PDA

View Full Version : Ilford SFX 200 - Reaching its best before date

toffeezebra
12th January 2009, 05:28 PM
I've got 2 rolls of Ilford SFX 200 in my fridge that I was intending to use last summer in a fit of experimental verve. I didn't get round to it and now I notice that they are reaching their best before date which is the end of January.

I've never used this type of film before. I'd like to use it before the end of the month but I believe it is best suited for strong sunlight and heavy foliage subjects like sunny summer landscapes (which was my intended subjects last summer).

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could use this film before the end of January given my constraints? These are:

I have no chance of going to the Southern Hemisphere at the moment to enjoy its summer or alpine mountains cos I'm broke
I'll be using the film with my Nikon F60 with a proper infra red filter
It's winter and there ain't any trees with leaves on

The long range weather forecast for the weekend in the west country is good so I might give it a go anyway and see what I get. The other question is: should I really worry about the best before date anyway?

Any thoughts or ideas from people who have used this film would be greatly appreciated.

Ta...

:cool:

Dave miller
12th January 2009, 06:40 PM
I've got 2 rolls of Ilford SFX 200 in my fridge that I was intending to use last summer in a fit of experimental verve. I didn't get round to it and now I notice that they are reaching their best before date which is the end of January.

I've never used this type of film before. I'd like to use it before the end of the month but I believe it is best suited for strong sunlight and heavy foliage subjects like sunny summer landscapes (which was my intended subjects last summer).

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could use this film before the end of January given my constraints? These are:

I have no chance of going to the Southern Hemisphere at the moment to enjoy its summer or alpine mountains cos I'm broke
I'll be using the film with my Nikon F60 with a proper infra red filter
It's winter and there ain't any trees with leaves on

The long range weather forecast for the weekend in the west country is good so I might give it a go anyway and see what I get. The other question is: should I really worry about the best before date anyway?

Any thoughts or ideas from people who have used this film would be greatly appreciated.

Ta...

:cool:

I would keep it in the fridge until Spring, the use by date has a leeway of several years normally.

Argentum
12th January 2009, 07:24 PM
And if it has been refridgerated then that expiry date will be extended anyway.

But you can use SFX as normal film and it does give dramatic skies with just a light yellow filter. Albeit quite grainy.