PDA

View Full Version : Question about glycin

timor
8th December 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi. I have a question about availability of glycin in Europe. Does anyone know where I can buy some ?
Thank you for any info.

Domingo
8th December 2011, 07:02 PM
I buy it at Manuel Riesgo (http://www.manuelriesgo.com/) in Madrid. 9.00 euros/kilo last time. I don't know if they ship internationally.

timor
8th December 2011, 08:02 PM
Thank you. Are you sure it is a photographic glycin ? Price seems to be extremely good. Photographer's Formulary sells it for about $170 US per kilogram.
http://stores.photoformulary.com/-strse-471/Glycin-Glycine/Detail.bok

Domingo
8th December 2011, 08:40 PM
Thank you. Are you sure it is a photographic glycin ?
[...]

I hope so! it's the glycin I use to prepare the Ansco 130 formula.

Mike O'Pray
8th December 2011, 08:51 PM
At these price differences, Domingo, set up an export business to the U.K. and especially the U.S. Then give a percentage of the massive profits you will make to the Spanish government and the country's debt crisis is solved immediately.:D

Assuming that Manuel Riesgo makes a reasonable profit on the glycin then this difference in price with Photographer's Formulary has to rank as the worse kind of exploitation and charging what the market will bear in the analogue photography world.

This is nothing short of an eye-watering difference.

Mike

Argentum
8th December 2011, 09:34 PM
some while back I researched a source for glycin. I came across an Irish supplier. Forget who but they told me that glycin is a byproduct of another process and it usually gets dumped as there is very little use for it. They would have sold it to me but in such large quantities that it was pointless since it goes off quite quickly if you don't freeze it. It is very cheap stuff for that reason. i.e. it's a byproduct with no viable commercial use/value.

Mike O'Pray
8th December 2011, 10:03 PM
It is very cheap stuff for that reason.

Not if you buy it from the Photographer's Formulary as most of N America seems to. :D

Roughly 13 times more expensive at PF in the U.S.than from the stockist in Spain:eek:

You have confirmed that a very cheap product is being sold for a massive profit.

Mike

Argentum
8th December 2011, 10:07 PM
Not if you buy it from the Photographer's Formulary as most of N America seems to. :D

Roughly 13 times more expensive at PF in the U.S.than from the stockist in Spain:eek:

You have confirmed that a very cheap product is being sold for a massive profit.

Mike

You can't miss a bargain that good. You better get your order in pronto and then you can sell some to the rest of us for a profit.:)

just make sure it's glycin and not glycine. That e makes all the difference.

Mike O'Pray
8th December 2011, 11:44 PM

It is difficult to express doubts when the responder, Domingo, says he uses it in Ansco 130 but normally this kind of price differential usually results in market forces correcting the situation by the cheaper area dominating the dearer area.

If for instance the price gap was this big in percentage terms in say HP5+ film between the U.K. and U.S. I have no doubt that an enterprising U.S. company would certainly buy massive quantites and resell in the U.K. thereby killing Harman's pricing strategy.

So yes, I have doubts about whether we are talking about the same product but if glycin is in much smaller demand than the likes of HP5+ then I suppose that market forces can fail to correct the price differential as the volumes aren't big enough for exporting and reselling to be worthwhile.

Mike( still with nagging doubts)

timor
9th December 2011, 12:01 AM

very cheap product is being sold for a massive profit.

Mike
:slap:i I did not know that. Ha ! On the other hand all photo chemicals is rather cheap to produce and are also sold for good profit:D Just the market become quite small so it costs to keep them available.
And I see, that it is a problem on yours side of The Pond as I can not find any major or smaller retailer with glycin in stock.
The seller from Domingo reply is not listing it among it's photographic chemicals. The problem here is, that Domingo's Ansco 130 does not need glycin to develop paper, as it contains elon and quinol to. Only pure glycin developer like Agfa 8 will show, that whatever Manuel Riesgo S.A. is selling as glycin is a useful photographic stuff.

Mike O'Pray
9th December 2011, 12:23 AM
Timor, I had a look at the link that Domingo gave and while my Spanish is almost non existent, most of the chemicals listed by Manuel Riesgo are sufficiently close to their names in English for me to think that glycin wasn't listed and you have confirmed it.

So whether the Spanish stockist has glycin may still be in doubt.

