PDA

View Full Version : Ilford price increase

Richard Gould
27th May 2011, 04:11 PM
Just got a email from Harman Express, signed up for their newsletter a while ago, and among other things they announce that all Ilford Photo film and paper and Kentmere will increase prices as from the 1st of June due to the recent rise in the price of Silver,among other Things, They don't say how much, so we will find on Wednesday, I suppose,
Richard:mad:

Dave miller
27th May 2011, 04:13 PM
Strange, I thought the price of silver had gone down recently! :confused:

Richard Gould
27th May 2011, 04:19 PM
So did I, but that is what they say,
Richard

Mike O'Pray
27th May 2011, 04:25 PM
OK, the materials Ilford is about to use contains silver bought several weeks/ months ago at the peak but given that silver is dropping in price and may have some way to go yet, you have to wonder whether it might have been able to hold the price and then make up the profit by holding the "now" prices while buying the raw materials more cheaply.

We may have gotten used to the last price increase and a period of steadiness would have been welcome.

On the other hand maybe once the batch has been made with silver price at the higher price then we can expect to see price reductions in the autumn?

Ilford has established a pattern of announcing both good and bad news on APUG. I'll be interested in what it does there in terms of announcing the increase and seeing what the reaction there is.

Mike

Richard Gould
27th May 2011, 04:39 PM
I haven't seen anything on Apug about any price increase, just the customer announcement on the Harman news letter, Could it be a increase in the U.K.? I wouldn't like to comment, but with the drop in silver I had hoped for a period of steadiness in price, Perhaps Matt or Martin might know a bit more,
Richard

Mike O'Pray
27th May 2011, 04:51 PM
The announcement in Harman Express News has now been quoted word for word on APUG with a pre-face saying that this was the announcement made to those of us who receive the e-mail in the U.K.

Mike

Richard Gould
27th May 2011, 04:57 PM
I have just had another look at the Harman news Email and the following is what they say;
''Customer Notice Due to the rise in the cost of raw materials and manufacturing, (In particular the big rise in the cost of silver), it will be necessary to increase the price of some of our products. On the 1st of June there will be an increase in ILFORD PHOTO, Kentmere photo black and white films and papers and HARMAN direct positive paper''
no other information is given, so make of this what you will.
Richard

Dave miller
27th May 2011, 05:48 PM
I have just had another look at the Harman news Email and the following is what they say;
''Customer Notice Due to the rise in the cost of raw materials and manufacturing, (In particular the big rise in the cost of silver), it will be necessary to increase the price of some of our products. On the 1st of June there will be an increase in ILFORD PHOTO, Kentmere photo black and white films and papers and HARMAN direct positive paper''
no other information is given, so make of this what you will.
Richard

It will be interesting to see how much of an increase non-UK markets are asked to bear, also at a time of shrinking disposable incomes manufacturers should be very sure of their markets before imposing price rises.

Larry
27th May 2011, 05:51 PM
Hi all,

I've just rec'd a email from Harman online shop promoting some deals for the bank holiday weekend but more disturbing is the last paragraph somewhat not too easy to read white text on a light coloured background quoting:

CUSTOMER NOTICE
Due to the rise in cost of raw materials and manufacturing (in particular the big rise in the cost of silver), it will be necessary to increase the prices of some of our products. On 1st June there will be an increase in the price of ILFORD PHOTO, Kentmere Photo, black and white films and papers and HARMAN Direct Positive papers.

I'm sure they may have good commercial reasons for this but I thought the price of silver had come down or at least stablised. Never mind, great products but not very helpful for customers.

Richard Gould
27th May 2011, 06:08 PM
As this news letter is mainly aimed at the UK and I can find no mention of the price rise in the main Ilford site, I can't help but wonder if the price rise is mainly aimed,once again, at the long suffering UK and European photographers, and I can only see, in these difficult financial times, more sales for Foma Adox Etc, there is only so much cash to go around, I was, in a couple of weeks, when we return from France, to order a couple of boxes of the new paper to try, it was just about affordable, and I have read some good things about it, but with the rise, whatever it is,I will have to re-consider it, I like to keep some FB paper in stock, but it is getting difficult to afford Ilford already,so maybe I will try the Adox instead, we will just have to wait and see how much it goes up
Richard

Neil Smith
27th May 2011, 08:53 PM
With the recent fall in silver prices this anouncement is puzzling, I am finding it difficult to put up with Ilfords pricing strategy in the UK. I will actually pay whatever it costs for the materials I need to enjoy my photography, but with other good options out there I am increasingly using other manufacturers and finding the results are to my liking.
It will be interesting to see where this leads Ilford in the future.

