PDA

View Full Version : Neutral fibre paper with smooth glossy surface?

Miha
7th May 2011, 11:27 AM
I'm looking for a neutral tone fibre paper with really smooth surface. Something like Ilford Warmtone glossy but neutral. Their regular IV 1K has some waviness to the surface that I'm not particularly fond of.

I have tried Fomabrom 111 and Adox MCC 110 but none come close to the smoothness of the Ilford Warmtone.

There are other candidates like Bergger, Oriental, Adox Classic and Kentmere that I'm not familiar with.

I'm sticking to Ilford matt as this paper exhibits no surface texture at all, but would like to try something in glossy but it has to be super smooth.

Thanks

Richard Gould
7th May 2011, 01:47 PM
Miha,
Try Kentmere fineprint glossy, neutral to Cold tone and a very smooth glossy when I last used it
Richard

Miha
7th May 2011, 02:21 PM
Richard, have you compared it to Ilford IV 1K?

Richard Gould
7th May 2011, 02:47 PM
Sorry Miha but I have never used the Ilford MG fibre, I prefered the Kentmere, when it was mad by kentmere, a while ago now, but to me it was the smoothest glossy compared to old agfa, and smoother than any Foma paper, It also has price advantages over most others, I have also tried the Adox fine print, the old Efke, and preferred the Kentmere, paper,worth a try,
Richard

Miha
7th May 2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Richard, I will probably give it a try.
I'm also interested in Bergger NB - anyone using it?

Martin Aislabie
7th May 2011, 03:32 PM
Ilford Galerie ?

Its not a multi grade paper but gives fabulous results

Responds well to Beers hard/soft developers

Martin

Miha
7th May 2011, 03:54 PM
Ilford Galerie ?
Is the surface anything like that of Ilford Warmtone?

Martin Aislabie
8th May 2011, 10:00 AM
Is the surface anything like that of Ilford Warmtone?

I think so - the glossy not the semi matt

YMMV

Martin

Mark-NY
8th May 2011, 10:15 AM
Miha - Try the Oriental FB glossy - the finish is very smooth, more so than the Adox MC 110 which I find has a very little amount of texture. Otherwise, I find the two papers similar in their tonal charachteristics.

Trevor Crone
8th May 2011, 10:30 AM
Miha, although I've not used Bergger's NB I have used their warmtone version and the surface is very smooth, but not I feel, quite the high gloss of Ilford's warmtone FB paper.

Miha
8th May 2011, 01:40 PM
Thank you all for your input. I will probably get some Oriental to start with (hopefully the Geiger counter won't be needed:cool:) as I can get it easily. Trevor, the Bergger* looks most tempting though, and I remember the thread where you've been quite specific about the smooth surface of the warm tone variant.

*correction: actually it was the Oriental WT you were trying out.

Phil
9th May 2011, 08:15 AM
Miha - Adox Vario Classic FB - a really beautiful paper, finish isn't quite as smooth as Forte papers used to be, but it is up there. It has a great quality feel to it. I actually think it is one of the nicest papers I have ever used.
Phil

Miha
9th May 2011, 06:48 PM
Phil, I have used Vario Classic (Fotokemika Varycon) in the past, although in matt. I somehow feel that the glossy is not that different to the Emaks (Adox Nuance) which I use regularly and has a sort of egg-shell surface - not exactly what I'm looking for in a cool/neutral tone paper.