PDA

View Full Version : 5x4 FB paper?

Michael
15th March 2011, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know of a source for paper of this size? I got a nice old frame on eBay last year and would like to use it without having to cut down all the sheets I put into it.

I'm not too fussy about the paper type; but I'd prefer FB to RC.

Mike O'Pray
15th March 2011, 01:03 PM
When you say frame is this for one print or is this an album for many prints all of which have to be 5x4 to fit?

If it's the former then cutting one sheet of 5x7 may be the best route or using a 8x10 if that's your usual size.

If it is an album for 5x4 only then the best bet might be a Durst easel which allows you to print four 5x4s per sheet of 8x10 and all from different negs with small borders. Alternatively the Varioformat easel does the same job but borderless.

I don't know of any 5x4 FB or RC paper.

Mike

vanannan
15th March 2011, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know of a source for paper of this size? I got a nice old frame on eBay last year and would like to use it without having to cut down all the sheets I put into it.

I'm not too fussy about the paper type; but I'd prefer FB to RC.

Hi
I am assuming you mean a contact printing frame? If that is correct I do not understand why you have an issue with cutting down larger sheets, I do it all the time as I usually only have 20x16 paper in stock.

paulc
15th March 2011, 01:30 PM
Harman's direct positive paper is available in 5x4 as is the RC MGIV paper - SK# 1769818 - The down side is the box quantity of 1,000 sheets !

Ilford also do an RC MGIV Portfolio range in 4x6 (postcard), but as with standard FB sizes, you'd have to cut to size.

Michael
15th March 2011, 11:38 PM
Thank you all three.

It is a contact printing frame (sorry for misleading you, Mike); and I had heard about the RC paper. May end up getting that.

I'm just a bit lazy to be cutting down sheets in what isn't a proper darkroom. Never mind: it may come to it.

Mike O'Pray
15th March 2011, 11:50 PM
My fault really Michael. I should have been able to make the connection with frame and contact printing when you mentioned 5x4.

It is the old story of whether a good piece of kit eventually pays for itself and here I am thinking of a Rotatrim cutter. I don't have one and make do with taped plastic corners on my cutter to enable me to cut 10x8 into two 5 x 8 which I can then cut to 5x7 if need be.

It is a real pain but I don't have to do it often as I can buy 5x7. If I were cutting regularly and at different sizes then I'd seriously consider a Rotatrim.

Not cheap but nor's a Rolls Royce as Martin Reed aptly puts it when describing the Rotatrim :D

Mike

Michael
16th March 2011, 09:57 AM
Mike, I shall start considering a Rotatrim!

Adrian Twiss
16th March 2011, 10:01 AM
The Rotatrim is a superb piece of kit. I was lucky enough to get one secondhand for under £100. Great for paper but it is not suitable for cutting mount board.

Trevor Crone
16th March 2011, 10:20 AM
Hi Michael. I would certainly endorse the need for a decent Rotatrim, personally I would not be without one. I have a twin bar version and it cuts conservation board mounts with ease.

Ian David
17th March 2011, 06:51 AM
Hi Michael. I would certainly endorse the need for a decent Rotatrim, personally I would not be without one. I have a twin bar version and it cuts conservation board mounts with ease.

I'm with Trevor. Get yourself a double-bar Pro Rotatrim and you will never look back.

Ian