Neil

Richard Gould
27th May 2011, 09:12 PM
Neil,
While I also pay whatever it takes for my photography I have all but given up on Harman,this makes no sense to me, silver is falling, and this was almost hidden away, at the bottom of the page, and no mention of how much the increase is,Like you, I have found myself looking, and finding, alternitives, from the likes of Adox,Foma, Fotospeed,Etc, at considerable saving on Harman proceing, and in all probality just as good, so while the competion is there I will use them, I suppose if Harman was the only firm producing blak and white products I would have no choice, but currently Choice is there,
Richard

Mike O'Pray
27th May 2011, 11:16 PM
On the other big site populated by mainly U.S. users there was just the first signs that if it affects the U.S and I can see no reason why it won't, that some there had arrived at the same level of puzzlement and disappointment that has affected some of us here in the the U.K and the rest of Europe.

Mike

Richard Gould
28th May 2011, 06:55 AM
I have just looked on the Harman express website, and there the wording is different to the notice in the newsletter:
'' Due to the rising cost of raw materials and manufacturing we have increased the prices on Ilford Photo and Kentmere Photo Products''.
Could it be that Harmam Express prices only are increasing,I wonder,?
It would seem strange that they would increase the selling prices,but as we have heard nothing from either Martin or Matt, who have, in the past, told us in advance of Harman price increases, or am I clinging to straws,? I suppose only Wednesday will tell,
Richard

dsallen
28th May 2011, 07:51 AM
I can certainly recommend ADOX Fine Print® Vario Classic. I use the glossy and find it gives great results - particularly when used with a hard working developer such as Dokumol.

Key points to note (due high levels of silver and formulation):

Red safelight only
Develop for at least 3.5 mins (I develop for 4 mins followed by 15 secs before putting into stop bath)
Longer development times do produce a lot more density giving a 'heavy' look that resembles a lot of images I remember from the 60s and 70s.
Keep checking your fixer as it gets used up (well over save archival levels) quicker than other papers that I have used.

Here in Berlin it is 43,43€ for 25 sheets size 12" x 16" (equivalent of 86,86€ for 50 sheets) which is 51,92€ cheaper than Ilford Multigrade IV.

Happily for me, I both prefer the results I get from the Vario Classic and save just over 1€ per sheet of paper over the Harman product.

Phil
29th May 2011, 04:05 PM
I can certainly recommend ADOX Fine Print® Vario Classic.

Ditto - excellent and high quality paper. Actually nicer, I think than their MCC.
As for Harman, have they never heard of shooting yourself in the foot? The UK market simply can't sustain another price rise no matter how good the products are.
Phil

Mike O'Pray
29th May 2011, 04:29 PM
The announcement on APUG has generated a fair rather than enormous amout of comment in two days but things there have a tendency to "run" like the "Mousetrap"( if you are old enough:D)

It will be interesting to see if Ilford respond officially tomorrow in order to at least clarify to whom the price increase will apply.

Mike

Richard Gould
29th May 2011, 04:50 PM
The announcement on APUG has generated a fair rather than enormous amout of comment in two days but things there have a tendency to "run" like the "Mousetrap"( if you are old enough:D)

It will be interesting to see if Ilford respond officially tomorrow in order to at least clarify to whom the price increase will apply.

Mike
They do seem to go on about things over there, We have still not heard anything official apart from a brief anounsment on the Harman expres Website and the Harman Expres Newsletter , which could maybe only apply to their direct sales, and until we all hear something from Ilford themselves,or either Martin or Matt then perhaps we should not be holding our breath, there is nothing we can do apart it, except hope that Harman don't price themselves too much out of the U.K. and European market, we shall just have to wait and see, and hope,
Richard

Bill
29th May 2011, 05:03 PM

Mike

Think you may have to wait Mike, as tomorrow is a Bank Holiday so I would think it will be Tuesday before we hear.

