PDA

View Full Version : Street Photography Now : Sophie Howarth & Stephen McLaren

EddieB
17th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Wandering through Waterstones in Glasgow yesterday while waiting for my lovely wife to finish her shopping (so I had plenty of time for browsing :rolleyes:...) and found this book. I'd seen links to it on Matt Stuart's website - www.mattstuart.com - (or maybe it was links from there), but I prefer to see a book in my hands rather than buy it unseen on the internet. Fortunately, the Glasgow Waterstones branch has a pretty active photography section; stuff always coming in (and being bought).

240 pages or thereabouts with about 300 pic's. Interesting point made in the book - 300 photographs at around 1/250th second each means the whole book covers less than a couple of seconds of life.

Quite a few "wish I'd taken that" pictures - plenty of film users in there, even a section on "set-up" street photographs (which I would have thought taboo, given the candid nature of the traditional street shoot - but the photographers raised some good points for discussion in support of the idea).

Plenty of text and words from the featured photographers - doesn't look like many countries have been left out around the world - interesting to see the variety of approaches to the genre and how it continues to develop.

Soft cover about £20. I picked up the hardback for a smidgeon under £30 (well, my wife hadn't come back at that point ;)). It'll keep me busy looking and reading for a little while...

EddieB

Dave miller
18th July 2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks Eddie and thanks also for the link, I've just had a skip through the B&W section and there is humour in depth there, well worth a look.

Trevor Crone
18th July 2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks Eddie, enjoyed the link and forwarded it to a friend who is an avid street photographer.