Incidentally from a location point of view I am on "our side of the pond" being U.K. based but as you said "your" side of the pond with reference to having no glycin does that indicate you are U.S. based but just fed up with PF prices?

Mike

Mike

timor
9th December 2011, 02:26 AM
So whether the Spanish stockist has glycin may still be in doubt.

Incidentally from a location point of view I am on "our side of the pond" being U.K. based but as you said "your" side of the pond with reference to having no glycin does that indicate you are U.S. based but just fed up with PF prices?

Mike

Mike
Mike, I live in Toronto so not US, but close.
Well, prices are every where. PF maybe not the cheapest, but they have good product and fast delivery. Glycin is riding on the fame of Adams and Weston and is really perishable, so considering small market for it the price is understandable. On the other hand I can see what you, guys, are paying for film and it makes me shiver. One day it will be here to. We have to live with what we have.
I am looking for glycin for may friend in Poland, as shipping costs from here are really prohibitive. I hoped someone would know something.

Timor

Domingo
9th December 2011, 06:30 AM
At these price differences, Domingo, set up an export business to the U.K. and especially the U.S.
[...]

I'm maybe losing the opportunity of my life...

Anyway... I've checked the label: no chemical formula in it. Expiration date for the batch -bought in january 2011- is august 2013. The product is -in spanish- "Glicina (Ac. Aminoacetico) FARMA".

Even inside Spain, you can find big differences between Manuel Riesgo and other chemical products sellers.

Dave miller
9th December 2011, 08:07 AM
You can't miss a bargain that good. You better get your order in pronto and then you can sell some to the rest of us for a profit.:)

I agree the addition of the "e" makes it good for treating sore throats.:)

timor
9th December 2011, 08:19 AM
IAnyway... I've checked the label: no chemical formula in it. Expiration date for the batch -bought in january 2011- is august 2013. The product is -in spanish- "Glicina (Ac. Aminoacetico) FARMA".
Well, the way to check if it is a photographic glycin is to use it as the only reducing agent in a developer. Glycin usually has short expiration, about a 6 months.
Things look bad, man. Check this:
http://chemicalland21.com/lifescience/foco/GLYCINE.htm
In synonyms you will see: aminoacetic acid. It is not what we need.

Mike, when comes to HP5 I checked the prices. It is a big gap between UK and US. Freestyle price is 4.69 US dollars, Silverprint price is 5.70 British pounds. You guys pay twice as much ($8.9 US dollar). Even Canadian price is better, $6.99 CAD. I think there are duty barriers for re-import. And then Kodak stuff costs at Silverprint half of Ilford stuff. Funny, single 36 frames of TX is 3.6 Pounds, but the bulk roll (30.5 m) is 79.38. That cost of 22 single rolls, but bulk roll contain only 17 36 frames rolls. Tell me more about price structure. It is crazy. Just noticed: in my local store HP5 is $6.99, but if you look further they have twin pack 135-36 for the same price, $6.99. Maybe expired.

But back to the main problem, still no glycin in sight. Cheap or expensive.

Domingo
9th December 2011, 10:17 AM
[...]
Things look bad, man. Check this:
http://chemicalland21.com/lifescience/foco/GLYCINE.htm
In synonyms you will see: aminoacetic acid. It is not what we need.
[...]

thus, sorry I couldn't help you.

timor
9th December 2011, 04:06 PM
thus, sorry I couldn't help you.
Thank you, but no need to be sorry, absolutely.I am sorry, that I maybe ruin a fraction of your life. You should really check this stuff out. If it is an amino acid it is contaminating yours baryta papers, possibly killing it's longevity and at the same time doing nothing for the image quality or worst.

Argentum
9th December 2011, 06:11 PM
I did a little search at Manuel Riesgo and they do indeed sell fotographic Glycin. It is listed as:

FK00056155 GLICINA FOTO(4-Hydroxy-d-Pheylglycine)25

so you have the order code if you want some.

And thankyou Domingo for providing what looks like a very useful supplier (if they will ship overseas).