Bill

Steve O
29th May 2011, 05:19 PM
Regarding Adox prices, earlier this year I paid £36 for 100 sheets of 10x8 vario classic in the Uk and now it's showing up at over £70 :shock:

I'm getting seriously frustrated with the constant and rapid shift upwards in price. I have cut back my film use by 75% through the use of a digicam to preview shots and also proof negs on the PC now to save money.

Steve

Phil
29th May 2011, 05:48 PM
Regarding Adox prices, earlier this year I paid £36 for 100 sheets of 10x8 vario classic in the Uk and now it's showing up at over £70 :shock:

Just spotted that myself Steve - ridiculous.
P

Mike O'Pray
29th May 2011, 06:04 PM
Think you may have to wait Mike, as tomorrow is a Bank Holiday so I would think it will be Tuesday before we hear.

Bill

I must admit I had forgotten Bill. When you are retired so Bank Holidays mean nothing anyway and retirement means being even more affected by another price increase, the shock of it tends to numb your brain:D.

Mike

B&W Neil
29th May 2011, 06:09 PM
Thank goodness our freezer is well stocked up and I haven't got to worry about this for another 12 months or so :D

Neil.

Richard Gould
29th May 2011, 06:20 PM
As far as I can see in a quick look the currently cheapest FB papers appear to be the Adox MCC and the Foma Varient,or the Kentmere Fineprint, which is a very good paper, although that is going up on Wednesday, I suppose we should not be too surprised at the rise in the Adox Vario Classic as it is a very Silver Rich paper, but it could still be cheaper than Ilford MG after Wednesday. I admit that 90% of my printing these days is on RC paper, and although I do keep some FB paper in stock it has to be a very special negative for me to use FB Paper these days,

Richard

cliveh
29th May 2011, 07:39 PM
As prices rise it may make us more discerning about if to press the shutter or print that image, so perhaps not so bad after all.

Dave miller
30th May 2011, 06:56 AM
As prices rise it may make us more discerning about if to press the shutter or print that image, so perhaps not so bad after all.

Most of us went through that stage several price increases ago; about this time last year in fact.

Richard Gould
30th May 2011, 09:43 AM
I went though that last year, I was forced to give up on Harman products at the last price rise, I am very much afraid that Harman will price themselves out of the market altogether if it goes on like this, I intend to continue taking photographs and printing photographs in my darkroom, and I have had to cast around for cheaper materials, and I have found film and paper I like better, I am sure I am not alone.
Richard

Phil
30th May 2011, 09:52 AM
Given the massive hike in Adox material now, I am starting to think, do I really need to print on FB all the time, seeing as at the end of the day they tend to just be for me anyway.
It's hard though, as when I started at college back in the early 80's, we used Kentmere FB and the glorious Galerie - RC was very much seen as the poor relation.
I'll not go any further as I'm sure the RC/FB thing has been discussed elsewhere.
My final point though, is, in a vaguely is it/isn't it shrinking film market, what's the best thing to do? Yeah, that's right (and this is applicable to all manufacturers) make it so expensive that your customers can't actually afford to use your products . . .now that's what I call real business sense :slap:
Phil

Jon Butler
30th May 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm well stocked with paper and film at moment having about 20 boxes of Ilford FB paper and 350 sheets of HP5/FP4 but still ordered another box of 100 HP5 Friday so I'll be OK for a while.
Using other than Ilford products is not an option for me as I either dislike them or not avalible in size I need.
I will continue to bite the bullet and pay up dispite any Ilford price increases as I do with fuel,food,insurance and everything else.

If a time comes where I cannot justify or afford buying Ilford media or film stock I'll just close the darkroom door for good.
J.

Keith Tapscott.
30th May 2011, 05:07 PM
Having tried some other film brands recently, I have decided I will continue to use Ilford films.

Jon Butler
30th May 2011, 07:55 PM
I thought you would come to that conclusion Keith.

By the way guys photography is still cheaper today than it was 45 years ago in real terms. Photograph was pretty elitist back then and it was only in the 80s to early 90s when film was a mass market product and became cheap as chips.
J.

Dave miller
31st May 2011, 06:47 AM
I thought you would come to that conclusion Keith.

