if I see a sale on powdered stuff I can buy a wee bit more than I need knowing it will last for a long time if keep in the sealed packages. Here is the fixer I but in powdered form from Freestyle, located on the West Coast of the States:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4086-Arista-Premium-Odorless-Powder-Fixer-to-Make-1-Gallon-New?cat_id=303

Just my thoughts.

Adrian Twiss
14th March 2011, 07:45 AM
I dont have any experience with TF-2 but i'm just about to order up the chems. I'm interested in using it with pyro negs to see how it gets on with the stain. The Sodium Thioslfate in TF-2 is also much cheaper than the Ammonium Thiosulfate found in TF-3.

I also like the fact of the much shorter washing times.

From fresh the clearance time for TF2 is around 90 seconds. As it is less active than other fixers it is recommended that you fix for 3 times the clearing time. I also ensure total clearance by agitating constantly. With Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, Orwo and Adox films this works. The Jury is out on Foma films as I am still investigating mottling issues I have.