PDA

View Full Version : Third Time Lucky - DIY Panoramic Wide Angle Camera Creates Actual Images!!

Steve Smith
25th May 2011, 07:57 PM
As some of you probably know, I have been building a 6x12 format camera with a Super Angulon 65mm lens: http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/pano612.html

On Sunday I took it out for its trial run with a roll of film. I got home and processed the film.... opened the tank and was presented with six very black frames!

I looked at the camera to try to work out how the light was getting in. I decided that it was the material which I used to make the lens board out of. Although it looked opaque, it must have been passing some light so I stuck some film backing paper to it and went out again last night with another roll of film. This time..... another six black negatives!

I spent a bit more time looking over the camera last night and eventually found the problem. I had used part of an old Olympus lens as a focusing mount and there were two narrow slits allowing light in. I could only really see it by holding it in front of a bright light and moving it around.

Today I filled those gaps with some black silicon and took it out with a third roll of film. The result.... six wonderful wide angle images which I will print, scan and post in the next few days.

Although I haven't printed then yet, it seems that I have sharp focus from very close to infinity with the lens focused at infinity which makes me wonder why I bothered making the focusing mount! My original plan of setting the lens at hyperfocal distance for f16 would have been fine.
Anyway, I'm off to do a little happy dance and perhaps have a celebration beer now!

Steve.

MartyNL
25th May 2011, 09:43 PM
Can't wait to see the results!

So, When does it go into production?;)

Steve Smith
26th May 2011, 05:37 AM
So, When does it go into production?

Never!!!

Steve.

photomi7ch
26th May 2011, 11:14 AM
Wow! Steve what a wonderfully crafted bit of kit. I look forward as well to seeing the results. :)

Steve Smith
29th May 2011, 09:06 PM
Now with added pictures:

MartyNL
29th May 2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Dave miller
30th May 2011, 06:50 AM
Excellent results, you are rightly pleased.

WillShade
31st May 2011, 08:08 PM
Having just completed my own 4x5 conversion (out of a Polaroid Pathfinder 110), I can definitely relate to the feeling of seeing black frames instead of images :)

Beautiful images, Steve. Perfect for the panoramic format.
And your craftsmanship is top notch.

Steve Smith
31st May 2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks. I have a 110 currently being modified to 5x4 too. I start many projects but not so many get finished!

Steve.

ChrisN
1st June 2011, 07:15 AM
Nice work! I really like the 2:1 format - wide but not too much to take it all in.

Steve Smith
1st June 2011, 08:24 AM
Nice work! I really like the 2:1 format - wide but not too much to take it all in.

Yes. And it fits in my 5x4 enlarger!

Steve.

cliveh
1st June 2011, 05:20 PM
Steve, I take my hat off to you. Building a camera to your own design is no mean feat, including problem solving along the way. You have now built something unique and produced a wonderful set of images from your efforts. I too like this 2:1 ratio and may you have plenty of fun using this camera to great effect. Have you ever looked at the panoramic shots by Josef Koudelka, as it may give you some ideas, example below?

AmericanMrs
11th June 2011, 10:54 AM
Lovely!! You must be really pleased :)

Steve Smith
11th June 2011, 11:54 AM
I have since built a replacement back from oak. I just need to fit some brass catches to it now.

Steve.

Martin Aislabie
23rd June 2011, 09:46 PM
Well done Steve

You should be rightly proud of your achievements :D

How did you get the film plane and lens plane to parallel to the exacting standards required ?

Are you painting in the inside of the "box" matt black ?

Martin

peterlg
23rd June 2011, 10:38 PM
I do like your photos
The format altough not applicable everywhere, seems to fit particularly to water.
With my Mamiya 7II I can do the same though on a smaller scale (need to crop 2.5cm vertically)
Wish you best of luck and hope to see more panoramas from your hand.
Bravo with your camera construction!
Peter

Steve Smith
24th June 2011, 09:24 AM
How did you get the film plane and lens plane to parallel to the exacting standards required ?

I haven't actually measured it but given the huge depth of field and the fact that I can't really tell the difference between the shots set at infinity and a couple with the lens about 4mm forward of this position, I don't think it's that critical.

I am just assuming that the parts I cut on the CNC machine are square and parallel!

Are you painting in the inside of the "box" matt black ?

Yes. The insides are all matt black now.

Steve.

davkt
25th June 2011, 10:12 PM
Excellent results from a stunning camera!

Martin Aislabie
27th June 2011, 09:03 PM
I am just assuming that the parts I cut on the CNC machine are square and parallel!

Steve.

A fairly safe bet Steve :D

Martin

photomi7ch
1st July 2011, 09:24 AM
I have a soft spot for this format since seeing a book by Horst Hamann call New York Vertical.

They are an excllent set of shots that back up the craftmanship that has gone into the making of the camera. :)