PDA

View Full Version : The Use Of Historic lenses In Contemporary Photography.

vanannan
12th October 2011, 10:23 AM
Written by Paul Lipscombe the new edition is now published and distributed by Robert White (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=3461) excellent book well worth a read:).

Xpres
12th October 2011, 11:58 AM
Excellent indeed... so I'm not the only one that mucks about with old lenses!

paulc
12th October 2011, 03:42 PM
so I'm not the only one that mucks about with old lenses!

You are indeed not alone - My oldest is a 3" Beck from the turn of the century. Mounted in a No.2 shutter, it just about covers 5x4.

vanannan
12th October 2011, 04:10 PM
Excellent indeed... so I'm not the only one that mucks about with old lenses!

I have quite a few old lenses, Petzvals, Imagon, Dagor, Apo Lanthar, Busch Vademecum Salz II, Som Berthiot Trouse Eurygraphe etc., great fun to play around with, the Dagor and Apo lanthar are part of my regular outfit.

Alan Clark
12th October 2011, 05:18 PM
I have two old brass barrel lenses. An un-named one that came fitted to an un-named mahogany and brass half plate field camera. The other came with the camera too, though not fitted for use with it. This is a Beck Symetrical. Both have focal lengths of about 8 inches, and both are as sharp as my Kodak 203mm lens, though lower in contrast.
I really enjoy using this un-mamed camera with its un-named lens. It has a really nice built-in brass lens hood, and the original leather lens cap which I use for making exposures.

Alan

MartyNL
12th October 2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks, this is perfect, as it's something I've just started to dip my toes into!

Michael
12th October 2011, 09:24 PM
Someone's going to give me this for Christmas.

MartyNL
15th October 2011, 08:50 PM
My copy arrived Yesterday and I must say it's the perfect introduction to historical lenses for a novice like me.

There's tons of (digestible) info. and pics but I especially appreciate the diagrams of the principle lens types.

So if you're even slightly interested in historical lenses and you don't know your "Achromat from your Anastigmat" or your "Triplet from your Tessar"...etc...;)

Then it's the book for you!:)