PDA

View Full Version : Tim Rudmans Thiocarbamide Dry Reducer.

vanannan
6th May 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi
I would like to try Tim Rudmans Thiocarbamide dry reducer as detailed in his book 'The Photographer's Master Printing Course', the formula given requires 2.3g of Iodine, can anyone tell me what form of Iodine this will be and where I can obtain some, I have purchased a bottle of Iodine from the local pharmacy, the active ingredients are Iodine 2.5% w/v, Potassium Iodide 2.5% w/v, also contains purified water and Ethanol 89% v/v, is it possible to utilise this?

Thank you.

big paul
6th May 2011, 03:20 PM
YES
A slice of lemon and ice.

Rob Archer
6th May 2011, 06:42 PM
I would mix it and try it on bit of waste film/paper and see if it works. I don't hink the ethanol will do much, but the pottassium iodide might. I'm no chemist, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Rob

Timrudman
9th May 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi
I would like to try Tim Rudmans Thiocarbamide dry reducer as detailed in his book 'The Photographer's Master Printing Course', the formula given requires 2.3g of Iodine, can anyone tell me what form of Iodine this will be and where I can obtain some, I have purchased a bottle of Iodine from the local pharmacy, the active ingredients are Iodine 2.5% w/v, Potassium Iodide 2.5% w/v, also contains purified water and Ethanol 89% v/v, is it possible to utilise this?

Thank you.

I use iodine crystals for this.
The Photographers Formulary does a very similar one in prepared kit form I have discovered and they have the iodine as an iodine-methanol solution at 1.3 g in 30ml.
They do mail order but restrictions apply to shipping overseas of some liquids in US. This is only small amounts so I don't know if they would ship or not - but it is mail order so worth an email to find out.
Tim

vanannan
10th May 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks all, I guess I will have to order from Silverprint, problem is I don't need anything else at the moment and adding the postage would make the price a bit silly (my income is limited and I have always been frugal or should that be tight?).

Mike O'Pray
10th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks all, I guess I will have to order from Silverprint, problem is I don't need anything else at the moment and adding the postage would make the price a bit silly (my income is limited and I have always been frugal or should that be tight?).

Just avoid the Falcon's Nest or the "Bay" for a few weeks :D

Mike

vanannan
11th May 2011, 11:10 AM
Just avoid the Falcon's Nest or the "Bay" for a few weeks :D

Mike

For said reasons I don't drink at all now, I used to frequent the Falcons Nest:), I wouldn't drink in the "Bay" if I were to win the lottery, in fact I would rather chew razor blades