PDA

View Full Version : Tripod head for Linhof Colour...

Sam I Peek
25th July 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi folks! I need a head for my Linhof, managed to cope just mounting it straight onto the tripod without a head so far, but using the tripod legs to position the camera is far from an ideal situation :) Any suggestions?

big paul
25th July 2011, 02:11 PM
have you tried ffordes
I brought a manfroto head from them and I was very pleased with it.
give them a ring

Trevor Crone
25th July 2011, 06:30 PM
Hi folks! I need a head for my Linhof, managed to cope just mounting it straight onto the tripod without a head so far, but using the tripod legs to position the camera is far from an ideal situation :) Any suggestions?

You may like to consider Manfrotto's 410 junior geared head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceMXdvzVpM). I find it almost perfect for my 4x5 cameras. However I also use the 405 when I'm using the 8x10, which is more robust and has larger hand grips. Great in cold weather when wearing gloves. The payoff, much heavier and bulkier. Both use the same oversized quick release plate.

DaveP
25th July 2011, 08:37 PM
Another vote for the 410. I paid about £80 for one on ebay earlier in the year. Great head, a bit heavy but its so worth it unless you're walking miles.

The QR plate is a bit oversized, and since I use mine with a variety of camera types and sizes I unscrewed all the moving parts from the manfrotto clamp and replaced it with a cheap chinese arca-style clamp from ebay. So it now suits any camera I own, and is more secure and probably more rigid too.

Sam I Peek
25th July 2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys! I'll have a look at those, the 410 looks nice & handy :)