Mike O'Pray
9th December 2011, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Argentum;61739]I did a little search at Manuel Riesgo and they do indeed sell fotographic Glycin. It is listed as:

FK00056155 GLICINA FOTO(4-Hydroxy-d-Pheylglycine)25 QUOTE]

So now we have establshed that M Riesgo has the correct stuff, what's it's price per equivalent weight compared to PF's price? Thanks

Mike

Argentum
9th December 2011, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Argentum;61739]I did a little search at Manuel Riesgo and they do indeed sell fotographic Glycin. It is listed as:

FK00056155 GLICINA FOTO(4-Hydroxy-d-Pheylglycine)25 QUOTE]

So now we have establshed that M Riesgo has the correct stuff, what's it's price per equivalent weight compared to PF's price? Thanks

Mike

I think he already told us that. But as a price expert I'll leave it to you to verify. If it's only 9 Euros a kilo (+ shipping) then it hardly matters cos even if it were twice that price it would still be the cheapest I've seen.

Mike O'Pray
9th December 2011, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Argentum;61742][QUOTE=Mike O'Pray;61741]

I think he already told us that.

Thanks.I was aware of Domingo's original price quote and indeed used it in expressing my astonishment at the price difference but it was simply that I wasn't sure that what Domingo was quoting in his original post was for the same chemical that turned out to be glycin which you then found on the Riesgo site. There seemed to be some doubt in subsequent posts that it was the correct stuff.

Nice that it has turned out to be the right stuff for all prospective users.

It's time for Riesgo to advertise his glycin to the U.S. market at what will be a win/win price for seller and buyer.

Mike

Stocky
9th December 2011, 08:10 PM
FWIW, this is some info I copied from somewhere about glycin and glycine, in relation to someone's question about whether what he had found was photo glycin. I'm not enough of a chemist to vouch for it:

"Unfortunately for those seeking photo Glycin, the chemical you list
p-Hydroxyphenylglycine, CAS 22818-40-2, is not the chemical used in developers which is N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)-glycine, CAS 122-87-2. In the photochemical the phenyl group is attached to the nitrogen atom whereas in the pharmaceutical chemical it is not. Same empirical formula, different structures."

Argentum
9th December 2011, 08:52 PM
Yes it does get a bit tricky with stuff like this but since it is being sold as photoglycin I think its the correct stuff and also because its listed as 4-Hydroxy-d-Pheylglycine)25

other sources (wikipedia) list Glycin ( C8H9NO3 ) with several names including:

2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)aminoacetic acid

N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)glycine

p-hydroxyanilinoacetic acid

photoglycine

Whereas Glycine (C2H5NO2 ) with an e is listed as:

Glycine

Aminoethanoic acid

Aminoacetic acid

Domingo
11th December 2011, 12:45 PM
Since what I have seems not to be what I should have, I've asked the price for Glicina foto, as Argentum pointed.

timor
11th December 2011, 06:09 PM
This is nice of you. Thank you.
I was planning to call them, just I wander about the language as I do not speak Spanish.

Argentum
11th December 2011, 10:48 PM
They actually list all of the following under Glicinia:

FK00014872 HIDROXIETIL GLICINA purisima 10gr
FK00056150 HIDROXI-FENIL GLICINA 50 gr.
FK00056155 GLICINA FOTO(4-Hydroxy-d-Pheylglycine)25
PA13134012 GLICINA PA-ACS 250 Grs.
PA14134014 GLICINA PRS-CODEX 1 Kgs.-
PB00109101 ACIDO AMINOACETICO QP (GLICINA-G) 1000g.
PB00109103 ACIDO AMINOACETICO QP (GLICINA-G) 250 g.
RV00000259 DINITROFENIL 2,4 GLICINA 0,5 g BDH

How were your ansco 130 prints turning out Domingo? Maybe you discovered a great new print developer formula?

Domingo
14th December 2011, 09:25 AM
[...]
How were your ansco 130 prints turning out Domingo?
[...]

if you want to see/analyse/... one of them, just give me a postal address. I'll be happy to send you one print.

They actually list all of the following under Glicinia:
[...]
Maybe you discovered a great new print developer formula?

hummmmm... I don't think so.

I usually talk with Ramón, a salesman in Manuel Riesgo. He has been out for a couple of days, so I've just received his commercial offer for 100 grs. of Glycin (Glicina Foto): 165.33 EUR (IVA/VAT and shipping costs not included).

Argentum
14th December 2011, 10:04 AM
I've just received his commercial offer for 100 grs. of Glycin (Glicina Foto): 165.33 EUR (IVA/VAT and shipping costs not included).

Not so cheap then :shock:

Argentum
14th December 2011, 12:08 PM
are you sure there isn't a typo because that price for 100g is roughly 10 times the US price. From one extreme to the other.
If it was 1000g it would be roughly the same as the US which would make more sense.

