PDA

View Full Version : Print Finishing?

knikki
17th February 2011, 10:43 AM
This year I have finally got round to doing a Darkroom Printing Course at college.

I am now having some success in getting prints, the paper I am using as Adox MCP 312 Semi Matt (its a Resin Coated variable contrast paper) which I really like.

Now here is a problem.

My negs are not as clean as I thought :( and I notice on the prints little white areas, so looks like I am goinig to have to look at "spotting" to get rid of them.

So has any one used Spotting inks and any other ideas of how to remove these little white bits?

I have seen in Silverprint a range of DIAPHOTO inks which look like the thing I am after. Has anyone used these ink kits?

Neil Smith
17th February 2011, 11:08 AM
Do a search on spotting here and it will bring up quite a few threads where this has been discussed some very recently and you will find all the information you need and then some.

Neil

Trevor Crone
17th February 2011, 11:17 AM
The white marks on your negs are probably water drying marks and may polish off if on the upper surface. Try breathing on them and wiping gently with a microfibre cloth. If that dosen't work you could try resoaking them in a weak acid stop bath, this should dissolve the calcium deposits on the film. Wash well, then a final soak using a wetting agent, dry as normal.

topoxforddoc
27th February 2011, 12:53 AM
It's much harder to spot RC prints than FB ones. The Diaphoto inks are very good. I use Marshall ones as the Spotone dyes have been out of production for some years.

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk

cliveh
27th February 2011, 11:12 PM
This year I have finally got round to doing a Darkroom Printing Course at college.

I am now having some success in getting prints, the paper I am using as Adox MCP 312 Semi Matt (its a Resin Coated variable contrast paper) which I really like.

Now here is a problem.

My negs are not as clean as I thought :( and I notice on the prints little white areas, so looks like I am goinig to have to look at "spotting" to get rid of them.

So has any one used Spotting inks and any other ideas of how to remove these little white bits?

I have seen in Silverprint a range of DIAPHOTO inks which look like the thing I am after. Has anyone used these ink kits?

As Trevor mentions these maybe drying marks and if they are, then they can be removed by breathing on the shiny side of the neg (they only form there) and wiping with a soft lens cloth. However, if this doesn't work, try using a drop of ethanol on the lens cloth.