By the way guys photography is still cheaper today than it was 45 years ago in real terms. Photograph was pretty elitist back then and it was only in the 80s to early 90s when film was a mass market product and became cheap as chips.
J.

But it's not cheaper than it was five years ago, or even last year come to that. :(

mono
31st May 2011, 06:59 AM
I think as a consequence I´ll switch over to Adox MCC (former AGFA MCC) which is way cheaper here. I always liked AGFA MCC and I am happy that it has returned! Hopefully Forte Polywarmtone will return, too, some day or other.

Miha
31st May 2011, 11:17 AM
From APUG:

Dear All,

Yes we have a price increase on June 1st, Worldwide.

This is obviously deeply regrettable and we do not take increasing our prices lightly. Obviously it ultimately affect volume. You have all seen the rise in the price of silver, we put up prices on February 1st 2011 calculatedv and based on silver prices on December 24th 2010 ( $ 28.00 per troy ounce ) since then we have bought silver at anywhere between $ 28.00 and $ 48.00 so everything we have manufactured and put into stock since December 24th has been at a much higher raw material price, we cannot absorb that level of increase and we must increase prices. We have done everything in our power to mitigate the increase, including even more stringent cost control, as part of these measures we also had to take the decision to reduce our workforce by 58 which is about 20.00% otherwise our price increase would have had to be much higher, this is a real human cost for the speculation in silver.

The almost unprecedented ( it has happened once before Bunker / Hunt ) speculation in silver damages all people who need to buy it and use to make things, and of course those who buy products containing silver.

We can only hope silver reduces significantly from its current level ( $ 38.00 ).

Our philosophy remains the same, we continue to make all products, none will be deleted and we will remain totally committed to producing the widest range of monochrome film, paper ( including the new ART 300 ) and chemistry, from any manufacturer, anywhere.

We thank all our customers who use and value ILFORD Photo products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Mike O'Pray
31st May 2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks Miha. I thought it had to be worldwide. I could not work out why it would only be Harman Express customers only.

No mention of percentage increase(s) or whether some products have higher increases than others?

Mike

Martin Reed
31st May 2011, 03:57 PM
I haven't seen anything on Apug about any price increase, just the customer announcement on the Harman news letter, Could it be a increase in the U.K.? I wouldn't like to comment, but with the drop in silver I had hoped for a period of steadiness in price, Perhaps Matt or Martin might know a bit more,
Richard

The Harman price rise at the beginning of February was in response to silver reaching $30 oz - however the market value just kept on going up, and although it ultimately did fall somewhat, it's currently around $38. Hence another mid-course correction by Harman, although this isn't on the scale of the Feb increase.

I think it would be optimistic in the extreme to hope for a price reduction in the manufactured product if silver falls in value - it never happened after the Bunker Hunt affair in 1981, and that was a drop in magnitude on a larger scale than we're likely to see here. Plus all the pundits seem to agree that silver is rallying before smashing through the $50 barrier & heading to previously unknown heights :-(

Mike O'Pray
31st May 2011, 05:14 PM
I think it would be optimistic in the extreme to hope for a price reduction in the manufactured product if silver falls in value - -(

In response to a question of what will happen if the silver price were to fall in terms of the effect on Harman prices, Mr Simon Galley of Harman appears to have said quite unequivocally YES theyn will fall.

An interesting and fairly committed response I thought

Mike

Martin Reed
31st May 2011, 05:28 PM
Just being realistic.

I've posted some stuff about the Silver Magnet silver recovery unit on 'New Products', we've got a few of these to sell to UK users to gauge response.

Dave miller
31st May 2011, 06:27 PM
In response to a question of what will happen if the silver price were to fall in terms of the effect on Harman prices, Mr Simon Galley of Harman appears to have said quite unequivocally YES theyn will fall.

An interesting and fairly committed response I thought

Mike

What's that pink thing that just flew past my office window. :shock:

Larry
31st May 2011, 06:53 PM
Apart from the planned price rises there is also the human element involved here and I feel sorry for those who have lost their jobs.

I came across the new story, which gives another the local newspapers version.

