PDA

View Full Version : N.Z. earthquake

StanW
23rd February 2011, 02:03 AM
Christchurch, about 500km north of my home has been struck by a major earthquake, with serious damage and a high death toll.
My area wasn't affected, and all is well here.

Adrian Holmes
23rd February 2011, 05:43 AM
Stan - so sorry to hear about your beautiful country's terrible news. Heartfelt commiserations from Oxfordshire, England. Our 'farthest neighbour' is that bit closer today. - Adrian

Richard S
23rd February 2011, 06:23 AM
Glad you missed it Stan.

Dave miller
23rd February 2011, 07:49 AM
I meant to ask but then saw from the map that you were well away from it. We are seeing terrible scenes from Christchurch on T.v.

Richard Gould
23rd February 2011, 08:19 AM
Terrible scenes from Christchurch, been looking at the news channels,but glad you are O.K.,Richard

Neil Smith
23rd February 2011, 08:25 AM
Awful thing, the scenes on the news were horrific, I'm glad you were unaffected.

Neil

B&W Neil
23rd February 2011, 09:15 AM
Glad you are OK Stan. I have been to Christchurch and it is a lovely place; hopefully this will be the last of the quakes and the people there and nearby can re-build their lives. My thoughts are with those who have lost family and friends.

Neil.

Mike O'Pray
23rd February 2011, 12:35 PM
I hadn't associated NZ with serious earthquake action until seeing this. Hopefully it will be the last one the present generation there will experience. Mercifully the big ones are usually many years apart.

No consolation for those who lost friends and relatives however

Mike

Neil Smith
23rd February 2011, 01:35 PM
I believe they have a huge amount of earthquakes a year, in fact I think its in the hundreds, could possibly be into the thousand mark, but most are small.

Neil

I hadn't associated NZ with serious earthquake action until seeing this. Hopefully it will be the last one the present generation there will experience. Mercifully the big ones are usually many years apart.

No consolation for those who lost friends and relatives however

Mike

cliveh
23rd February 2011, 03:46 PM
Stan, Glad to learn you are OK.

LaunchK
23rd February 2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Stan

An acquaintance of mine (and the next keynote speaker to visit Lancashire Monochrome) is Denis Thorpe. I'm sure many FADU members will know or know of him. He is currently visiting family in Christchurch and I'm naturally hoping that all are safe.

Keith

StanW
23rd February 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your messages, folks. Yes, NZ does suffer a number of quakes each year, but ones of this magnitude are rare. I'm afraid that CHristchurch will not look the same.

AndrewM
23rd February 2011, 10:24 PM
From a fellow Kiwi in London I'm glad to here your alright, Stan, and my thoughts are with the people of Canterbury.

NZ has loads of quakes usually quite small but this one was quite shallow and close to Christchurch. There was a bigger quake in September last year and there have been many aftershocks since then.

This website Geonet (http://www.geonet.org.nz/) shows information on the latest.