PDA

View Full Version : Schneider-kreuznach componon 1:5.6 60mm enlarging lens

MartyNL
14th April 2011, 07:13 PM
This appears to be a WA SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH COMPONON 1:5.6 60MM ENLARGING LENS judging by the second photo BUT it's not stated anywhere:confused:
If it is the WA then the buy it now price is great even with the addition of postage equivalent to 95pounds. The same lens is advertised at 195pounds secondhand elsewhere.

Enlarges upto 6x6 and seller says in like new condition.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330552376043&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cliveh
14th April 2011, 07:45 PM
If it looks too good to be true, it usually is. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Mike O'Pray
14th April 2011, 08:06 PM
If it has WA on the lens and it has as you have said, could it be anything else? If not then that is what it must be, surely? The seller has been a member since 2002, has a 100% record, isn't a power seller so not passing off a high volume of goods where the danger is that some items are not quite what they should be and seems to deal exclusively in photo items.

Everything points to the seller being reliable. You could always ask a question. I find that you can tell a lot from the way the response is worded.

Mike

vanannan
14th April 2011, 08:51 PM
Not a great price, I won a Rodenstock 60mm f4 W/A on Ebay last December, seller in Latvia, winning bid was in the region of £35 postage was only £4, condition shows signs of use, glass is excellent, the fact that I actually won it at auction demonstrates that demand is not great.

MartyNL
14th April 2011, 10:13 PM
Not a great price, I won a Rodenstock 60mm f4 W/A on Ebay last December, seller in Latvia, winning bid was in the region of £35 postage was only £4, condition shows signs of use, glass is excellent, the fact that I actually won it at auction demonstrates that demand is not great.

There's no doubt that you got a great deal and you're probably right about the demand.

But since you've got a similar lens, just curious what your opinion is of it?
Is it an excellent performer and what do you find to be the real advantage of the WA over the non-WA?
Surely it only really comes into it's own when wanting to make big enlargements?

vanannan
15th April 2011, 07:40 AM
There's no doubt that you got a great deal and you're probably right about the demand.

Is it an excellent performer and what do you find to be the real advantage of the WA over the non-WA?
Surely it only really comes into it's own when wanting to make big enlargements?

Hi Marty
You are correct in that only really comes into it's own when wanting to make big enlargements, I purchased the lens mainly because I have a Horizon panoramic camera which gives a 58mm x 24mm negative, my only option pre the purchase of the 60mm W/A would be to use a 75mm or 80mm lens would not allow me to comfortably enlarge to more than about 6 x 15 inches which is rather small for this format, the results I have had so far have been impressive and compare well to my Componon S lenses.

Martin Aislabie
15th April 2011, 11:55 AM
It is the Wide Angle version

Look at the 2nd picture - you can see the WA clearly marked

It looks to be in great nick

Martin

Tony Marlow
15th April 2011, 03:58 PM

I have the Rodagon 60mm WA lens and find it useful when I run out of column for the enlarger head. It also makes it easier to reach the focussing knob. I find it excellent and can't see any difference to the Schneider 80mm f4 Componon lens.

Tony