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/9018285.Up_to_60_jobs_to_go_at_Harman___s/

Mike O'Pray
31st May 2011, 06:54 PM
You may be right of course Dave and let me now quote exactly the Q and A that led to me saying that Simon Galley appeared to be committing to a price reduction if the silver price dropped

Q: Will we see prices drop if silver somehow returns to $10 per ounce
A: Yes, you would

On one level he responded to a specific silver price reduction which is very large in relation to where it is now and anyway realistically it is going to have to go way below the $28 per ounce that prompted the last big increase to see any likelihood of a price reduction.

So on one level you could say he isn't risking much with a "small print" answer which can be read as no committment to do anything all the way down to $11 per ounce. On the other hand there does seem to be a recognition that the prices increases have hurt the business and (now my interpretation again) if the trend were to continue Harman could once again be looking into the abyss as Ilford did in 2004/5.

What did surprise me is that Harman has reduced the workforce by another 58 personnel which was claimed to about a 20% reduction in the quote.

58 is 20% of 290. My recollection may be wrong but on the 2006 tour I thought a workforce figure of about 600 was mentioned. This represents a very substantial reduction.

You were on that tour Dave,do you recall if the workforce figure was mentioned and if so what it was?

Mike

Martin Reed
31st May 2011, 08:12 PM
Yes it was 600 prior to the Harman takeover, they set up after staffing had been cut to 300. They now have around 220.

But in the 1970's the company was running on multiple sites employing 3500, so downsizing is endemic to the company in recent decades.

Martin Aislabie
31st May 2011, 09:12 PM
Just being realistic.

I've posted some stuff about the Silver Magnet silver recovery unit on 'New Products', we've got a few of these to sell to UK users to gauge response.

Don't see a tab names "new Products" Martin :confused:

I also tried searching for "magnet" without much luck either

Thanks

Martin

Martin Aislabie
31st May 2011, 09:16 PM
Yes it was 600 prior to the Harman takeover, they set up after staffing had been cut to 300. They now have around 220.

But in the 1970's the company was running on multiple sites employing 3500, so downsizing is endemic to the company in recent decades.

Dark days indeed

It cannot be a confortable situation for those left in the workforce - they must look around and wonder who is next

Martin

Mike O'Pray
31st May 2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Martin. I either mis-heard the Harman figure on the 2006 tour or latched on to the pre-Harman figure if that was mentioned then and it might well have been.

Still a further 20% reduction is very serious especially for those directly affected and certainly Simon Galley is laying blame and it would seem rightly at the door of the silver speculators.

Mike

Martin Reed
31st May 2011, 09:39 PM
Don't see a tab names "new Products" Martin :confused:

I also tried searching for "magnet" without much luck either

Thanks

Martin

No, you're looking in the wrong direction, I meant this site!

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4437

Martin Reed
1st June 2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks Martin. I either mis-heard the Harman figure on the 2006 tour or latched on to the pre-Harman figure if that was mentioned then and it might well have been.
Still a further 20% reduction is very serious especially for those directly affected and certainly Simon Galley is laying blame and it would seem rightly at the door of the silver speculators.
Mike

I don't think anyone, including Harman, ever foresaw this situation with silver as a future threat - the Bunker Hunt thing was a deliberately engineered scam that was very temporary, although even so it caused a major fallout in the photo industry. But in the aftermath silver was sitting at $10/oz for so many years that no-one thought the value could ever change significantly again. But according to the main pundit on 'silverprice' site;

"Silver and gold remain in a bull market (primary uptrend) that will last another 3 - 10 years, depending on government and central bank stupidity."

And these people are talking about it reaching $100/oz or even more. So although I might be sounding tedious, I reckon as home darkroom users the first thing to look at is capturing the silver in waste fixer and hanging onto it. Worthwhile financially in due course, but assuming our own environmental responsibility strengthens the case for continuing to make images this way. In Europe many countries are far more intolerant than the UK of silver & other chemicals going into the waste systems.

Trevor Crone
1st June 2011, 06:40 AM
In my other life as a laboratory technician there was a time when we had regular collections by a third party of silver residue and waste. But, sadly that came to an abrupt end for one reason or another.

If silver does continue to rise it may prove cheaper to produce palladium prints.