Domingo
14th December 2011, 12:51 PM
are you sure there isn't a typo because that price for 100g is roughly 10 times the US price. From one extreme to the other.
[...]

yes, I'm sure because I've asked him two times; the second time my question was near exactly the yours: "Ramón, are you sure this is the price for 100 grs.?" and he answered "Yes. Sure. It's expensive."

Argentum
14th December 2011, 12:54 PM
yes, I'm sure because I've asked him two times; the second time my question was near exactly the yours: "Ramón, are you sure this is the price for 100 grs.?" and he answered "Yes. Sure. It's expensive."

Photographers Formulary in the US is looking very cheap now !

Mike O'Pray
14th December 2011, 02:19 PM
Photographers Formulary in the US is looking very cheap now !

Yes I did wonder. Well Domingo isn't sitting on a gold mine anymore.:(

Pity

Mike

timor
15th December 2011, 09:36 AM
Domingo, thank you very much for your trouble.
What can I say. The "power" of an American enterprise. (And is not "made in China".)
Guys, are you sure that photographic glycin is just a byproduct ? When I talked with PF, it looked like they are "brewing" it in small batches and sometimes there is a waiting time of couple of weeks before it's ready.

Argentum
15th December 2011, 09:42 AM
What can I say. The "power" of an American enterprise. (And is not "made in China".)
Guys, are you sure that photographic glycin is just a byproduct ? When I talked with PF, it looked like they are "brewing" it in small batches and sometimes there is a waiting time of couple of weeks before it's ready.

It can of course be specially made but that is what I was told. I think the foto stuff is at a premium purely because its for hobbyists and there is very little other demand for it. So they can screw you for it if you really want it.

Domingo
15th December 2011, 11:16 AM
[...]

no trouble at all.

Argentum
15th December 2011, 01:02 PM
cheaper source but you need a VAT registered company to open an account. They are based in Oxford.

http://www.tci-uk.co.uk/catalog/H0758.html

timor
15th December 2011, 06:08 PM
cheaper source but you need a VAT registered company to open an account. They are based in Oxford.[/url]
Thank's Argentum. That's more like it. This price is in league with PF. I do have VAT registered business, but in Canada. I don't know, if it's counts.:)
Well, I checked this company in US and guess what: $78/500g, same like PF, however price for 25g sucks.
It also looks, like my friend in Poland may have opportunity to order it from German location of TCI, price 71.5 Euro for 500g and in Spain price the same. Domingo, I think that salesman you talked to, is mistaking after all. He gave you price for 1000g, not 100g.
Thank's Argentum, looks like that's the one.

Argentum
16th December 2011, 01:34 AM
Thank's Argentum. That's more like it. This price is in league with PF. I do have VAT registered business, but in Canada. I don't know, if it's counts.:)
Well, I checked this company in US and guess what: $78/500g, same like PF, however price for 25g sucks.
It also looks, like my friend in Poland may have opportunity to order it from German location of TCI, price 71.5 Euro for 500g and in Spain price the same. Domingo, I think that salesman you talked to, is mistaking after all. He gave you price for 1000g, not 100g.
Thank's Argentum, looks like that's the one.

I think it does need to be checked as there are so many subtle variations on these chemicals and I really have no idea about chemistry.

It may be that the following is the correct one which seems to match the wikipedia entry for glycin but puts the price up considerably.
I think the real question is which is the correct one for Photo use and I suspect its the more expensive below. Having said that the previous one may work just as well. I simply don't know so without a chemical expert chiming in its all guesswork.

http://www.tci-uk.co.uk/catalog/H0292.html

Argentum
16th December 2011, 03:01 AM
The more I look the more convinced I am that the CAS no of PhotoGlycin is CAS 122-87-2

However that doesn't mean the cheaper stuff won't work and one wonders what photo Formulary are actually selling. I found more sources of CAS 122-87-2 photo glycin.

http://212.172.204.219/abcrestore/product_information.aspx?product_id=47736&second_id=47736&nav=search

http://www.carbonesci.com/proinfor.asp?proid=5512

https://uk.vwr.com/app/catalog/Product?article_number=ALFAA16843.18

http://www.ecochem.dk/

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?N4=H51507|ALDRICH&N5=Product%20No.|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

http://www.3bsc.com/index/pro_info.php?id=41518

there are a lot more in china and the USA. See following for world manuafcturers.

http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB4755667.htm

overall it looks like real photo glycin is very expensive. Whether the other cheaper one is an effective substitute is open to debate.

timor
16th December 2011, 04:24 AM
Oh, it is a real mess. Looks like I've got to call PF and ask for the chemical formula. Funny thing do, most of theirs bulk stuff has a MSDS posted, glycin does not.

