PDA

View Full Version : Aaaagh what have I done!!! (continuation of 'New Toy' thread)

Puggie
4th July 2011, 11:26 AM
So courtesy of ebay (and ffordes for the cut sheet holders) I now have this:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tSw152vACv0/ThGiUEa64eI/AAAAAAAAAqY/VkV1zauVYp4/s576/IMAG0051.jpg

a Cambo 4x5 (no idea which model, how do I tell) with Graflex 6 3/8" f4.5 lens in a Graphex shutter. I have the Cambo 120 6x7 back now loaded with portra 400 and no sheet film yet, got a nice little Weston euro-master too, how tiny are they??

So is the Graflex lens any good, from what I've read (which isn't much) it was the std lens on the crown/century graphic press camera, and is of tessar design. What does this mean in actual use, do I need to stop down for ultimate sharpness, what will I get at f4,5 (apart from razor thin DOF).

any thoughts and advice (general do's and don'ts are welcome) I would be very grateful of

B&W Neil
4th July 2011, 01:42 PM
The Graflex lens was a professional lens of its time and was good. Things to watch for on them are slow, sticking or not working shutter speeds - especially on the slow shutter speeds. Usually a lens service / clean fixes these problems. My advice is to go out and use it and see what you get, I think you will be well pleased.

Neil.

Puggie
4th July 2011, 01:56 PM
according to the ebay auction it was CLA'd 2 years ago and seems to behave fine.

Ed Moss
4th July 2011, 02:00 PM
Just go out and play, most important thing for most shooting is to get the rear, totally vertical using a spirit level.

You'll love the dof wide open, nothing else like it :)
All these were done wide open Images of Birmingham (http://www.edwardmossphotography.co.uk/prints_395070.html)

Phil
4th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Well done - using a view camera is a steep learning curve, but eventually becomes second nature. What I would say is if you have any scrap RC paper, make yourself some paper negatives for the 5x4 holders - they help get you around the learning process of loading them and also the routine of using a view camera, as there's a lot to remember to start off with. If you hunt around Fadu there's stuff about making them already as far as i remember.
Good luck - it's good fun and, in the case of lugging monorails around, it certainly keeps you fit :)
Phil

B&W Neil
4th July 2011, 02:49 PM
according to the ebay auction it was CLA'd 2 years ago and seems to behave fine.

You should be OK then :)

Quite often these gremlins creep in after a long period of storage or inactivity. I try to remember to play with mine from time time (when not being used) to keep them sweet.

Neil.

JimW
4th July 2011, 05:27 PM
Can heartily recommend the paper negative route. You get used to the process of setting up the camera, sorting out the movements (don't bother to start with, then when you do, make notes) measuring exposure, making exposure. When you have your standard operating procedures sorted, then try it with film. The paper negs will show up any flaws that you can learn from, and at a significantly reduced cost.

Martin Aislabie
4th July 2011, 09:42 PM
My advice is don't shoot anything just yet

Just take the camera out into the garden and try playing around with movements - and see how it affects the image in the GG

Less is often more with movements - but we all seem to need to learn that lesson for ourselves :o

When you think you have mastered it in the garden - try it indoors

5x4 is great fun but SLOW (think 30m set up when you start)

Have fun

Martin

MartyNL
4th July 2011, 10:00 PM
Like others have already said, get out with it. It's the best way to learn and the most fun.

Hints;
The front standard is for focus/depth and the rear standard for shape/form. Hence the advice to try and keep the back perpendicular to the subject plane!

AVOID the temptation of using all of the movements all at once AND/OR extreme movements!

ALWAYS start with the camera 'zeroed' and when in doubt keep it simple.

Look forward to seeing the results.:)

RichardWarom
5th July 2011, 02:56 AM
I found this very useful as there is so much to remember it gave me a quick reminder of functions. Richard
http://www.toyoview.com/LargeFrmtTech/lgformat.html

Trevor Crone
5th July 2011, 07:56 AM
Looks a nice piece of kit - pleased it arrived in, what looks, very good order.

I would certainly endorse what Martin said, get out and practice for a while before running film through it - but don't wait too long;)

If you've not already done so, treat yourself at some point to a sturdy tripod and head.

Puggie
5th July 2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the advice, great link to the toyo site and as I spent my first week with a fast lens shooting EVERYTHING wide open, I'll probably go mad on the movements too once I get my head round the basic exposure.

I'm going to cut some ilford MG IV RC Glossy paper I have into 4x5" sheets for this (which appears to be 10X12.5cm to actually fit the slides).

I've had a play with focussing and the movements, sadly the lens's image circle is not that big so front movements will probably be rather limited. if the weather holds I'll be out to play at lunch time.

big paul
5th July 2011, 11:10 PM
so they didn't have anything smaller then ??????