Trevor Crone
1st June 2011, 10:25 AM
Wouldnt it be great if Harman actually bought the silver back from us? I'm sure we would be relatively happy to sell it at a reduced price if the savings are poured back into keeping the paper and film costs down.

??

Leon, I would be happy to let Harman have it if they wish to collect and of course buy me one of those recovery devices from Silverprint.:)

Mike O'Pray
1st June 2011, 11:38 AM
The unfortunate thing is that unless this kind of silver speculation actually impacts the economy in a very serious fashion we can expect no help from government. If it results in the demise of a niche product that hardly impacts on "life" then the attitude will be "so be it"

It seem to me that there might be some mileage in Harman making an arrangement with some of the nationwide distributors such as Jessops to accept used fixer at their branches which Harman then collect and do the recovery on a large scale back at Mobberley or with some contractor set up to do such things.

My usage of fixer means that setting up a unit is probably still more trouble than it is worth but I'd have no trouble calling into a Jessops branch with 5L of used fixer.

Mike

Martin Reed
1st June 2011, 12:58 PM
It seem to me that there might be some mileage in Harman making an arrangement with some of the nationwide distributors such as Jessops to accept used fixer at their branches which Harman then collect and do the recovery on a large scale back at Mobberley or with some contractor set up to do such things.
My usage of fixer means that setting up a unit is probably still more trouble than it is worth but I'd have no trouble calling into a Jessops branch with 5L of used fixer.
Mike

Trouble is, Jessops have little or no real interest in silver based photography now, and there's no other photo distribution system with that coverage. And at Silverprint we're not finding an amazing take-up on the scheme we're running for accepting & giving a rebate on returned fixer, and bear in mind we're in central London.

Which is why I thought working on the lines of home recovery might be the way to go.

Ed Moss
1st June 2011, 05:04 PM
I'm basing these figures on what I'm assuming to be the pre 1.6.11 rise prices on AG photographic and today's prices on Harman Express:

AG (old price) - 50 x sheets 10x8 MG Art = £58.40

Harman (new price) - 50 x Sheets 10x8 MG Art = £75.84

That's approx 28% rise.

Frightening.

Harman are overpriced to start with, it'll probably be much less than that when AG updates prices.

Richard Gould
1st June 2011, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't panic just yet, Harman express are way more expensive than anywhere else on their own products, for instanced on the Firstcall website they are listing MG art 300 10x8 at £43.49 per 50 sheets, including VAT, so I would wait and see how this new price rise pans out over the coming few days before panicing.
Richard

Martin Aislabie
1st June 2011, 08:43 PM
No, you're looking in the wrong direction, I meant this site!

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4437

That confused me :slap:

Martin

Miha
14th June 2011, 05:53 PM
Adox have increased prices by 20%. Their first increase since 2008.

Mike O'Pray
14th June 2011, 06:20 PM
Adox have increased prices by 20%. Their first increase since 2008.

Not wishing to change the direction of the thread but out of interest and perhaps balance anf fairness I just had a look at AgPhotographic's prices for Ilford and Adox and by a slight margin Adox paper is relatively more expensive in relation to Ilford than it formerly was.

For the same size box(100 sheets of 8x10 inch) Adox is now over £10 more. This is an appreciable amount in relation to the base price

I am assuming that Matt has factored in both companies' price increases in his

Mike

Richard Gould
14th June 2011, 07:07 PM
I have just checked on the Silverprint web site and the Adox mcc paper is around £5 more expensive than the ilford, and I believe Martin has specials on the Ilford paper, this is on a box of 91/2x12 50 sheets, as I cannot see 10x8 adox on Silverprint site, again assuming Martin has factored in the recent Adox increase,
Richard

Miha
14th June 2011, 07:20 PM
The situation is reversed outside the UK. Ilford paper is around 10% more expensive here in Slovenia and 30% more expensive in Germany compared to German made Adox paper. All after the increase. But that's old news.

Mansuriatus Shahrir
14th June 2011, 07:22 PM
Luckily here in Malaysia, Ilford has yet to increase the price, it will eventually come soon though, but happily not yet. In fact, Ilford has been running this price discounted promotion for the last 2 months here. Thank God as Ilford is the only paper (or even chemicals) you can buy here, all others we need to shop overseas online.

