PDA

View Full Version : Salons and exhibitions

les dix
15th June 2011, 08:12 AM
There have been a number of recent successes by FADU members in various salons and open exhibitions and this is very good to see. I wonder if any of those who regularly enter such events could share their thoughts. What are the good and not so good aspects of entering these popular 'competitions'?

I have only entered such events twice, with no acceptances. I have been reluctant to enter more often because when I look at the images on the salon web sites they do not seem to be very appealing or meaningful and have a fairly narrow aesthetic. That excellent and imaginative work such as that of Dave Hall and other FADU members can do well might make me change my mind about these events.

Les

B&W Neil
15th June 2011, 09:01 AM
Les.

I am not the expert on salon entries although I have had a couple of goes at the Cotswold Monochrome Salon.

When I was in the RPS I used to to have a go at their exibitions etc - especially those which involved the Visual Art Group. But when I left the RPS I started missing this challenge hence why I looked at the Cotswold.

The Cotswold attracted me as it has a 'Silver Print' section and of course is only for monochrome work.

I have recently joined the London Salon and are looking forward to receiving their printed item on this years salon, with a view of maybe diong an entry next year.

Neil.

Trevor Crone
15th June 2011, 09:34 AM
Les, this is very much a personal matter and approach, however I no longer enter such events as I felt they were becoming too predictable and formulaic. Having had some success, including a London Salon medal (2005). But my photography was changing and indeed has changed and no longer 'fits' the formula.

The success of Dave Hall's excellent and original work may indicate that some salons are not so 'formulaic' after all:)

David Lingham
15th June 2011, 03:02 PM
Les

I’ve entered a number of various Salons since the late 80’s and I would agree with Trevor that some do attract a certain style of work. There has also been a wide variety of fads and fashions in exhibition work such as IR or Lith. I no longer take part in club competitions but a few years ago a print of mine was torn to shreds in a monthly comp only to have the same print accepted in the London Salon. Where is the logic in that, the answer is there is none and it is entirely how your work is seen on any one day by those who are selecting it.
Many years ago I do remember reading an article by an eminent Fellow of the RPS who said he intentionally tried to get low marks in a club comp because he knew then he would do well in a Salon, but I think that says more about club photography than Salon selection and is a bit off topic.

Dave

Richard Gould
15th June 2011, 03:10 PM
Like Trevor I used to enter a lot of the salons and Exhibitions, but I found that the only way to get accepted was to produce prints to a formula, depending very much on who the selectors were, produce your prints to the accepted formula and you get in, but in the end I found I was shooting and printing to try and please the judges and not me, so I quit and now produce photographs that I like,
Richard

B&W Neil
15th June 2011, 03:33 PM
I would like to add to my previous comment that as a landscape photographer I would only ever enter something where landscapes would be accepted. Although the Cotswold does change its entry criteria from year to year in the last two years landscapes have been catered for.

I have not yet enterd for the London Salon but from what I can see there is no entry criteria set apart from they are looking for a strong art influence in the images.

Obviously as with all things like this you have to study the entry criteria and if you do not hit the right spot your work will not get past the first round.

Neil.

vincent
15th June 2011, 04:29 PM
Our club showed a selection of entries from the London Salon 2010 recently and I must admit I found it quite disheartening at the number of digitally manipulated images on display. To see so much, convinced me that we are are on two completely different pathways that have no relationship to each other.

Jon Butler
15th June 2011, 05:27 PM
I only entry exhibitions with images that are to my standards and vision. i don't strive to please anyone else but if I'm lucky the selectors may pick it, if they don't it I'm not worried.
Just be true to yourself, working to a formula to win pots in clubs and exhibitions IMO stifles creativity and inhibits a print makers development.
J.

B&W Neil
15th June 2011, 06:25 PM
I agree with Jon. At this level you have to be true to yourself and not pander to convention or the norm.

Neil.

Bill Clark
4th July 2011, 04:05 PM
".. in the end I found I was shooting and printing to try and please the judges and not me."

Agree.

A wonderful person & successful photographer (Dean Collins) once said, "beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder."

Photograph judging is very subjective. One persons elixir is poison to another.

The best thing that happened to me was finding a person who told a story with his images that reflected my views of the world and became my friend, coach and mentor.

Find someone who could/would be willing to help you out with your photographic journey. The best in sports have a coach; we, as photographers, should do the same. This will elevate your photography, IMHO, much more than any salon or contest.