PDA

View Full Version : Pound Shop Kodak Film

CambsIan
28th January 2012, 11:25 AM
I'm sure that many of you already know, but one of our local poundshops is selling Kodak film for 1. Kodak ColorPlus 200 / 24exp, seems to be reboxed / badged Kodacolor 200

As a novice to colour developing have run several films through my camera and developed them. Results seem ok to me.

To me they seem as "Cheap as chips" and ideal to practice on. Just thought I'd mention it.

Anybody else used these films ?

photomi7ch
30th January 2012, 04:43 PM
I used to use them quit regularly as a student. I have had some great results. I have just been given about a dozen of out of date ones. Im waiting for the other half to finish with the compact so I can use a test roll.

R Montgomer
4th February 2012, 03:58 PM
I like this film, I find it quite forgiving. I pop it into the rangefinder when we are going to the beach!

MartinWaller
14th February 2012, 12:46 PM
Just found a stock of this hidden away at the back of the Pound shop in Hitchin. I bought 5 rolls - taken one roll of the boys. I 'll post a sample when I get it developed (sorry - not set up for C41 yet - one day....)

Martin

FilmAyrshire
15th February 2012, 07:39 PM
Just found that the Poundshop in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow has an ample stock so treated myself to a few rolls for my toy plastic TLR I received at Christmas.

At Glasgow Airport I also scored some Boots process paid slide film (made by Fuji I think?) at 1 per box, normally 9.99 a box and a buy 3 for 2 offer as well. The film is dated until May 2012.

Happy days!

ft

MartinWaller
21st February 2012, 01:12 PM
Just posted a print to the discussion gallery taken on this film. See what you think

Martin

Andrew Bartram
21st February 2012, 06:29 PM
40pence in Tesco - for 4oo speed Kodak film!

DaveP
28th May 2012, 12:40 PM
I'm dreaming of the day I find velvia 5x4 in the poundshop.

RicardoM
28th May 2012, 12:43 PM
Further to this story, my local Poundland has now AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200 in 24exp. 2 weeks ago they had about 100 rolls of Kodak Colour Plus 200/24exp. They're all gone and now they only have AgfaPhoto Vista and not much left! AgfaPhoto Vista Plus is rumoured to be Fujicolor C200 or a variation of it. The box says "made in Japan".

Mike O'Pray
28th May 2012, 06:10 PM
They're all gone and now they only have AgfaPhoto Vista and not much left! AgfaPhoto Vista Plus is rumoured to be Fujicolor C200 or a variation of it. The box says "made in Japan".

Certainly the original Agfa Vista was genuine Agfa film with quite a different colour signature from Fuji. More neutral looking in my opinion.

I had always thought that any Agfa Vista for sale was still the end of the last Agfa run before it folded but "made in Japan" suggests that something is different.

I last used Vista several years ago and didn't notice any reference to Japan then but maybe I just wasn't looking closely enough

Intriguing

Mike

big paul
28th May 2012, 08:19 PM
I don't know about you but I am waiting for when they sell it in the 99p shop.

RicardoM
28th May 2012, 10:11 PM
Mike,
It used to be the case. When Lupus took over, they also got a master roll. And that was Vista, without the Plus. When that finished, they used Ferrania for the new Vista Plus and now Fuji. That is my understanding.

Mike O'Pray
28th May 2012, 11:20 PM
So it would seem that the version you mention probably bears no relation to the original Agfa Vista. If it is now Fuji 200 then it is simply re-badged Fuji and I'd have thought that it contravenes the trades description act to call it Agfa Vista.

An analogy of what has been done might be as follows:Let's assume for the moment that Kodak is no more but Ilford has contracted to sell its own film say Delta 400 but labelled as TMax 400!

Sounds pretty outrageous to me.

Mike

RicardoM
29th May 2012, 01:48 AM
I do understand your point of view. And that's why it is now called Vista Plus, to distinguish it from the original.
On Flickr, and elsewhere, I saw comparisons between the 2 films and they aren't identical. That is Agfa Vista Plus isn't Superia 200, nor exactly Fujicolor C200 (their cheap version).
I'm just glad that we still have film being produced and people buying them!
I will be trying this new AgfaPhoto Vista Plus together with Fujicolor C200 and see how different they are.