Yesterday I just picked up 11x14 MGIV Warmtone FB Glossy 50 sheets for only RM165 or about £35 :) Hopefully their promotion will run for sometime.

Mansur

Mike O'Pray
14th June 2011, 11:21 PM
[QUOTEYesterday I just picked up 11x14 MGIV Warmtone FB Glossy 50 sheets for only RM165 or about £35 :) Hopefully their promotion will run for sometime.

Mansur[/QUOTE]

Mansur if there is plenty of paper left in this promotion, some enterprising individual in your country is going to buy as much as he can and advertise it on the U.K. e-bay and make a fortune. It might as well be you. You will have plenty of buyers on FADU.

That is an incredible price. Matt at Ag and he is very competitive is selling the same stuff for just over £90!!!!

Mike

Mansuriatus Shahrir
15th June 2011, 12:46 AM
I was thinking along the same line :) Alas, I do not have much spare cash...... but perhaps I will drop by soon and buy some more that I can.

Mansur

Mansur if there is plenty of paper left in this promotion, some enterprising individual in your country is going to buy as much as he can and advertise it on the U.K. e-bay and make a fortune. It might as well be you. You will have plenty of buyers on FADU.

That is an incredible price. Matt at Ag and he is very competitive is selling the same stuff for just over £90!!!!

Mike

Mansuriatus Shahrir
15th June 2011, 01:53 AM
Wow, I just checked the prices on Ag, man that's a lot of difference. And do you guys need to pay VAT on top of that as well? I just called Ilford here and they say they still have plenty more of the papers and promotional prices are still valid.

Mike O'Pray
15th June 2011, 06:03 PM
A promotion usually means selling at a very small profit or at break-even or maybe at a small loss but I think this latter case unlikely. So unless this is a promotion at a very considerable loss and assuming Matt isn't selling at a vast profit and I think this unlikelyas well, then what profit is Ilford making on paper in the U.K?

A difference of £55!!!.

I thought I had laid my demons to rest on the whole subject but I struggle to keep them at rest with this information

Mansur do you know what the price was before the promotion?

Mike

Mansuriatus Shahrir
15th June 2011, 07:21 PM
Mike, I'm not too sure on that, have to call them to check. I have to further clarify that I'm not dealing directly with Ilford here, but its only official distributor for this side of the world, Shriro.

MartyNL
15th June 2011, 10:55 PM
Not sure where to post this. Thought it might fit in here...

I've had a mail today from Macodirect.de but please note I haven't cross referenced any of the prices!

Ilford MG RC 25M
http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-mg-rc-2 ... 7_558.html (http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-mg-rc-25m-c-1_17_47_558.html)

Ilford MG FB 5K
http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-mg-fb-5 ... 7_106.html (http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-mg-fb-5k-c-1_17_47_106.html)

Ilford MG WARMTONE FB 1K
http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-warmton ... 7_107.html (http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-warmtone-c-1_17_47_107.html)

Ilford MG WARMTONE FB 24K
http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-warmton ... 7_108.html (http://www.macodirect.de/ilford-warmtone-c-1_17_47_108.html)

Adox PE und Baryt
http://www.macodirect.de/adox-adox-glossy-c-1_17_588_634.html
http://www.macodirect.de/adox-adox-glossy-c-1_17_588_589.html
http://www.macodirect.de/adox-adox-semimatt-c-1_17_588_590.html

Oriental
VC-FB
VC-FB-Warmtone
http://www.macodirect.de/fotopapier-ori ... 7_564.html (http://www.macodirect.de/fotopapier-oriental-c-1_17_564.html)

Mansuriatus Shahrir
16th June 2011, 01:24 AM
Marty, the prices you showed above more closely matched what we paid for Ilford papers here before the current promotion. The good thing for us here is that we do not have any VAT here, YET :)

Having said that, Ilford is the only paper we can buy here. We can't get anything else. So our choices are very limited.

dsallen
16th June 2011, 08:36 AM
I also stumbled upon the cut price Ilford Multigrade FB Warmtone at Maco.

Unbelievable reduction!

Great bargain for all of you who like this paper:

Ilford MG WARMTONE FB 24K 30x40/50 82,90EUR (£72.40).

Normal price in the UK is, I believe, £116.64

http://www.macodirect.de