PDA

View Full Version : The One Show; material required.

Dave miller
23rd January 2012, 09:41 AM
I have received the following email from Hannah Patnick, a researcher for the BBC's The One Show which is self explanatory, however there isn't much time, so if you want to get involved ring straight away.

The BBC’s One Show is doing a story on the history of Kodak cameras and film photography. The piece will be broadcast on Wednesday (25th January) and I was hoping you might be able to help!

We are looking to speak to anyone who has a love for Kodak cameras and film photography.
The idea is that we can give an insight into how Kodak has changed the lives of people in the UK.
I’m sorry for the short notice but would love to hear from you or any of your members who might have a story to tell about their old Kodak pictures.

Please feel free to contact me on 0208 008 5655.

If she wants to know you may tell her you saw her request here. :)

Mike O'Pray
25th January 2012, 05:27 PM
I'll watch the show with interest. I had a suspicion that it might present the end of Kodak film as a "fait accompli" and it would be a kind of an obituary. Then I thought this was cynical of me but I have since learned that in the Rochester area the headline seems to be that Kodak can't even pay its utility bills. This may be simply about a delay in releasing the money under Chapter 11 rules We have to hope so

If the BBC can confirm this then I'd be amazed if this doesn't figure in the programme.

However the presentation is made it might be difficult to avoid the impression that Kodak film is on its way out which isn't helpful to its sales in the U.K.

It will be worth watching tonight

Mike

Argentum
25th January 2012, 06:11 PM
A little nostalgia

http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/menu_technic_kodakfilm_hbw.htm

ironic it closes with the line: Use it while you can...

Argentum
25th January 2012, 06:19 PM
Interesting article down left hand side...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19870313&id=oz5WAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BOoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3602,3942872

Mike O'Pray
25th January 2012, 08:10 PM
Well the One Show feature was on the one hand lightweight but on the other was sympathetic to the use of film. There was nostalgia and no " nail was driven into the coffin" although John Sargeant was bound to use the phrase "end of an era".

It is what broadcasters do.

Mike

Dave miller
26th January 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm glad that I didn't stay up to watch it. ;)

Trevor Crone
26th January 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm glad that I didn't stay up to watch it. ;)

Me too and it reads that they didn't allow themselves enough time to research it properly/thoroughly.

MartinWaller
26th January 2012, 12:28 PM
"The One Show" is notoriously fluffy and superficial - it tries to cram in chat - serious news - comedy - in fact everything but the kitchen sink. The end result is that nothing is covered to a sufficient degree. The Friday show is better as they have longer to develop subjects (I really didn't intend the pun).

Martin

Argentum
26th January 2012, 02:06 PM
Never seen it, is it a CBBC program?

RH Designs
26th January 2012, 02:26 PM
Presumably it's on iPlayer, anyone care to post a link?

Dave miller
26th January 2012, 03:39 PM
Presumably it's on iPlayer, anyone care to post a link?

And what did your last servant die of? :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bbb4d/The_One_Show_25_01_2012/

Trevor Crone
26th January 2012, 03:43 PM
"The One Show" is notoriously fluffy and superficial - it tries to cram in chat - serious news - comedy - in fact everything but the kitchen sink. The end result is that nothing is covered to a sufficient degree. The Friday show is better as they have longer to develop subjects (I really didn't intend the pun).

Martin

I feel there is far too much of this on TV. You pitch it perfectly Martin when you say "fluffy and superficial";) I find it really frustrating and please forgive me for 'blowing my own trumpet', but when the BBC filmed the piece about light pollution (Stargazing Live, episode 2) and asked me how I felt about it. When I told them I use 'Deepsky' and narrow band OIII filters to cut through most, if not all the sodium band which manesfests as skyglow, they told me they would not use this as most of their viewers would not understand. Well, unless you explain fully to your viewers, they will never understand. I just wish these TV companies and producers would give their viewers a bit more credit; we are not all sucked into East Enders, et al :mad:

RH Designs
26th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Service with a smile, thank you Dave. We're not all retired with time to trawl through the BBC web site you know! Fluffy and superficial it might be, but the show is aimed at Joe Public and as such I thought it was a fair enough piece, pitched at about the right level and didn't dismiss film as a bygone. It might also have reminded people about printing their photos, and sparked interest in the younger generation who've grown up without those yellow wallets of prints.

Argentum
26th January 2012, 05:40 PM
Listening to Radio 5 the other morning they asked for altenative names for computers. They thought "twitter machine" was very good. I emailed them "Automaton Control Unit, just like the one you are sitting in front of". They didn't mention it :D

I also find the BBC to be extremely condescending. Most of their radio programs are pure trivia or deliberately aimed to wind up the public for the sake of taking polls based on the response. Social engineering at its worst.
I got rid of my TV ten years ago. I'll look at things occasionally on IPlayer if its something that really interests me but most of it is dross.

Trevor Crone
26th January 2012, 07:58 PM
It's all very well for 'Joe Public', but Joe Public will always be Joe Public unless they transmit material with more detailed information. When people leave education and stop reading their only source of information/education is the TV. TVs are evolving into computers with internet access so perhaps there is a brighter horizon.

The amount of dross that is over the air waves is unbelievable. Even though I've subscribed to Virgin Media so I can view channels like Discovery, History, etc., but mostly its still light weight, more like looking through a basic encyclopedia for snippets of information, there never seems enough 'meat on the bone'. Thank goodness we still have books;)

Phil
27th January 2012, 12:57 PM
We're almost exclusively BBC4 and BBC2 these days!
And Trevor . . . was that using the two words 'reading' and 'education' in the same sentence? Precious little of it these days :eek:
As I keep saying to my son 'Become a literate and articulate person, because in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!'
Phil

Mike O'Pray
27th January 2012, 03:29 PM
As I keep saying to my son 'Become a literate and articulate person, because in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!'
Phil

Well only if he can win X Factor or Big Brother and if he does who needs to be literate and articulate:D

Mike

JimW
27th January 2012, 09:26 PM
In the beginning was the word-but people gave up on redding, cos den dey ad to fink. The problem with telly is simply this-it's entertainment, even the shows that pretend otherwise. No longer education, as it puts people in a horrible (new?) situation of having to consider the pros and cons of a particular argument. That's not as entertaining as watching an argument....