PDA

View Full Version : Somerset

Dave miller
7th January 2009, 12:27 PM
I’ve been persuaded to book a summer holiday in Somerset, is there anything vaguely photogenic there that I should prepare to point a camera at? :cool:

Argentum
7th January 2009, 01:09 PM
wells cathedral

glastonbury tor, speaking of which, are you thinking of going to the festival in which case a plethora or rock and roll stars, has beens and wannabes amongst others.

cheddar gorge which means caves with staglactites and stalagmites but they will be illuminated with some kind of lighting and you may not have time to stop and setup up your 10x8.

I'm sure there are 100s of less touristy things to visit and plenty of coast to wander.

Oh, and lots of flat reclaimed marshland covered with cows and which is prone to flooding.

Apart from that can't think of anything.

wiesmier
7th January 2009, 02:44 PM
Kilve beach, Watchet harbour, Somerset Levels - incl Bishops fish house, Ebor Gorge, bore on River Parrot, Priddy horse fair, various cider and cider brandy makers. Nothing much.

Julie Long
7th January 2009, 03:52 PM
Dave,

I've just returned from Somerset. Exmoor is located within Somerset and there is some wonderful landscape photography all over the moors and surrounding viallges nad bays. One of my favourites is Porlock Bay, Bossington and Arlesford.

julie

Peter Hogan
7th January 2009, 04:15 PM
Be positive Dave and look on the bright side. Somerset is only a stone's throw from Devon....

Dave miller
7th January 2009, 04:28 PM
Be positive Dave and look on the bright side. Somerset is only a stone's throw from Devon....

Didn't know the natives where like that; but thanks for the warning, I shall keep well away from the border. :D

Trevor Crone
7th January 2009, 04:40 PM
I’ve been persuaded to book a summer holiday in Somerset, is there anything vaguely photogenic there that I should prepare to point a camera at? :cool:

Weston, Clevedon, Blue Anchor Bay, Porlock, Watchet, wonderful coastal locations. You will have a field day, or week. I must get back there some time:)

Rob Archer
7th January 2009, 06:08 PM
The view south from the top of the Mendips above Cheddar Gorge in the early morning or late evening (assuming it's not chucking it down!) is wonderful. With a long lens Glastobury Tor appears to float in the distance. If the light's c**p get your self a Good Beer Guide and retire to a good pub - there's no shortage of them in Somerset!

Rob

Argentum
7th January 2009, 06:24 PM
If you head exemoor way then Dulverton is a pleasant place and the clapper bridge at Tarr Steps is nearby. A pleasant walk up the river barle from Tarr steps takes you to Hawkridge and good pub as I remember from my youth.

Dave miller
7th January 2009, 06:34 PM
If you head exemoor way then Dulverton is a pleasant place and the clapper bridge at Tarr Steps is nearby. A pleasant walk up the river barle from Tarr steps takes you to Hawkridge and good pub as I remember from my youth.

Tarr Steps is on my list. As I remember all pubs were good in my youth; at least I can't remember being thrown out of a bad one. ;)

Argentum
7th January 2009, 06:45 PM
Tarr Steps is on my list. As I remember all pubs were good in my youth; at least I can't remember being thrown out of a bad one. ;)
There used to be a really great country hotel at tarr steps which I visted several times. Unfortunately it's now a private house or I would have suggested staying there. Good salmon fishing on the Barle but wrong time of year for that in summer.

Mike O'Pray
7th January 2009, 06:46 PM
Didn't know the natives where like that; but thanks for the warning, I shall keep well away from the border. :D

If you annoy the natives and have to run, make sure they don't catch you by the Quantocks:D

Sorry I couldn't resist. Put it down to watching too many Carry-on films over the Xmas hols.

Mike