Argentum
16th December 2011, 04:56 AM
Oh, it is a real mess. Looks like I've got to call PF and ask for the chemical formula. Funny thing do, most of theirs bulk stuff has a MSDS posted, glycin does not.

I just did a little non scientific research.

I think (and I am no expert and have no chemical knowledge) that this one is a common substitute which is faster acting. Foto Glycin is a slow developer. Whether this one is long lasting I don't know.

CAS 22818-40-2

http://www.tci-uk.co.uk/catalog/H0758.html

This one is the real McCoy and is slower working and has high capacity and oxidIses very slowly meaning its tray life is very long.

CAS 122-87-2

http://www.tci-uk.co.uk/catalog/H0292.html

until someone tests them side by side I can't be sure.

My bet is that PF won't tell you what the CAS number is. The formula C8H9NO3 is not any good since they are both listed with the same formula in above links but the structure charts are different. My bet is also that that the PF stuff is CAS 22818-40-2 but that is without any evidence except price.

These amino acids are very many with subtle differences and I suspect many of them will work in a developer but as someone already pointed out, Ansco 130 has other developing agents in it so its not a question of the developer not working at all with a different glicine formula in it.

timor
17th December 2011, 12:19 AM
About Ansco 130 I said that. After I've got first time the glycin from PF I mixed Agfa 8 and it worked exactly with the time given by Agfa. Well, they have to have the right stuff to mix Ansco and panthermic 777.
Two weeks ago I mixed Edwal 10. If my glycin will be false there is no way that 5 grams of metol in 10 grams of borax will be able to develop 40 rolls of film and still keep going. In reductors what is needed is one specific bond. Even very similar chemical structure might not have it. Glycin - amino acid does not work.

Argentum
17th December 2011, 12:33 AM
I phoned TCI today and spoke with their chemist. He didn't have an answer but said he would research/look it up and email me within the hour. I haven't heard back.
The question I asked was which of their products CAS 22818-40-2 or CAS 122-87-2 is photo glycin and if it was CAS 122-87-2 could CAS 22818-40-2 be used as a substitute.

I don't think I'll be holding my breath waiting for too long.

So if the PF stuff is the correct stuff and it may be, then how come they can produce it so much cheaper than everyone else?

I know Glycine is the wrong stuff but there are hundreds of amino acid variations and the Phamacological stuff is very different from CAS 22818-40-2.

If in doubt just order from PF as that is what most people seem to do.

Argentum
17th December 2011, 01:00 AM
Just got reply from TCI and they say that the correct version is indeed CAS 122-87-2 http://www.tci-uk.co.uk/catalog/H0292.html which is the much more expensive than PF version.
They found no reference to the other version being used as a substitute. (not sure how much he looked).

Trevor Crone
17th December 2011, 11:37 AM
Thank you Rob for taking the trouble in researching the correct photo Glycin. I found your findings very informative. During my past life as a laboratory technician we used the amino acid GlycinE which unfortunately causes quite some confusion with the developing agent Glycin which I've never used.

Argentum
17th December 2011, 01:25 PM
Thank you Rob for taking the trouble in researching the correct photo Glycin. I found your findings very informative. During my past life as a laboratory technician we used the amino acid GlycinE which unfortunately causes quite some confusion with the developing agent Glycin which I've never used.

reading Mees shows dozens of variations but its the reaction with other chemicals in the brew that counts as much as anything which is why I still suspect that cheaper version would work. Maybe differently but I rekon it might be worth a try.

