PDA

View Full Version : Run out of stop, no time to go to shops...

TobyDeveson
12th August 2011, 09:03 AM
Hi, just a quickie.

spending the day in the dark room and realised I have no stop. I could go into town and buy some but dont really have time as I have only one day to be printing and dont want to waste any of it...

How necessary is stop? will water do as long as I keep it fresh? or can I just squeeze some lemons into it? if so how many?

The trays are 16x10 roughly and will be about half full, I guess with about 4 litres of water in them.

These are not exhibition prints and do not have to be perfect, just for personal use and then scanning so any minor defects or faults or errors can be rectified in photoshop. Obviously if they had to be 100% perfect I would go and buy some stop :)

thanks...im mainly just curious about the lemons, as I have never had reason to try them and thought now would be a good time to do so...Im sure there were times many years ago as a student that I used just water, but my memory may be playing tricks on me...

thanks for your time...

Toby

dsallen
12th August 2011, 09:08 AM
Plain water works just fine so long as you keep change it frequently.

TobyDeveson
12th August 2011, 09:13 AM
thanks david, I sort of knew that...just wanted to make sure...

after all I use water when i do film...

B&W Neil
12th August 2011, 09:19 AM
Yes a plain water will be fine with frequent changes. There is an advantage with a water stop bath; if you change your mind once it is in the water you can pop it back into the developer again.

Neil.

dsallen
12th August 2011, 10:41 AM
If you happen to be using resin paper there is one other point to note. Some brands with built-in developer need to be stopped fast to eliminate streaking marks (very rare as fresh water usually does the trick on resin and always with fibre). If you are unlucky and streaking appears, you can use a very dilute fix bath as your stop bath.

Happy printing!

TobyDeveson
12th August 2011, 02:48 PM
Very true Neil...thanks.

David, I'm fibre all the way, have been for 20 odd years :) Resin is good for contacts and thats about it ;)

Just surfaced for air, going well - the water is doing its job fine.

timor
12th August 2011, 04:36 PM
White vinegar works just fine, is easier on the photographer health, refreshes the air in the darkroom and does not introduce biological elements into paper emulsion like lemon squeeze.

paddy
12th August 2011, 07:03 PM
Also you will need to replace the fixer sooner than normal, just do a 2 bath fixer like dsallen said.
paddy

Paulographic
13th August 2011, 07:41 AM
White vinegar, aka non-brewed condiment, is Ok. If you know a friendly fish and chip shop owner or have access to a cash and carry buy it in bulk wholesale.

timor
13th August 2011, 01:39 PM
White vinegar, aka non-brewed condiment, is Ok. If you know a friendly fish and chip shop owner or have access to a cash and carry buy it in bulk wholesale.
Wow...:slap: Sorry...Where I am, vinegar is cheaper then water.
And when I think about it, it makes me wonder WTH is going on.