PDA

View Full Version : Funny story - Kodachrome

Matt5791
25th February 2011, 12:39 PM
Just had a call from the Kodak Distributor.

They have 532 rolls of Kodachrome 64 135-36 - wondered if I was interested............

(Dwaynes Lab in Kansas, the last lab in the world processing this film, processed the last roll of Kodachrome, ever, on 30 December 2010. It's impossible to process it in colour ever again)

Apparently the buyer no longer works there.

Tom Kershaw
25th February 2011, 12:53 PM
How did they manage to not sell 532 rolls? Most stores here seemed to be out of Kodachrome shortly after discontinuation notices appeared.

Tom

Matt5791
25th February 2011, 01:00 PM
It's unbelievable. If they were on the ball I would have received a phone call before processing ended.

The problem is many people in that company simply dont understand the products they are selling - they just go on cat numbers. And that's what happens.

Of course it can be processed as B&W, but people only do that when they have already exposed and forgotten to process - I dont think you would deliberately expose Kodachrome as B&W - you might aswell just use a B&W film.

I've offered to buy them in as a museum piece.

Tom Kershaw
25th February 2011, 01:03 PM
I've offered to buy them in as a museum piece.

Better that than being scrapped.

Tom

Dave miller
25th February 2011, 01:07 PM
I’m sure that they will fetch a premium on ebay.

MPerson
25th February 2011, 01:40 PM
Matt - buy them, freeze them and wait and see.

Mike O'Pray
25th February 2011, 05:28 PM
Matt, Dave has echoed my sentiments. Try e-bay sales just to see. It might be a useful income stream and on another site I have seen several talk about processing these in B&W.

Mike

DaveP
26th February 2011, 08:23 AM
I'm sure i saw a website of an impossible-project style kodachrome ressurection by ethusiasts.......i wouldn't hold your breath though.

marty
26th February 2011, 06:11 PM
I'm sure i saw a website of an impossible-project style kodachrome ressurection by ethusiasts.......i wouldn't hold your breath though.
Yep. There is a link in this thread (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3487). I'm not holding my breath either, but it's a good sign to see interest, isn't it?

Cheers, M.

Roger Cole
26th February 2011, 07:31 PM
That story is about reviving a "rescued" K-Lab, the minilab Kodak made for Kodachrome. Even if he pulls it off (pretty doubtful) it would still be limited to remaining rolls of film. Granted this OP could have a long term supply, but while making a K-14 style film shouldn't be as difficult as a conventional color film, one guy fooling around with a K-Lab, even if he gets it to work, isn't going to be enough for anyone to resume production.

Pity really. I shot 17 rolls of Kodachrome over 2010 after not having shot it since the 80s and I too learned again just how nice it is.

FilmAyrshire
2nd March 2011, 03:58 PM
There was a discussion on Film Photography Podacst about processing this for B&W using an additional bleaching process. Much too complicated for me but people are trying different processes.

Kind regards,

ft

Tom Kershaw
3rd March 2011, 11:39 AM
If it's an impossible project style resurrection, be prepared for over-priced, under-performing product, coupled with marketing hype and oh-so-kool people using it for oh-so-kool art.

Oh, and you'd better print the negs asap as the images will be faded to nothing within 6 months.

Possibly in a similar vain, I'm not convinced the Impossible Project and Lomography are particularly helpful for analogue photography as they have the potential to overshadow the high quality potential of modern photographic films and enlarger papers.

Tom