MartinWaller
19th June 2012, 01:40 PM
Just got my first roll of Vista Plus back from the shop - and it looks very good. I think I prefer it to the Kodak Colorplus. Anyone else tried yet?

Martin

AlanJones
20th June 2012, 02:49 AM
It would seem that the Lupus organisation bought the right to use the Agfa brand name allowing them the right to market under the Agfa brand name. I would think there may be a 'royalty fee' involved where Agfa get a percentage on items sold. On the films I have used, I can see Agfafoto outside the sprocket holes, so it can't be re-boxed film.

It would be interesting to know who makes and where these films are made now. I know the German coating plant at Leverkusen stopped production of the film we use, but what about the old Gevaert plant at Mortsel in Belgium? Is this still part of Agfa, as if it is, I was told that Rollei film is made there.

RicardoM
20th June 2012, 04:27 PM
Alan
The films you used in the past are original Agfa. When Lupus took over, they got master rolls of Agfa Vista and APX 100. I believe APX 100 is still the remains of those master rolls.
All Vista were original Agfa. Lupus then changed the name to Vista Plus when they started using Fuji.
Agfa-Gevaert stills produces film, mainly aerial material that is then repacked by Maco under the Rollei brand.
Please, see this here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157627192445157/
and: http://keefmarshall.posterous.com/agfa-vista-plus-200-vs-fuji-superia-200-edge#!/
Hope this helps!

MartinWaller
14th February 2013, 12:24 PM
Hooray! just found Agfa in 36 exp rolls in Hitchin pound shop. Only had 24's before so I am a happy chap.:)

Mike O'Pray
14th February 2013, 01:23 PM
Hooray! just found Agfa in 36 exp rolls in Hitchin pound shop. Only had 24's before so I am a happy chap.:)

And the good news is, or logically should be, that if it is Fuji then it will continue to be produced as long as Fuji film is and presumably will be bought by Poundland and sold at 99p :)

Still seem strange that Fuji should undercut itself with an "Agfa Vista Plus" film that sells for less than half the cheapest Fuji I have ever seen

The alternative explanation that dismal Jimmies like me think of is that it is a long run of slightly inferior/different Fuji that was only discovered at the end of the long run. Fuji didn't want to sell it as its own say Superia as it didn't quite match but as it is OK but just different from Fuji's own stuff it was offered to the other company already mentioned

A bit like the Ilford stuff that Silverprint got hold of that was fine but didn't meet the Ilford specs

Just a theory of course. Whether close to the reality or not might depend on how long the Agfa Vista Plus lasts. All I can do is hope that in this case I am wrong about my theory

Mike

Xpres
16th March 2013, 03:03 PM
I was in Chelmsford today and and remembered this thread when I saw a poundland shop. Sure enough I found a pile of this agfa vista. It was a mix of 36 and 24 exposure rolls but I managed to find 10 of the 36. :)

Might be worth trying a C41 kit at home.

RoyNiblett
10th May 2013, 09:03 PM
Firstcall have Kodacolor 200 in 36s for 1.49. Cheap as long as you are buying enough other stuff to split the 7.99 postage fee. I've been experimenting with cross - processing it in black and white reversal chemistry. This produces " charcoal on lemon" slides which project with a rather nice "aged paper" look. Got to be about the lowest cost way to try film.
Roy

CornishChris
30th May 2013, 07:45 PM
I managed to pick up ten rolls of agfa vista (alas only 24's) at Poundland in Truro on Tuesday. a happy chappy. :):)

Christopher

CambsIan
31st May 2013, 06:23 AM
Yep, Pound shop offer still going strong, picked up another couple in Skegness this week.

Ian

big paul
27th November 2014, 07:45 PM
i just bought some agfa vista plus today from the pound shop in basildon Essex ,200 asa 24 exp they cost one of your earth pounds so i got 30 rolls should last me a while all i have to do is just buy some tetenal colortec C41 kit and i am coverd yippeeee

www.essexcockney.com