PDA

View Full Version : old praktica kit

DaveUral
31st January 2012, 01:43 PM
I've just been "gifted" a pair of Praktica B models - a B200 and a BC1. They came with two Pentacon lenses, the 50mm 1.8 and a 35-70 zoom. Only the BC1 body is fully functional. Here are the issues:

A. The B200 appears to work except the shutter seems to only operate on 125th sec. metering and such seems fine as the LED's move up and down in a sensible manner when pointing at various light values.

B. The 50mm lens seems to be "falling apart". It all sort of rattles and wobbles otherwise it's seems fine. I can't see any manner of getting at screws etc. to tighten things up.

c. The zoom lens has an inoperable iris.

I have stripped and cleaned several bits of old kit successfully, including lenses but if anybody can give me any pointers specific to these bits of kit they would be welcome before I delve in. It seems a shame to consign old gear to retirement without attempting to fix it and for what it's all worth these days it's only down to me to try!

Xpres
31st January 2012, 02:47 PM
I would ask on the classic camera repair forum... although how classic these are I'm not sure. Even without any tips it's worth 'delving in' to have a go... can be fun... :)

PMarkey
31st January 2012, 04:15 PM
If you look at the bayonet mount on the 50mm lens you will see a plastic shroud that you can just pop off , behind that there are three or four screws that will have invariably come loose , tighten them and it should sort out the looseness . I cant help with the shutter issue but sounds like it's only firing on the mechanical speed of 1/90 which is the default for a dead battery .

Paul

Richard Gould
31st January 2012, 04:47 PM
With the B200 try a new battery, If I remember from when I had one if the battery is low it will default to 1/125, apart from that Practicka made some very good cameras at a very good price due to the sudsidised price fro the old DDR, they were very strong and well made, and the Carl Zeiss glass was second to none, When the two germanys unified and sibsidies were lost they were simply to high priced to sell and the old Pentacon factory closed, Shame.
Richard

DavidH
31st January 2012, 08:06 PM
PMarkey is right about the plastic shroud. I've come accross a couple of these lenses where the mount screws are loose.

timor
31st January 2012, 08:30 PM
I've just been "gifted" a pair of Praktica B models - a B200 and a BC1. It will be a great kit for CLA training. Praktica B series was the last and with falling down communism the quality of any product at that time was also falling. I would not promise myself much from it.

DaveUral
1st February 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the replies folks, the 50mm is now up and running with the wobble fixed. For those that may be in a similar situation with one of these: prise off the above mentioned plastic shield revealing four screw holding the silver coloured mount in place. Removing these screws AND the silver mount itself reveals a further three screws holding the body together. These were the fellas that required the tightening up. Sorted!

I've got a new battery in the body so it must be an electrical fault with the B200 (I think). I shall attack the zoom later on when I can clear a space on my bench...and I fancy my chances in street fight with the diaphragm gubbins.