Argentum
18th December 2011, 10:13 AM
and just for your information, Mees calls photo glycin "p-Hydroxy-phenylaminoacetic acid"

whereas CAS 122-87-2 is called "N-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)glycine"

so go figure cos I don't think they are all the same.

timor
18th December 2011, 11:10 AM
Photographic glycin has many names. International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) name for it is 2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)aminoacetic acid. Both names you gave are correct to. Everything is CAS 122-87-2.
As far as I know it is not a byproduct of some other process but has to be synthesized in own, costly way. The other problem is a short shelf life. In developer however lasts much longer then metol.
If you check names for metol it is even bigger mess. The IUPAC name is 4-(methylamino)phenol sulfate, but there is also N-methyl-p-aminophenol sulfate, p-(methylamino)phenol sulfate, monomethyl-p-aminophenol hemisulfate and the whole host of names like Metol, Elon, Rhodol, Enel, Viterol, Scalol, Genol, Satrapol. And everything is CAS 55-55-0.
In reality I don't want to be a chemist:eek: I just want the right stuff for my hobby:rolleyes:

Argentum
19th December 2011, 03:11 AM
I think its expensive because it has very small demand and therefore recovering it for a small number of people is a relatively expensive business. There are no economies of scale.

timor
19th December 2011, 08:37 PM
That is a factor for sure.

Stocky
19th December 2011, 09:06 PM
My Glycin from the formulary is labeled CAS 122-87-2.

Argentum
20th December 2011, 02:14 AM
My Glycin from the formulary is labeled CAS 122-87-2.
That's good to know. Now why is it much cheaper from PF than everywhere else?

Argentum
20th December 2011, 04:12 AM
downloaded the PF catalog and it is listed as:

Glycin (N-(parahydroxyphenyl)glycine)

timor
20th December 2011, 04:44 PM
That's good to know. Now why is it much cheaper from PF than everywhere else?
Why Ilford films are twice the price of similar Kodak films ? Everywhere ? However Europe pays always double than America. I think PF is sort of family business oriented for photography only. Their bottom line might be much lower, then a big, public corporation, when comes to small, marginal production quantities. Then tax differences.

kev curry
21st December 2011, 07:57 AM
Has this thread established anything definative yet?

Is the Madrid glycin photo grade and suitable for preparing Ansco 130 or not?

timor
21st December 2011, 09:11 AM
Looks like we established the CAS number of the photographic glycin, looks like Madrit has it on the list, but there is still question of availability and price.

Argentum
21st December 2011, 10:27 AM
Has this thread established anything definative yet?

Is the Madrid glycin photo grade and suitable for preparing Ansco 130 or not?

yes we established the stuff that domingo has that was cheap is the wrong stuff and that madrid does have the right stuff but its about ten times more expensive than the stuff you can get from photo formulary in the US. The only thing we haven't established is whether there is a cheaper substitute so for now get it from the US or check out prices from the list of european suppliers I gave.

kev curry
21st December 2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for sorting all that out Argentum. Cheers.

Bob
3rd January 2012, 06:19 PM
A few years ago I found an abstract of a paper describing how to synthesize photo-glycin online but you had to pay some silly amount to download the full paper (some UK chemical journal IIRC) so didn't bother as I'm not a chemist and the details may well have been beyond my O-level chemistry...

When I made up A-130 in the past I just ordered the glycin from the Photographers' Formulary: it arrived here in the UK in under two weeks I recall and was fine.

Cheers, Bob.

timor
4th January 2012, 06:02 AM
Thank's Bob. My idea behind this tread was to find a supplier of photographic glycin in Europe, as shipping costs from US maybe to high.

Mike O'Pray
4th January 2012, 08:19 PM
As the thread is question about glycin and mine is hopefully a simple one with hopefully a simple answer I thought it might be permissible to include it here.

What does glycin do that's different from other paper devs to make it worthwhile getting despite price and shipping involved?

Simply curiosity on my part rather than the start of a quest for a new dev so a short and pithy answer will suffice

Thanks

Mike

Argentum
4th January 2012, 09:10 PM
Ansco 130 has a reputation for richness of shadow tones and delicate highlights and the one that I think a lot of people really like is that it has high capacity compared to other developers and doesn't oxidise like most developers which means you can leave it out in your trays for days on end between printing sessions.

Oh, and Ansel Adams amongst others, said he used it so it must be good :rolleyes:

Miha
4th January 2012, 09:16 PM
Glycin use to be advised to those allergic to metol. This was from the pre phenidone area.

There are at least two glycin based developers available in Europe.

timor
5th January 2012, 05:09 PM
Glycin is used not only for paper development but also for film. One of the most elusive (at least for us, amateurs) film developers, contains it. Namely panthermic 777, stuff used by many masters ( maybe not by A.A. for that instant).