PDA

View Full Version : split grade printing

Ian Marsh
18th February 2011, 09:31 AM
I was wondering about split grade printing. Suppose I want to print most of the image at grade 3 but the sky at grade 4. Do I print the whole image first and then burn in the sky using grade 4, or mask the sky, print at 3 then expose the sky?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Dave miller
18th February 2011, 10:14 AM
We have an article about Split-grade printing HERE (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=967) that may be of help in answering your question.

David Brown
18th February 2011, 12:48 PM
Suppose I want to print most of the image at grade 3 but the sky at grade 4. Do I print the whole image first and then burn in the sky using grade 4, or mask the sky, print at 3 then expose the sky?

Maybe. ;)

It depends on the negative and what you need to do with that image. Burning or exposing a section of an image at a different grade is common and could be done either way you mention or a combination. It all depends. I know that is not an "answer", but there are too many variables not given in your question.

Also, do read Les McLean's article on split-grade printing. It describes a technique that is not what you are asking about, but it might be another alternative to what you could do with a problem negative. :)