PDA

View Full Version : Kodak D72 Print Developer.

Keith Tapscott.
22nd November 2011, 11:50 AM
Kodak D-72 is a developer for black & white enlarging papers, producing a neutral or cold tone image. It has high capacity and a uniform development rate.

To make a stock-solution.

Water, at about 50*C. 500 ml

Metol developing agent. 3 grams

Sodium sulphite, anhydrous. 45 grams

Hydroquinone. 12 grams

Sodium carbonate, anhydrous. 67.5 grams

Potassium bromide. 2 grams

Water to make 1 litre.

Dilute the stock-solution 1+2 with water. For a higher contrast, dilute 1+1 with water. Development times are usually around 1.5 to 3 minutes depending on the paper type used.

This developer is described by Ansel Adams in "The Print" as being very similar to Kodak Dektol as sold in dry powder form.

For warmer tones, dilute 1+3 or 1+4 and add 8 ml of a 10% potassium bromide solution to each litre of working strength developer.

Stoo Batchelor
22nd November 2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for posting this Keith.

Although I am pretty settled at present on my paper developer choice, I will most certainly give this a go when I get some more carbonate in stock.

Cheers

Stoo

Kodak D-72 is a developer for black & white enlarging papers, producing a neutral or cold tone image. It has high capacity and a uniform development rate.

To make a stock-solution.

Water, at about 50*C. 500 ml

Metol developing agent. 3 grams

Sodium sulphite, anhydrous. 45 grams

Hydroquinone. 12 grams

Sodium carbonate, anhydrous. 67.5 grams

Potassium bromide. 2 grams

Water to make 1 litre.

Dilute the stock-solution 1+2 with water. For a higher contrast, dilute 1+1 with water. Development times are usually around 1.5 to 3 minutes depending on the paper type used.

This developer is described by Ansel Adams in "The Print" as being very similar to Kodak Dektol as sold in dry powder form.

For warmer tones, dilute 1+3 or 1+4 and add 8 ml of a 10% potassium bromide solution to each litre of working strength developer.

Domingo
22nd November 2011, 12:10 PM
I tried D-72 some weeks ago as a possible alternative to my habitual developer, Ansco 130. I used it in 1+3 dilution; images were finished after 3 minutes approximately. Paper was Adox MCC 110.

I did'nt liked it. I found the blacks were nasty and without detail. In my opinion, Ansco 130 in 1+1 dilution is a lot better developer.

Keith Tapscott.
22nd November 2011, 12:16 PM
You're welcome Stoo.
I have only ever tried it with standard development with the 1+2 dilution so far, but have not yet tried the suggestion by Grant Haist for warm-tone development which he mentions in his book.
It has a reputation for being a very versatile developer.

Also look up the formula for Kodak D-163 which Dave has posted.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=2617&postcount=1