PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Bristol

toffeezebra
7th January 2009, 08:36 PM
Hello

Just saw your forum mentioned in Black and White Photography magazine and decided to register. Thank you for having me.

My habit started about this time last year so it must be almost an anniversary. Almost one year in the dark but I think I've now seen the light.

You see, 12 months ago I went back to my photographic youth and rediscovered the reasons why I love taking pictures so much. I realised the whole digital revolution had spoiled the hobby I used to love. I had gotten so bogged down in technology and camera functionality, that the equipment and owning and upgrading it became more important than the simple art of photography. I confess, I'm over that now, and have produced some good work over the past year. Its a good start but I feel like the shackles have now been removed. I'm glad I didn't let go of my old film camera.

I'm interested in joining your forum more to discuss the art of photography, techniques and printing rather than the technology that is used to produce the work.

Best wishes

John

Rob Archer
7th January 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi John
Sounds like you'll find yourself at home here!

Welcome

Rob

Dave miller
7th January 2009, 09:04 PM
Welcome John, more facilities for discussion coming here soon.

Victor Krag
7th January 2009, 10:02 PM
Greetings from California, nice intro. You know though, speaking for myself and few others, us film types like to upgrade almost as much as digi-heads. I just upgraded my gear from 1951 4x5 to a 1956 4x5 10 months ago! AND, I'm constantly "upgrading' my film / dev combination, too.

Barry
7th January 2009, 10:07 PM
Welcome John, you have found the right place.

Bob
7th January 2009, 10:52 PM
Welcome aboard John.

Have fun, Bob.

Trevor Crone
8th January 2009, 12:17 AM
Welcome to FADU John, I like your philosophy.

Peter Hogan
8th January 2009, 07:42 AM
Welcome back into the fold John.

David Lingham
8th January 2009, 08:06 AM
Welcome John. Good intro.

Andrew Bartram
8th January 2009, 08:15 AM
Welcome John,
Conversations I've had with RK photographics (importers of the excellent Meopta Magnafax Enlargers) seem to add weight to your point of view. They say that so many students in particular are turning to silver based photography having signed up to the inevitable digi course at college.

B&W Neil
8th January 2009, 09:19 AM
Hello

........ Almost one year in the dark but I think I've now seen the ligh....

John

Hi John and welcome to FADU. Good that you have found your way here and I agree with all your views :)

Neil.

Jack Lusted
8th January 2009, 10:55 AM
Hello from another new chap.

toffeezebra
8th January 2009, 10:58 AM
Greetings from California, nice intro. You know though, speaking for myself and few others, us film types like to upgrade almost as much as digi-heads. I just upgraded my gear from 1951 4x5 to a 1956 4x5 10 months ago! AND, I'm constantly "upgrading' my film / dev combination, too.

Hi Victor

Thanks for your reply from California; any snow at Lake Louise? Tonnes of snow here in Europe but I'm broke and can't get over to the continent. Love to get over to California for some skiing and San Fran time one day. I'm all for trying new things with film and dev combos, and also trying new formats other than 35mm but I need to go back to basics first and concentrate on the fundamentals and learn how to use my existing equipment without getting distracted by all the bells and whistles. I'm starting to get the results I anticipated which is a good sign of the control I'm beginning to get with my camera. It's a new me for 2009. Cyanotype is something new to me which I'm just getting into.

Richard Gould
8th January 2009, 05:37 PM
Welcome to fadu, John,you will find plenty of like minded folks here,.Richard

photomi7ch
8th January 2009, 07:01 PM
Welcome to like minds John.

Welcome John,
Conversations I've had with RK photographics (importers of the excellent Meopta Magnafax Enlargers) seem to add weight to your point of view. They say that so many students in particular are turning to silver based photography having signed up to the inevitable digi course at college.

Andrew they have withdrawn the Photography based courses so you have no choice but to do digita. Its about time they had a film module so you can mix and match so you get a holistic view of photography.

Mark Burley
8th January 2009, 11:32 PM
Welcome John - I suspect you may be amongst more like minded souls than you realise...

toffeezebra
14th January 2009, 10:42 AM
Thankyou all for making me feel welcome.

John